Notices

insomnia

Old 08-26-2009, 10:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

insomnia

This is my first post and i'm glad to be here.I'm 24 hours sober and i'm having the same problem as last time when i tried to quit.I simply can't get to sleep.I feel like a zombie.If you guys have any tips on how to deal with this problem please shoot me an e-mail.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures
Old 08-26-2009, 11:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i'm on day 2, in oz, afternoon here, insomnia is what i'll be dreading as it get me too whenever i tey to stop,

ironically i suffer 'alcoholic dawn' on a frequent basis when i do drink. i take pills in the early hours of the morning,
so end up feeling worse than mornings where just lack of sleep is the issue.

in the past if have found relaxation strictly twice daily at 20min each time, to be useful, takes a while but it helped me. that along with mediation music as i'm trying to go to sleep

warm milk and nutmeg...
keeping a pad and pen by the bed and clearing your mind by writing down anything cluttering up space..

good luck, i feel your suffering
Old 08-26-2009, 11:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Lazaraus and Anono

welcome to SR

Sleeplessness is a common problem - I used to have it for 10 years or more - I'd get it regularly when drinking, and then of course in early recovery... but I sleep well now, so things do seem to right themselves usually, if drinking or drugs is the problem.

My advice is to hang in there and try some of the tips Ang posted...

We also have an insomnia forum you might be interested in as well

Insomnia/Nightmares - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 08-27-2009, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I had huge problems sleeping as well. In the first 72 hours I probably slept like 8 hours. I'm working on day 4 right now and I just woke up from a 7 hour stretch of sleep. I'm more optimistic now, but we shall see. Hang in there, and hopefully it will get better.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The sleeplessnes is a nightmare...I was terrible after a skinful...I'm 5 days in now and slept thru well last night...couldnt believe it when I awoke and saw the time...it was 8am!...and I had a full bladder! lol...something I'm usually up through the night emptying upon waking up due to one of many panic attacks....it gets better, hang on in there ..
Old 08-27-2009, 06:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, those panic attacks and cold sweats suck don't they?
Old 08-27-2009, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Tons of good suggestions, hopefully one of them will work for you know, if not, know that as they say in the rooms "This too shall pass." Give it time, one morning if you stay sober you will awaken to a new world, a world free of the fog and of hangovers and instead know what it is like to awaken from a sound sleep instead of coming to from having passed out the night before.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Try melatonin. It's safe, non-addictive and you can pick it up at any grocery store. Works great!
Old 09-01-2009, 03:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lazaraus View Post
This is my first post and i'm glad to be here.I'm 24 hours sober and i'm having the same problem as last time when i tried to quit.I simply can't get to sleep.I feel like a zombie.If you guys have any tips on how to deal with this problem please shoot me an e-mail.

hi just wondering how sleeplessness is going.. i had my first full night last night woo hoo!