Need advice, will settle for words of wisdom

Old 09-06-2003, 04:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Need advice, will settle for words of wisdom

My partner is my brother. We are partners in a professional type business.

For years he would disappear during lunch for an hour one day, two hours another and sometimes even longer. It didn't take me long to realize that he was going to local bars and drinking. He would return smelling like alcohol and stale cigarette smoke. I fought with anger because I felt that he thought I was stupid and did not know what he was doing. Also anger because while he was out drinking, socializing and playing lotto, I was working and trying to run our business.

In January of this year he suffered a stroke. He was lucky. For months upon his return my staff and myself made sure we always had something to eat for lunch so that he didn't have an excuse to start leaving during the day. While he was ill, I literally worked morning to night to make our business succeed. (We are CPAs so the stroke happened right as our busy season geared up). He never thanked me.

At that time I made promise to myself that if he continued frequenting the bars again, especially during the day, I would walk out of our business.

My health has suffered as result. At the end of April I ended up in the hospital with heart problems. In a 6 week period I was admitted in the hospital on three separate occasions.

Unfornately, over the past few months I have noticed an increase in his drinking stories. He is drinking, he says, basically wine and beer with an ocassional Jack and coke. Over the past two weeks, he has been "running errands". Which means, he's back to frequenting the bars during the day. On Tuesday I confirmed that he was indeed at the local bar.

I wrote him a letter and walked out. Now I don't know what to do. He of course is making this all my fault. "I started it". I hear through my staff that he seemed shocked to hear that I didn't come into work these past two days.

I don't know what to do. I feel my responsibilities to my clients who have been calling for me. I feel that I handled the situation badly and really need to get some feedback on what to do to Shock him into some reality of his problems.

Thank you for listening. I have no one else I can really turn to.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Here's some thoughts...

It sounds like the business is yours.You did the work to build it.Left in his hands it would sink like a stone.

However,you can't control him.And no business is worth sacrificing your health over.You are already suffering.

I'm thinking you would be wise to consult an attorney.Find out exactly what your rights and options are in this matter.

Perhaps you could end the partnership and retain the clients who are loyal to you.Or maybe you can buy him out,and get a new partner.I'm sure there is a solution.

In any case,do not allow this to further damage your health.Take care of yourself.And keep posting...we care.

phoenix
Old 09-06-2003, 06:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I used to work here ;)

Phoenix has very good suggestions.

You need to take care of yourself and being in a partnership with your brother doesn't seem to be in your best interests.

I hope things work out for you.

Take care.
Many hugs,
Debbie
Old 09-06-2003, 09:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Yes legal advice is a must. You have definately done your duty as a good sister, now you need to do yourself justice by finding out how to rebuild your bussiness on your own. You now have a duty to yourself, keep positive. You are inmy prayers,
Lots of hugs,
maryl