Notices

too smart?

Old 08-23-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

too smart?

hello - any help/advice is much appreciated...
i'm 32 and have been sober no longer than 8 months in the past 10 years...that was through AA. i'm currently trying to wean myself, although am afraid that i'll just have to go through the dt's and quit cold turkey....i don't have insurance and haven't had a doctor for about 2 years, so i can't go and get a prescription to ease the withdrawal...i drank 2 5ths of bourbon and 2 six packs over the past 2 days, and have gotten myself into a binge...i drank today at around 2:00 and have a case of beer to try and make myself feel more comfortable...if i could wake up tomorrow and not feel horrible i would love that, but i don't know if that is possible....my plan now is to get to sleep tonight and drink when i need to tomorrow...i've been to 4 rehabs and went to AA when i was 21...i guesss i should call someone from my list but i feel ashamed....i dont' want to worry my family, and i feel alone...how can i just wean myself? i've never been capable beofre, but it's my hope now that i can do it, because i don't want to have to go through walking and pacing all night and being beside myself
Old 08-23-2009, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can go to the emergency. They must treat you even if you dont have insurance. You can also check out Salvation Army or teen Challenge. PLEASE call your list from AA, they may know of some great local resources. Do not attempt to get off alcohol by yourself, withdrawal can be DEADLY. The little ashamed feeling you have is good, turn it into humility and call AA. Come back often, we care.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi
Welcome

None of us could do this alone..Please call someone

and plese keep us posted on your progress
Old 08-23-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just sent you a private message (PM).

Look in the upper right hand corner just under where it says welcome jazzlover.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Not sure you should quit cold turkey without medical supervision drinking that amount of alcohol. Really should see a dr or go to the er.

That being said if you are able to wean more power to you. I can quit cold turkey and suffer but I failed at weaning. I always had good intentions of slowly cutting back but it went the opposite for me. I drank more not less. So I'm no help other than a welcome.

If you are up in the middle of the night I notice that there are others on in the wee hours (if you live in the states that is. Normal time across the pond!) to talk to.

Good luck in your journey to sobriety!
Old 08-23-2009, 01:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I would urge you to call someone from your list for help. That is why those people gave you their numbers in the first place. I can promise you they would be much more disapointed in you that you didn't call than if you did. Most people in AA have been where you are, otherwise they wouldn't be in AA!! Going to the ER is also a good idea, it may be helpful to have an AA buddy with you when you go, so why don't you take that list, suck it up, and make call. It doesn't matter how long you've been away from the rooms, if you explain the situation, someone will help you out.

You've taken a good step posting here, but there is only so much support an online forum can offer. I really hope you get some help and work through this. Take care.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that withdrawl from alcohol is really hard, and there's no way around it. I remember the all-night pacing, too. However, you never have to do it again. And, definitely talk to a dr because it can be dangerous.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"i guesss i should call someone from my list but i feel ashamed...."

Call anyhow, you won't be the first.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

We all have been through what you are feeling right now! Weaning off never worked for me. I don't know of any real alcoholic that it has worked for, usually total abstinence is the only way to get clean. It is very tough to get through the first few days but it does get easier! I understand about the sleepless nights the wore out feeling the next day and the desire to drink to ease the pain.I don't know how many others suffer from Insomnia but I know for me it is a literal HELL. It is a viscous circle that seemingly has no end. But keep in mind it wont kill you, but the amount of alcohol you are consuming will! Take the advice given here. I can totally relate to the no insurance and not seeing a doctor for a while. The ER is a good idea but the money part will catch up to you eventually. It is your life we are talking about here-How important is it to you? Ashamed to call for help? yea I can relate to that too, But you really need to, if their heart is right they will be willing to help. I wish you the best,hope you make the right choices!
Old 08-23-2009, 08:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
hello - any help/advice is much appreciated...
i'm 32 and have been sober no longer than 8 months in the past 10 years...that was through AA. i'm currently trying to wean myself, although am afraid that i'll just have to go through the dt's and quit cold turkey....i don't have insurance and haven't had a doctor for about 2 years, so i can't go and get a prescription to ease the withdrawal...i drank 2 5ths of bourbon and 2 six packs over the past 2 days, and have gotten myself into a binge...i drank today at around 2:00 and have a case of beer to try and make myself feel more comfortable...if i could wake up tomorrow and not feel horrible i would love that, but i don't know if that is possible....my plan now is to get to sleep tonight and drink when i need to tomorrow...i've been to 4 rehabs and went to AA when i was 21...i guesss i should call someone from my list but i feel ashamed....i dont' want to worry my family, and i feel alone...how can i just wean myself? i've never been capable beofre, but it's my hope now that i can do it, because i don't want to have to go through walking and pacing all night and being beside myself
it NEVER ends up being what our MINDS tell us it is........is it men?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by luckedog View Post
We all have been through what you are feeling right now! Weaning off never worked for me. I don't know of any real alcoholic that it has worked for, usually total abstinence is the only way to get clean. It is very tough to get through the first few days but it does get easier! I understand about the sleepless nights the wore out feeling the next day and the desire to drink to ease the pain.I don't know how many others suffer from Insomnia but I know for me it is a literal HELL. It is a viscous circle that seemingly has no end. But keep in mind it wont kill you, but the amount of alcohol you are consuming will! Take the advice given here. I can totally relate to the no insurance and not seeing a doctor for a while. The ER is a good idea but the money part will catch up to you eventually. It is your life we are talking about here-How important is it to you? Ashamed to call for help? yea I can relate to that too, But you really need to, if their heart is right they will be willing to help. I wish you the best,hope you make the right choices!
it NEVER ends up being what our MINDS tell us it is........is it men?
Old 08-23-2009, 08:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's always safe to call
Old 08-23-2009, 08:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Old 08-23-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Old 08-23-2009, 08:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

Thanks for the Post.

Admitting we are weak and powerless is a strength in AA.

Let others help you trust me they have been there.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey jazzlover

I'm not an AA guy but I figure you wouldn't have a list if you weren't meant to use it
I hope you did!

D