Notices

My 37 days what about yours

Old 08-21-2009, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My 37 days what about yours

I am now on day 37 of my recovery (alcohol & Smoking) after 10 years of constant abuse

Would anybody like to share their first 2 months sober and how they felt, physically and mentally as i am getting a bit worried if i will ever feel normal again. The doctor has gave me something for my anxiety which has helped a little as follows.

Twitching has slowed down a lot.
Feeling sick in the mornings has got much better.
Eating much better
Constant pulse in head seems to have got better last few days(touch wood)
Dizzyness has almost gone.

Then i have the following

Still have aches in arms (1 in puticular)
Still have the fears/panics and worries about symptoms or damage i may have already done

I have been to optician for an eye test as recommened by doctor (due to headaches etc) and
I am also due my second lot of blood tests shortly so i am not sure if this is still causing a bit of anxiety.

i understand everybody recovery is different but would like some stories of how you guys have succeded.

Many thanks

Robbo
Old 08-21-2009, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I didn't have any physical symptons beyond the first week of quitting drinking but everytime i quit smoking (I'm a serial quitter) I have all those symptons. I've quit smoking for 5 years at time twice and dozens of times for 3-6 months and with smoking the symptons lasted about 6 wks for me. Our bodies seem to be much more susceptible to germs when we quit smoking too cause just about everyone I've known who quit seemed to get a lot more aches/pains/colds/flu like symptons for at least the first year.
Congratulations on your 37 days!
Old 08-21-2009, 07:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi,

The first two months of my recovery were difficult in that the first two weeks I was constantly bothered with cravings that were very intense, and painful to overcome...I surrounded myself with the folks of AA and came here everyday...I believe this is what saved me from picking up a drink...

I also suffered with depression, mental confusion, lack of appetite, and mood swings...The most difficult was my intense anger...

WHY did I have to have this disease called alcoholism?

After about a month I convinced myself just to BELIEVE that this would become easier...

It is going on ten months of recovery and yes, things did get easier...Even though I am still picking up the pieces of my broken past through drinking, my life has taken on a peaceful way of life that I never thought was possible...
Old 08-21-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That sounds rough, my sympathies. I have 5 months sober Sunday. Except for the detox period which I did in-patient I really didn't suffer physically. Pretty amazing after almost 45 years of drinking and a lot of early drugging. My system seems to be somewhat resilient. I had a tough time emotionally mostly with my wife who declared open season on me after I got sober. Ended up packing my bags and hitting the road and feeling much better since then. I've sobered up and relapsed before but this feels real different, like it fits finally. Glad you're seeing your doctor, I think I'd stay in close contact and accept whatever is prescribed to ease the suffering. It will get better and normal will feel like a gift from the Gods. All my best.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're not alone in this. I know it seems like your going crazy and scared your going to stay that way forever, just remember that EVERYTHING is only temporary. And once you get through it, its going to be soooooo worth it.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for that, just seems like it's the same day in day out, and a few times i have thought of having a drink just to have those few hours of feeling relaxed and different again.

Again a big thank you.

Robbo
Old 08-21-2009, 08:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Robbo, first CONGRATS on 37 days!!!

I am working on day 54 and the first month for me was the worse. Anxiety, insomnia, lethargic, fuzzy headed, dizzy....now in my second month I have a bit of anxiety pop up every now and then, my sleep is almost normal, dizziness is almost gone as well and I went and had my first doctors visit which produced MASSIVE anxiety. I had the anxiety because I worried about what I had done to my body physically as well and was terrified waiting for the results...my liver was great, both my doctor and myself were shocked, but my cholesterol was scarily high...dunno why...but at least it's something I can work with.

I feel so much better and honestly can't wait for 90 days to see how that feels. If I feel this great in my 50 day span, can't wait for what's to come.

Keep going!! Don't give in!!!

~Jade
Old 08-21-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Robbo, congrats on 37 days! I was just there recently myself, now on Day 61 and it keeps getting better every day. I'm sleeping soundly like I haven't in years!

Hang in there, it's all worth it.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not trying to be negative, but for me its seems everyday brings something else (symptom or worry) this i am told could be the anxiety (i admit to always being a worry freak) but i would love to wake up one morning and feel fresh.

Sorry if i sound like a moaner & groaner

Thanks for all you replies

Robbo
Old 08-21-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Im right there with ya... between the second a third month was the hardest for me anxiety wise. I wondered why I was even alive. I was certainly confused--why had I decided to do this again? I woke up feeling refresed sometime around day 70... I forget exactly when. When it happened I could not believe it. Not everyday is like that for sure. But that one day man... I had not felt that good since a year before I started drinking. So Best morning in 6 years. Not too shabby. Sorry to hear what your going through but it does improve...
Old 08-21-2009, 12:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

You go ROBO!! (Sorry... had to say it.. misspelling intentional as well)

Day 23 Myself. Still feels kinda like an altered universe/ twilight zone. My brain/ emotions and mental clarity are much improved at this point. Still get some cravings; but not as bad as they were. Last night was the first night I actually felt tired before I fell asleep.

Ambien does nothing for me except for making me feel even more otherworldly the next day; but some people swear by it. As a consistent drinker for about 15 years. I am convinced that multi-vitamins, exercise and a b-complex have made a difference for me this time. I am not a Dr. and you should give him a buzz about what may help you. Have gone a month before, was miserable, got my 30 day chip, started feeling a little better, and of course relapsed. Doing stuff to get my mind off cravings and PAWS symptoms seems to help. Best of luck and keep posting.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by robbo78 View Post
Not trying to be negative, but for me its seems everyday brings something else (symptom or worry) this i am told could be the anxiety (i admit to always being a worry freak) but i would love to wake up one morning and feel fresh.

Sorry if i sound like a moaner & groaner

Thanks for all you replies

Robbo
I was a diagnosed anxiety disorder person, daily meditation and prescribed medication has turned everything around. Anxiety is just a little orritating gnat buzzing aroud in the background, I can usually swat it.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're still having hassles, Robbo.
I've forgotten - are you doing anything else besides not drinking and visiting SR?

When the days seem the same day in day out, and I have the thought of a drink just to feel relaxed, or relieved....it's time for me to get active.

And I mean not only doing things to keep me busy and productive, but also looking at the idea that a drink will be a relief or respite....

I dunno about you but that wasn't even true for me by the end.

Get active, mate - have you sought a second medical opinion yet about these lingering anxieties and things, Robbo?

D
Old 08-22-2009, 12:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Dee,

Been to doctors again but i seen a different one, however after looking at my records and the amount of alcohol and time i was drinking, he again said that these symptoms were more than likly withdrawal symptoms that the anxiety is not helping with, after saying to him "Doc its been 34 days " he replied
" they can last longer and think of what you put in your body for 10 years everynight" and he gave me something for anxiety and said come back in 2 weeks.

I know i worry a lot and except that and these tablets have helped in a few ways as every morning (before) i would feel sick with worry and couldnt really face breakfast, now i seem to get up feel a little better and have no problem eating, twiching has slowed a lot i suppose,my racing and dizzy spells have also eased and the pulse in the head maybe has eased a little.

I still have the negative thoughts and worries about something serious wrong (told doc this ) and have the aches in arm, tingles and slight headache.

o well day 38 and just dont pick up that drink i suppose, i know its selfish but just would like that day when i feel like i have never had a drink (like a child i suppose) and the world is a great place.

Again thanks for all replies and good luck to all.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

HI Dee,

Sorry have been to AA

Robbo
Old 08-22-2009, 12:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the replies Robbo.

I know I've given you info on PAWs before - I dunno if it helps you to try and think of your anxiety as a chemical reaction, a part of the process of healing, rather than an actual feeling or a response to anything specific, but I found I relaxed more when I tried to think of things that way.

Things do get better Robbo - just keep off the drink, mate

D
Old 08-22-2009, 07:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
mergirl

you said you have been to AA, how is the spiritual side of your recovery progressing? When you become worried, have you tried being quiet for a moment and asked your higher power to take the problem from you?

The absolute best part about seeking sobriety for me was finding this website. The absolute best thing about finding this website for me (second to meeting all of these lovely people of course) was finding such a wealth of spiritual guidance.

I am 237 days sober, and sobriety never enters my mind unless prompted by other. I spend all of my free time now exploring and accepting who and what I am, learning to love myself, and rediscovering my joy. I read lots of self help/spiritual type books. I find gentle tugs and not so gentle shoves from the universe, god, life, what ever you want to call it at work in all aspects of my life.

What good can you accomplish by worrying about damage done? Tell your higher power "thy will be done", accept today and be grateful for all of its gifts, and embrace your new life for all of its wonderous possibilities.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Could I please sek some advice from the wise in this forum. I am feeling really dislocated from life. From my family and friends and feel like I want to be by myself more and more. I have been sober on and off and currently off. The longest sober was 100 days.

I am really down on myself for drinking again and blame circumstances such as my wife finally telling she no longer wishes to work on reconciliation. She had a long holiday and did not contact me during it and on her return I contacted her when she let me have the news.

I don't wish to go on and on but I need to find that motivation again to keep going ahead and to refuse that drink and ignore that voice that tells me it is okay. I have been in inpatient rehab but no meetings outside that.
Old 08-23-2009, 07:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gypsy Feet View Post
you said you have been to AA, how is the spiritual side of your recovery progressing? When you become worried, have you tried being quiet for a moment and asked your higher power to take the problem from you?

The absolute best part about seeking sobriety for me was finding this website. The absolute best thing about finding this website for me (second to meeting all of these lovely people of course) was finding such a wealth of spiritual guidance.

I am 237 days sober, and sobriety never enters my mind unless prompted by other. I spend all of my free time now exploring and accepting who and what I am, learning to love myself, and rediscovering my joy. I read lots of self help/spiritual type books. I find gentle tugs and not so gentle shoves from the universe, god, life, what ever you want to call it at work in all aspects of my life.

What good can you accomplish by worrying about damage done? Tell your higher power "thy will be done", accept today and be grateful for all of its gifts, and embrace your new life for all of its wonderous possibilities.
Thanks for your reply

I take so much from your kind words, support and ideas.

I have no problem and accept i am powerless to alcohol and also accept that i should never drink the stuff again.

1 am 39 days sober (not going to bore you of amount i drank) and also new that it would never and shouldnt be easy, after what i put my body and mind through it would be wrong to think different.

As explained before on differnts posts as much as i cant help it i was BORN TO WORRY, if i have a twitch i worry, if i have a headache, i worry if my arm is hurting i worry, and so on and on, This i belive is the only thing that will drive me back to my old ways and say " F... I. if i have a drink i wont feel these things or worry if only for a few hours.

Everybody has said the same just dont worry (doctor,partner,brother and so on) but thats kjkust me as a person.

Anyway thanks for kind words

Good Luck

Robbo
Old 08-23-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

Originally Posted by robbo78 View Post
As explained before on differnts posts as much as i cant help it i was BORN TO WORRY, if i have a twitch i worry, if i have a headache, i worry if my arm is hurting i worry, and so on and on, This i belive is the only thing that will drive me back to my old ways and say " F... I. if i have a drink i wont feel these things or worry if only for a few hours.
You have hit the nail on the head as far as why I have relapsed three times this year!

I was never really a worrier before, but when I started having the pain in the left arm, the rapid heart beat for no reason, the way too strong pulse, the roving chest pains, I started to worry about stuff a lot!

This stuff all happened while I was doing a long sober stint (almost 4.5 years). I went to the hospital several times and got it confirmed that I wasn't about to die of a heart attact, but none of the goofy doctors could give me any clue at all about what it really was. At the moment, one doc thinks it's asthma and another thinks it's gerd.

Anyway, this story is getting too long.

In the past several months I have constantly felt like I was just about to die.

I gave up nicotine about two months ago (that was an absolute cakewalk compared to the alcohol). I have totally changed my diet and my blood pressure is down.

BUT (finally coming to the end of the story) at the moment alcohol is the only thing that lets me escape from the about to die feeling. And that's crazy because alcohol makes it worse.

So I am intrigued by the idea that the symptoms may last longer than I thought. The docs tell you that nicotine is out of your system in a few hours and that's it. I hope that's not the case

-Goat