Notices

I am...

Old 08-25-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am...

an alcoholic (I don't feel connected to that word at all). Have been for about 4 years now. About 2 years ago something happened that pushed me off the deep end and I gave up on having any control over anything. Since then I have been getting wasted an average of 6 out of 7 nights a week. The amount started at 6 beers and got as bad as 15 or more in a matter of about 7 or 8 hours. I managed to stay sober for 16 days starting on the 12th of June. I was so excited when my hands finally stopped shaking at 2 weeks : ) I went to Minneapolis to attend a wedding for a weekend with my best friend and a couple. The woman was self absorbed and very immature. Having to politely tolerate her and watch everyone get drunk on top of that was too much to handle. I kept the drinking to a minimum for a while but for the last 3 weeks its been almost every day again. Last Sat I drank 16. I woke up with a hangover and threw up some bile and blood. I almost never get hangovers and I haven't thrown up in 7 years. I'm guessing I ramped it up to quickly.
So that's where I am.
I'm on my 3rd day of sobriety now. I'm a very solitary and independent person so that lets me get away with a lot. I'm hoping hanging out on this site will help.
Ug, reading what I wrote makes me want to drink.
Why does this stupid addiction feed on itself like that? It's like the fire is the fuel.
Anyway, thanks for reading. I look forward to...seeing if this helps.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I am only on like day 34 (this time) so I can relate to your struggles! I have been battling this thing for many years and get alot of inspiration from those on here that have made it for a long time. It can be done! Keep reading and posting especially when you get the urge.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

odd welcome. glad you found the site. i think you will find lots of support and info here. i live by myself and isolate too, so i know what you mean about being able to get away with it. almost no one knows how i used to drink. (or at least that's what i think i guess) i got a dui and have to go to court this coming tues. but won't go into that....... definitely started me on a journey for sobriety!!!
anyhow, i wish you well. hang out and read posts here--lots of info to "chew on" and i find a lot of lightbulb moments in reading posts at times. and keep posting-i find participating here has helped me a lot. esp for someone who is used to taking care of myself--it has been hard to me to ask for help.
again - welcome!!! bo
Old 08-25-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

I'm glad you recognize that you need support and you will find lots of people here who understand what you're going through.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome to SR a visit to the Doc woudl be a good idea at this point, wish I had when I quit.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I'm currently on my third day and this place has helped me a lot.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heathen

I woke up with a hangover and threw up some bile and blood.
Really?

I would definitely see a doc, the vomiting of blood doesn't sound good at all!

Welcome.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your replys. God it feels good to talk to people who understand. My mom's dad was an alcoholic so she kinda understands but who wants to lay this **** on their mom?
I probably should go to the doc. There have been other bad signs too. Every step in the right direction is like pulling my feet out of tar but I think I can get myself to go.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi OddSpot

Like Nogard I wish I'd gone to the Dr too - it's the sensible way to do things.
Let us know how you get on

I found nearly everything made me drink too - good, bad, indifferent - when you do everything with a drink for so long, nearly every situation can make you feel that way.

One of the best things I ever learned was that I can think, talk, and post my way through wanting to drink... I don't have to act on the impulse anymore.

This place is a great support Welcome to SR!

D
Old 08-25-2009, 07:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OddSpot80 View Post
an alcoholic (I don't feel connected to that word at all). Have been for about 4 years now. About 2 years ago something happened that pushed me off the deep end and I gave up on having any control over anything. Since then I have been getting wasted an average of 6 out of 7 nights a week. The amount started at 6 beers and got as bad as 15 or more in a matter of about 7 or 8 hours. I managed to stay sober for 16 days starting on the 12th of June. I was so excited when my hands finally stopped shaking at 2 weeks : ) I went to Minneapolis to attend a wedding for a weekend with my best friend and a couple. The woman was self absorbed and very immature. Having to politely tolerate her and watch everyone get drunk on top of that was too much to handle. I kept the drinking to a minimum for a while but for the last 3 weeks its been almost every day again. Last Sat I drank 16. I woke up with a hangover and threw up some bile and blood. I almost never get hangovers and I haven't thrown up in 7 years. I'm guessing I ramped it up to quickly.
So that's where I am.
I'm on my 3rd day of sobriety now. I'm a very solitary and independent person so that lets me get away with a lot. I'm hoping hanging out on this site will help.
Why does this stupid addiction feed on itself like that? It's like the fire is the fuel.
Anyway, thanks for reading. I look forward to...seeing if this helps.
in 2005' i was getting into my "trying" to quit mode.. it was hard and after i stayed sober a few weeks and drank again it got worse.. i firmly believe that the affliction was trying very hard to kill me. it almost did..
Old 08-25-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes! Everything makes me drink good days/emotions and bad days/emotions. I've managed to keep my job (I work for a great bunch of people) but I hold in all the reactions and emotions (made extreem over the years by so much self medicating I'm sure) for the end of the day then drown them. I hate expressing genuine emotions. I really hate crying. I get so excited right before I drink, everything feels so perfect in that moment.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Yes! Everything makes me drink good days/emotions and bad days/emotions. I've managed to keep my job (I work for a great bunch of people) but I hold in all the reactions and emotions (made extreem over the years by so much self medicating I'm sure) for the end of the day then drown them. I hate expressing genuine emotions. I really hate crying. I get so excited right before I drink, everything feels so perfect in that moment.
I can so relate OS, that was me right there, for so many years, decades in fact. Nothing stopped me not death, not a stroke not prison not overdosing, not losing all my realationships, not losing all my material goods.

I quit when I was despeate enough and over time day by day I continue to get well and all those things you talk have been removed.

I can not do this alone. I can't but we can,together we can stop and get well. I am pulling for you.

Your post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you.

Kevin
Old 08-25-2009, 08:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I get so excited right before I drink, everything feels so perfect in that moment.
Wow, that was really well put... I am almost a year, I learn something from everyone...

Yea, that excitement right before.... hmm, I don't know about you, but that excitement turned into a letdown pretty quick towards the end.

Welcome, keep posting.

Mark
Old 08-25-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you so much nogard. Your post brought tears to my eyes too, dammit Feeling allowed to be honest is something I don't know I've ever felt and didn't expect to feel now. I'm really bad at expressing myself in the moment I'm feeling what I'm trying to express but I really mean thank you.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

((((OS)))) glad your here.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks OS...after 2 1/2 months of sobriety I REALLY needed to hear your post. I understand (isn't it amazing what those words can mean to someone)...and I live alone also. Please PM me if you want some one to talk to...or just make small talk with...I know I can always use that connection.

GLAD YOU ARE HERE!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree Mark, it very quickly starts to feel like a job. 'Ok, I have to drink so many in so long before I feel like today didn't happen and tomorrow wont either.' But all I feel before oblivion sets in is detached awarness, resignation and depression. For someone who doesn't like emotions I sure make myself feel a lot of bad ones. I shouldn't single myself out. I realize I'm part of a number of people who feel the same.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Want, another thing I didn't expect is to feel like a contribution I'm glad, that helps me too.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

In the end, drinking only makes everything harder. Think of that person you will be when you're clean and can handle everything as the person in your heart, rather than in the bottle. That's what is helping me. I can't wait to meet this person in myself. I'm a little nervous, but also excited.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats on day three. Get a plan to stay sober and stick with it! AA works for me, but there are other methods to living sober. Some of the folks around here would be more than happy to share what works for them. Stick around!