Notices

im a newbie HELP!!!!!!

Old 08-22-2009, 02:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

im a newbie HELP!!!!!!

Hi im new 2 this site,i am a recovering alcoholic & havent got a clue how 2 make friends etc...Heeeeeelp!!!!Marie2
Old 08-22-2009, 02:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Faerie

Hi Marie,

Welcome to SR, I'm so glad you found us, you will get so much love and support here.

It's really easy to make friends, just tell us a little more about yourself [if you're comfortable]

We are all really friendly and a little kooky.

I'm sure you'll fit in just fine.

There will be plenty more people here soon to welcome you and just as eager as I am to get to know you.

If you're worried about making sober friends in the outside world there will be advice on that too, AA would be a great place to start.

Your Friend,

Faerie
Old 08-22-2009, 02:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Marie

Welcome :ghug2

It's a great place to meet lots of new people who will understand where you are at the moment.

Read and post lots and keep an open mind.

Pixy
Old 08-22-2009, 02:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Marie

Welcome to SR. If you want to make friends you've come to the right place, there's a pretty good bunch on here. There's always someone available who you can talk to about whatever you want, whenever you want.

Wishing you all the best

Old 08-22-2009, 03:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

hi and Welcome....

AA meetings are full of new friends
who share the same journey as you.

Well done on your sober time..
Old 08-22-2009, 03:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
catch-22

welcome!
Old 08-22-2009, 04:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thankyou.....

Thankyou evry1 4 being so welcoming...I realized i was dependant on alcohol about 12yrs ago...I have tried 2 stop on numerous occasions but always returned 2 my "SAVIOUR" as it were...The longest i managed was 6 weeks...I always went 2 wot i call a text book councellor..SORRY if there's any out there but he once told me,i could never drink again...Now some or all of u can probably imagine how i felt..NEVER AGAIN..I returned 2 my old ways not long after..Then something i done just changed me & the way i think 4 ever..I have now been sober 4,just over 5 months & I know I cant ever drink again...One of the problems i am having now is not recognizing how i feel...Please feel free 2 drag my story out of me...as i am very deep...& please feel free 2 ask me advice if u think i may be able 2 help u in anyway...
Old 08-22-2009, 04:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

5 Months! Excellent start

What happened to change your way of thinking into what you have now? It sounds like you recieved some healthy acceptance from your experience.

I'm getting better with the acceptance here. I've been able to realize that alcohol and me will never get along... we were pals once but now I'm seeing that it was never a friend of mine...

Hang around and do some reading. Many have posted stories that I'm sure you'll find comforting and familiar. Don't be shy to share! We are here to stay sober with the help of others.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Marie

Welcome to SR!
I'm looking forward to hearing more of your story

D
Old 08-22-2009, 05:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Hi Marie and welcome to SR. I read you have been sober for 5 months, congratulations. AA is a big part of my recovery, do you attend meetings? I found so many great friends in the rooms so I never had to feel alone again.

You said you have no clue how to make friends, well, looks like you already have made some here. Keep posting.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Welcome Marie, nice to see more of us Brits joining up
Old 08-22-2009, 05:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Marie!! First of all, feel free to just tell us what is going on with you. We have all been there. We all have horror stories and I know when I got sober I had a lot of mental and emotional baggage that I covered up with drinking for so long that needed some attention. It was hard.

There's tons of support here, lots and lots of experience as well. Let it out Girl!!!

Welcome to SR.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the Sober Recovery community.

i made alot of friends in the daze of active addiction and alcoholism. For the first year or so of staying clean & sober it seemed that i forgot how to do introduce myself and get to know people. It took a simple phrase, "You know how to do what you need to, you just need to go in a different direction with it.", before i became willing to become involved in the lives of those around me. It's kinda funny that i had thought i had such trust issues that i needed to erect an emotional & mental barrier against the people who were helping me stay clean & sober! Through living the 12 Steps & 12 Traditions, i come to relize that as long as i have any type of expectation about what a relationship is, i will always create trust issues for me. Sure, the fact that i was incapable of being my own best friend played a part in that. Learning how to accept myself, just as i am at any given moment, helped me to accept others wherever they are in this process of life and recovery. i was here for almost two years before i started visiting people's profiles and clicking that little button that says, 'Befriend so-and-so'! i am very grateful to have taken action with those opportunities!! There are people here who have helped me and don't even know that they did. That's a miracle!!

Please don't worry about whether you are healthy enough to be someone's friend. Becoming friends with other recovering addicts & alcoholics is how we begin to get healthy! If you check your messages, you probably find some people who are already reaching out to you!! Keep coming back and keep posting about your progress.