Notices

Wow, alcohol

Old 08-25-2009, 12:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wow, alcohol

I’ll try to keep this brief. About three months ago I started drinking very heavily. About half a 750ml of vodka throughout the day, every day.

I just got back from Iraq a month ago, and I thought quitting would be quick and easy. What an insane surprise. I had my last drink about 36 hours ago. I’m sweating like crazy and my hands are shaking terribly, I feel very anxious and when I walk I feel like I’m going to fall over. My balance and coordination are horrible. It’s hard to focus or concentrate, like there’s a film between my brain and the world. I think I’ve slept about 2 collective hours in the past 48 hours.

I honestly thought I was going insane. I had very little experience with alcohol before this. I just want to have a beer to take this edge off and hopefully get some sleep. (I am never touching vodka again.) I hope this nightmare ends soon.

I am glad I found this forum. The stories are very inspirational. I don’t know how anyone who had been drinking for years would be able to go through this experience. You are far better people than I, and I commend you.

I guess this turned out to not be so brief.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi reese

Welldone on abstaining for the last 36 hours...here's to the next 36....keep going, it will get better...you have to go through it to get out of it...I'm at day 3 and my heads still fuzzy...onwards and upwards...
Old 08-25-2009, 01:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

wanted to add I understand that urge for that one beer to take the edge of it, it would make things so much more bearable for that short period of time...but for me its what that one beer will lead to that frightens me....
Old 08-25-2009, 02:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

36 hours is a start man. The first 72 hours are the worst for me and guess what out of those first 72 hours the first 36 are the worst. Hang in there you are on your way. Reaching for and equally important accepting help from others is the way to go.

Welcome to SR.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome

none of us could stop on our own and we don't stay stopped on our own..Glad you found us
Old 08-25-2009, 05:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would think there would be some resources at the VA hospital to counsel you through this. It's not unusual for service men and women to return from overseas with a substance abuse problem. Is PTSD why you drink? If so there are places and people to help you through it.

You are no worse or better than any of us here, and ditto for anyone else on the forum. You are you, and now you get to re-discover that wonderful person by staying sober. It's normal to feel staying sober is an insurmountable mountain, but many have made i through, especially with help from this forum. There are people here who drank for 20, 30, even 40 years and they got sober. You definitely can too.

You made the first great step in posting here, so pat yourself on the back. Keep on coming back. And keep the faith.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR reese.

Look this is very important, see a doctor ASAP and let them know exactly what is going on!

If you are less then 2 days into detox then things could get worse...... a WHOLE LOT WORSE!!!!

I was in the military and trust me you have nothing to fear by going to the clinic and coming clean, they will take care of you, they will not punish you for coming clean about alcohol. It is a whole different story if you get caught drunk on duty.... article 15 may be the least of it.

Detoxing can kill people, people die detoxing all the time. The trhird day is the worst!!!! Please go to the clinic.

Let us know how you are doing.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thansk for serving your country.

Your entry further reminds me to call the VA and inquire about volunteer work.

Keep coming back.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thank you for your military service.

As mentioned ...excessive drinking
is nothing unusual for returning veterns.
Glad to know you are addressing the situation.

You are most likely half way thru the withdrawals.
Please do get medical assistance to be safe.

Check out this link for info and some of our experiences

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Welcome to SR....
Old 08-25-2009, 05:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Reese,

I echo Tommy's sentiments in saying thanks for your service.

Great move on trying to stop drinking. I also agree with others who have said it might to good to call the VA.

Best of luck and keep posting.

Mike
Old 08-25-2009, 03:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I appreciate everyone's words. Unfortunately I am not a service member, but a contractor, so the VA is out.

Long story short (ha ha, I said that already before), I worked in an Education Center that is meant to facilitate service members getting their degrees. We had just opened the center 9 months prior and serviced 150,000 bored service members that wanted to use tuition assistance. We were super busy and I was counseling 80 service members a day with questions that were going to determine the rest of their lives. Plus there was a lot of tension in the center, due to personality conflicts. I was also one man working with ten women. I kind of felt like a husband with ten wives. I couldn't walk into my place of work without immediately hearing my name from three different places for help. Plus I had loved a woman that didn't want me for two years and in the mean time she got married. I starting drinking soon after she left.

On top of everything else, we worked 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Well anyway, after seven months it got to me.

(If you bothered to read all that, thanks for listening to me rant.)

If I were to pursue a detox option, where can I look exactly? I do not have health insurance, but I could afford it.

Again, I appreciate everyone's words and help.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Reese
welcome to SR

I'm not in the United States but I know the Salvation Army run many free programmes for detox and rehab...and you can always go to your local ER if you feel worried.

edit: I'm sorry...I see you said you *could* afford it

I believe this very site has many rehab options -go to the very top of the page here - left hand side - and click resources...it's a start

Please check out the link Carol provided too - I found it very useful

D
Old 08-25-2009, 04:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

The best thing is to talk to your dr. Detoxing from alcohol can be very dangerous.

I'm so glad that you found us and that you are seeking support.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Reese321 View Post
I appreciate everyone's words. Unfortunately I am not a service member, but a contractor, so the VA is out.

Long story short (ha ha, I said that already before), I worked in an Education Center that is meant to facilitate service members getting their degrees. We had just opened the center 9 months prior and serviced 150,000 bored service members that wanted to use tuition assistance. We were super busy and I was counseling 80 service members a day with questions that were going to determine the rest of their lives. Plus there was a lot of tension in the center, due to personality conflicts. I was also one man working with ten women. I kind of felt like a husband with ten wives. I couldn't walk into my place of work without immediately hearing my name from three different places for help. Plus I had loved a woman that didn't want me for two years and in the mean time she got married. I starting drinking soon after she left.

On top of everything else, we worked 12 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Well anyway, after seven months it got to me.

(If you bothered to read all that, thanks for listening to me rant.)

If I were to pursue a detox option, where can I look exactly? I do not have health insurance, but I could afford it.

Again, I appreciate everyone's words and help.
Go to Google. Type in the name of your state or the closest big city and "detox." You should get several results. Just start calling them and find out what their rates are. When you find one you like, ask them for a referral to a good addiction counselor. They can help you through your recovery and get to the heart of overcoming the reasons you drank in the first place. Don't be intimidated by therapy, it is very beneficial. And ask them about techniques for relapse prevention. Also, find an AA meeting you like (you may have to visit several of them) or a LifeRing or SMARTRecovery meeting, or Rational Recovery, if you prefer secular help. And keep coming back here.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Please be safe while going thru withdrawals. Seeing your doctor is a wise move. AFter the first few days detox gets easier, but you can still have "mental" problems. Please see your doctor to be safe. Keep coming back, we care about your well-being.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Reese... We're all just human, but some of us have a hard time with it (especially me). I'm on day 27 myself. My last drinking episode involved chugging a 750 of bacardi. The next night I decided to totally dry out (at a party where alcohol was served. Severe sweats ensued for the 2nd half of the function. Told everyone I overtrained for a triathlon. Shakes and felt like crap for the next four days. Still some PAWS, but getting much better. Keep posting and my only advice is get some good live sober bodies around you.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The Kinks said it best: "oh demon alcohol, sad memories I can recall, Who'd have thought that I would fall a slave to demon alcohol".
Old 08-25-2009, 07:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Heathen

Get in to see a doc.. he or she can refer you to detox/rehab, or advise you on how to detox safely. Detoxing should just take a few days, then rehab if you choose is a bit longer

Congrats on the 36 hours.. it'll get easier, physically. Good to have some support in place for the mental/emotional stuff tho!

Welcome!
Old 08-25-2009, 07:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Contractor huh?

I was one of those too.

You still served the U.S. troops in Iraq, thanks.

Rehab? I've heard glowing reports about Hazelden.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:20 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

"You are far better people than I, and I commend you."

You fought for our freedom, and frankly, people take the ****. My fiance's bro is still scarred from his melitia experience.

I, unlinke others, fully appreciate the job you do.
Mate, take a timeout, no-one owes you anything.. BOLLOCKS.

I could do your job, but I havent. Seriously take it real easy for a while.
Thankyou for being 'over there', the courage you must have is unreal, no-one owes you ANYTHING..... peace bro, some of my best mates are soldiers, I thank you.
You had a job to do, and you DID.

On that, I commend YOU.

I dont take it lightly either,
Andy

Be safe mate