A rare happy ending.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A rare happy ending.

You can read my posts here to see what I've been through... Long story short, I thought I had left her for good around Christmas of 08'... After about 2 weeks, I fell to my knees and wailed (sounded like an animal) so much pain. I cried out to God to either help me leave her for good or to change things. I started going to church, only listening to Christian music.. I was desperate... The change has been a night and day difference... She was diagnosed bipolar and takes lithium and an anti-depressant.... No more drunkenness and crazy behavior. She has been well now for 8 months after 13 years of being in an alcoholic haze... SO there is always hope.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

She doesn't smoke anymore either.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

So, how are YOU, sad, aside from whatever she's doing?

Hope your life is full and you're finding other sources of happiness besides whatever relationship is in your life
Old 08-28-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Did she stop drinking altogether? Just curious.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sandrawg View Post
Did she stop drinking altogether? Just curious.
Yes. An alcoholic cannot drink moderately.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GiveLove View Post
So, how are YOU, sad, aside from whatever she's doing?

Hope your life is full and you're finding other sources of happiness besides whatever relationship is in your life
Good... Thank you.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is such good news. Thanks for sharing it.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I, too, believe in Divine Intervention. I'm very happy to know that you received God's help for your pain. I wish you both the very best!

Bluejay
Old 04-09-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The past week had been one of the saddest of my life. At 45 years of age, losing a love still hurts so bad... I had to let her go for good this time... She had been doing so well and then fell apart during the Christmas holidays. Attempted suicide and nearly succeeded on Feb 1st. Came back home and was doing well again... Then my 18 year old daughter moved in with me... My daughter moved in with me to get away from her own mother and stepfather who are alcoholics... She noticed that my wife had been drinking and started crying.. I confronted my wife and the bipolar kicked in.... She ended up getting arrested...This making the second time for family violence which makes it a felony..I can't have her here period. I found out she was talking bad about me and my daughter and making threats while in jail... That just further sinks the nail in the coffin.... I will never get involved with anyone with a substance abuse problem ever again... They are nothing but leeches and cancers.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Sorry to hear her improvement was temporary.

That is the thing, isn't it? that one just can't relax. The destructive downward spiral. Many times I read its chronic and progressive and for some reason I don't get it.

But its still the sad truth.

I am glad your daughter has you.

Stay strong.
Hugs
Old 04-09-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I will never ever understand addiction. Never.

I'm sorry you have been through so much. May this be a time for a better life for you and your daughter. One focused on health and on yourselves. Go after it. You deserve it.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
may the REAL happy ending is that you put that beautiful daughter of yours FIRST........
I put her first, but I won't put up with her crap either. She throws temper tantrums and has broken things in the past when she doesn't get her way. Still, no child (even 18) should have to live with a drunk.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sad, I'm so sorry for what's happened. I'm glad that even though it hurts, you're making healthy decisions for you and your daughter. Hopefully the two of you (you and daughter) can work with a therapist to help speed up your recovery. Sounds like you could use some time being peaceful and happy. You sure deserve that.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TakingCharge999 View Post
Sorry to hear her improvement was temporary.

That is the thing, isn't it? that one just can't relax. The destructive downward spiral. Many times I read its chronic and progressive and for some reason I don't get it.

But its still the sad truth.

I am glad your daughter has you.

Stay strong.
Hugs
Thank you very much! Yes, it's insidious and I doubt but a very few of them ever make a total recovery... Never again for me.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I will never ever understand addiction. Never.

I'm sorry you have been through so much. May this be a time for a better life for you and your daughter. One focused on health and on yourselves. Go after it. You deserve it.
Thank you very much. It's been one hell of a crazy ride. Wonderful at times, but ohhh so crazy and out of control far too often. I've been through 3 suicide attempts with her... Sadly, I believe she will succeed next time, but I won't be there.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

"Thank you very much. It's been one hell of a crazy ride. Wonderful at times, but ohhh so crazy and out of control far too often. I've been through 3 suicide attempts with her... Sadly, I believe she will succeed next time, but I won't be there."

Good for you. When someone is doubly attacked with severe mental illness and addiction or alcoholism or whatever - It can be a disaster. Killed my mother. The one thing they can and are capable of doing is becoming sober. Thousands upon thousands have done it. Are doing it. It's these individuals who spiral to the depths of which I'd never think possible - If they don't get sober.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

As a suicide survivor, I got a lot out of this post by our member Freya this morning, in particular her point #6:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2565280

Sometimes, helping them is outside the scope of what we can do as human beings. It's sad. I'm glad you're free of this. Hope she finds her way, but if she doesn't, it's her choice.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
today4me

I was just thinking today about this type of story, a success story. Then, only to find it isn't. I'm so sad and hurt. Know that you are strong and will survive. Keep posting and be honest.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:16 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sad#3 View Post
I cried out to God to either help me leave her for good or to change things.
Sad... maybe...just maybe... your prayers were answered. We cannot leave them before we are ready. They will not stop before they are ready. Rarely does it happen simultaneously. We seldom understand God's timeline... but rest assured he will never take us to something without getting us through it aswell.

I know I had to give my exah one last chance... so in my mind I knew for sure that I did everything possible to "save the marriage"... upon reflection I realize that I stayed longer than I should have... but at the time you couldn't have convinced me any different.... I moved on when I was ready.

My experience with exah made me a stronger person and look forward to getting even stronger (with help of SR family)... may God continue to bless and keep you.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:37 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

oh, i am sorry things took such a turn, as they often do.

anvil is right - you were not ready before.

when i got my b/f out of the house to focus on ME and MY DAUGHTER (17), i actually did that. going shopping together, grabbing dinner out once a month, talking, just the comfort and cammaraderie or her little waiflike, nerdy presence here with me, brings a lovely energy to my home. i hope you can have similar connections with your girl.