Notices

What to expect at AA meeting?

Old 08-19-2009, 01:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to expect at AA meeting?

Hey gang,

I'm thinking about going to the local AA meeting this evening but I'm not sure what to expect. And how long do they usually run? If I go I will have my husband take me cuz I know I'll be too emotional to drive as I'm already emotional today.

Thanks for any insight everybody!

Have A Magical Day!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I am not an AA person, but I am sure others will be along who can give you some information.

Good for you for seeking support!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by phillygirl2009 View Post
Hey gang,

I'm thinking about going to the local AA meeting this evening but I'm not sure what to expect. And how long do they usually run? If I go I will have my husband take me cuz I know I'll be too emotional to drive as I'm already emotional today.

Thanks for any insight everybody!

Have A Magical Day!

Glad you are here. I found that there are several areas on this board for good information about AA, if that is what you are interested in. There is a forum called Alcoholism- 12 step support on here that could provide you with information. I have been to meetings and they typically run about an hour or so. They usually have coffee. They usually start of with a Christian prayer(at least the ones Ive been to) and them the steps are read. Afterwards, usually a topic or two is chosen and people around the room get to speak for a few minutes about the topic and how it relates to them. There are several types of meetings as well. Some open only to alcoholics, some "Big Book" meetings. A good website would be aa.org
Old 08-19-2009, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would be willing to bet if you go you will feel a relief that you haven't felt in a long time. I have only been sober for 17 days. I went to a meeting on my second day and it helped me. People there have already been through what you are going through.
Meetings last 1 hour. They will start with a couple of different readings about AA. Then dependent on what type of meeting, big book, 12 steps, etc. they will start to read. Some people may share others will remain quiet. You are not required to say anything. I strongly recommend that if someone comes up to talk to you that you explain this is your first meeting.
Try to remember, all these people have been where you are and truly they will explain what helped them. Just listen and relax.
I offer you my support and encouragement. You will so glad you went, I know I was.
Good luck and keep coming back.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just curious...why are you not an AA person? I am very hesistant myself but I think it might help to go and talk with someone about how I'm feeling and everything.

Have A Magical Day!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Come join the August Group after the meeting. This is a group who all have stopped or tried to stop drinking this month. Read the entire thread and you will see that there are many like you.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to both of you! I've been going to AA meetings almost every day for over 4 years, it's shown me a new way of living. Most meetings last 1 hour, and while our readings are similar sometimes the meeting formats will differ, it just depends upon the type of meeting.

Here's some helpful info you can check out http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-about-aa.html
Old 08-19-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's good to check it out. There is nothing else like AA (or other 12 step) for recovery. That is, no other place to get contact with other people with the same problems as you and do so at meetings any time of day in any city of the world. I am sometimes turned off by aspects of the program itself but I keep coming back for the fellowship. As far as the specific question you asked, I have never been to a meeting in philly, and meetings do vary geographically a little bit. Ones here are generally an hour. Good luck and share how it goes.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

At the meetings I've gone to they go around the room and every introduces themself like "Hi I'm Judy" (and everyone says Hi Judy.) I'm an alcoholic,then give your sobriety date" that way everyone knows that your new, and at the meetings I've gone to you'd get a list of phone #'s from others of the same sex at the end of the meeting from this introduction. If they call on you to speak you can speak or just say something like "I'll pass this time". The first time I went I thought I had to speak and I did and actually it felt really good. The meetings ended with the Lords prayer and everyone held hands but you aren't forced to do that. I went to 3 different locations before I found a meeting that felt right to me so don't rush to judgement.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hello and welcome to sr.i started going to AA at the begining of the year and went almost every day in allsorts of weather,on the bus or bumming rides.i would do anything to get sober.now 6 and a half months on i have been throught the 12 steps with a sponsor and my life has changed beyond recognition.i have no compulison to drink,the obsession has been removed.you will be made to feel very welcome at the meeting.i cannot tell you how the meeting will go because they are differnet over there to where i am.i went to a few meetings in the states recently but they were all different.if you have an honest desire to stop drinking then AA is the place to go.it is not for everyone but for me it has given me a life i never thought possible.let us know how you get on.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi there! I've been in AA for about 3 months, and it's changed my life. They might ask if there are any newcomers in the room. If you feel comfortable, raise your hand and they'll ask your name and welcome you. When we have newcomers, people usually go around the room and share their experience, strength and hope. Just relax and listen. Let us know how it goes!
Old 08-19-2009, 02:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Just go and try not to stress... Previous posters have given a great rundown on the format/ structure. Keep an open mind and listen. You don't have to say anything...You can pass if you feel uncomfortable. I think everyone has different impressions based on their own state of mind when they go to their first meeting. Mine was "I'm soooo not like these people"....Turns out I really am. One suggestion... Try to get a same sex sponsor asap with a good period of sobriety under their belt (at least 5 years). You can throw that out there in your initial introduction if you so choose and will likely be approached by well intentioned members at the meetings closed. There as so many ways to play it. Do what you feel is best for you in you current state of mind. Best of luck...
Old 08-19-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Heathen

I don't attend AA meetings or work the program, for my recovery. However, I have been to several meetings before and I'm sure you'll find a lot of support and understanding. Who better to help you get and stay sober than other people who've done it.. it works well for some.. for some it doesn't. Anything is worth a try!!

On a lighter note.. you'll also find some really strong coffee, the spare rooms of churches, and lots and lots of drinking stories too.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think AA meetings are slightly different depending on the part of the country. A few things I remember from going my first time in SF:

1. They ask you to introduce yourself by name if you are within your first 30 days or if this is your first time to the meeting; they aren't going to force you to do it but you may as well. Then everyone in the room will say, "Hi John or Jane" or whatever your name is

2. Anytime anyone speaks they usually say their name first and identify themselves as an alcoholic, to which everyone in the room responds again with "Hi whoever"

3. Our meetings close always exactly on time, after one hour, in a circle, holding hands, with the serenity prayer "god grant me the courage to change...." and then "keep coming back it works"

4. I don't go to AA normally so I don't know when to say these things, I don't really have the serenity prayer memorized so I am just silent mainly through this stuff

5. If you don't like the meeting you go to, ie think it is too religious, don't connect with the people, not religious enough, people swearing too much/too little, etc, then go to a different meeting. It might take a bit of shopping to find one where you fit in. If you live in a city you probably have a wide variety. We even have an agnostic one that doesn't say any prayers.

You should be able to just blend into the background if you want. If you share you will probably get a lot of positive attention after the meeting. All you would have to say is however you are feeling even if that is that you have no idea how you feel.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

You can expect to be welcomed with open arms,
given a meeting list with phone numbers you could call,
and be helped to stay sober while finding a new way to live.
The miracle is beginning to happen for you, please stick with it!
Old 08-20-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

AA meetings vary greatly, please consider looking for the similarities in peoples situations, not the differences. It's EASY to go & look for all the reasons why you can't relate or how you (or they) are different.

Having an open mind (defined as a mind not filled with self) is very helpful.

Some meetings I relate to better than others. If one doesn't click with me, I always give it at least 3 tries before I move along and try another. Not to mention the people can vary too, so they can in some ways feel similar, yet quite different too.

The format also varies, but there is no other organization where you can walk in anywhere in the WORLD, be welcomed with open arms by understanding, compassionate and caring people that I know of.

I suggest you get two books right away. The "Big Book" and the 12 & 12. They will know what you are referring to. THESE books contain the program of recovery and can show you a way of life you never, ever imagined.

AA really has little to do with not drinking (of course abstinence is important) and really provides us with the tools and a way of life to live comfortably in our own skin without ever thinking about alcohol again & a free mind!!!! Coping skills, people skills, relationship skills to grow like you can hardly imagine.

I drank for nearly 30 years, and when I was finished, I walked into the rooms of AA exhausted, knowing alcohol no longer worked. I began this amazing journey over 7 years ago, and as of today, I have lived a MUCH better life.

I do so, one moment @ a time, step by step. So can you.

You do not have to speak in front of the group, you can always say you are just there to listen. You are not required to do or say one thing!

That is what you might expect. I promise, it's available to you!

Hope you keep in touch & let us know how you are doing.

We'd to hear from you!

Thomas
Old 08-20-2009, 12:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

Not having expectations is a great place to be and attending looking for

answers is a great intention to start with. Many blessing to you.