Notices

I need help.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help.

Where to begin... I'm 20 years old and haven't been sober for longer than a week since I've been 16. It started off just on weekends but now its a rarity to be sober even 1 day of the week. I have always struggled with depression and anxiety, and alcohol has helped me to relax and be at ease.

I live in a small town in Wisconsin where nobody does anything except drink, thus making it very difficult not to. I'm not financially or even emotionally stable enough to live on my own at the moment so moving away is not really an option. I used to be so full of life and energy but now it seems everything I do hurts myself and those around me. I can't be in a relationship for longer than a month and my only friends are "drinking buddies". I cant remember the last time I hung out with a friend to do something sober. My family really doesn't realize I have this problem, they think that I'm a typical 20 year old that goes out to the occasional party. But the truth is it has become an everyday thing.

I really want to quit drinking, I want to get back in shape, start reading more, pick up my guitar, and go back to school. I want to meet other people who can be real friends and support my sobriety. I called the doctors office this morning but can not be seen until next week. I have tried quitting before but after two days of cold sweats and paranoid thoughts I have to give in.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! You are in the right place and I'm happy you made that appt. You are at an age with your whole life ahead of you! I wish I had caught on a little sooner. Keep posting and looking through threads. There are alot of younger people on here who I am sure can relate to the party scene. One day at a time!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

It sounds like you have a lot of good reasons to quit drinking and I am so glad you are seeking support here. It's also good to talk to your dr when you are stopping drinking.

You've taken a great first step in coming here. We do understand and there is lots of support and good information here.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Eck

I live in a pretty hard drinking town too - I had some pretty hard drinking mates (I'm in Australia)...

peer pressure is a tough one...noone wants to be different, no matter what age they are.

But I had to realise I *was* different - it was literally killing me to be 'part of the gang' because while the rest of them would sober up and go back to their families or work, I'd go home alone and carry on the party - for days...I never stopped.

Hard drinking culture or not, I had to get my priorities right and do what was best - for me.

You already know how hard it is to stay sober - especially on your own - but we're here to help.

It's easier to do this with support and encouragement, and you'll find that here

Most people use a face to face component too, like a counsollor or a recovery programme like AA, but thats up to you.

Going to the doctor is a great first step anyway.

welcome!
D
Old 08-19-2009, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

Hey Eck...just wanted to welcome you.

It's brave of you to make such an important decision for your life. We're all here to support you, I hope you get the medical support you need, too.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. Congratulations on taking the first step. Keep coming back, you are not alone.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I hope your doctor can give you medical help in getting thru detox, as alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous. We're here to help and support you in getting and staying sober. Keep coming back!:ghug3
Old 08-19-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Detox can be the pits, absolutely. Once you're done with it though, you never, ever have to go through that again.

It's my experience that after I quit drinking, my anxiety and depression lifted. I know it's easy to believe that alcohol is relieving your symptoms, but it's usually caused(or perpetuated) by the alcohol itself.

So, quitting is something to discuss with your doc. I quit cold turkey, (not a smart idea) and felt like crawling out of my skin. I had night sweats, poor sleep, and I was utterly physically exhausted for about a week. Good news is, it's over and I can choose to never let myself go through that again.

It does get better. Keep us posted.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the Sober Recovery community.
In a town where nobody does anything except drink,
the chances are very good there are A.A. meetings.
Why not give the hotline a call and find out
where they are being held and go to a few?
Old 08-19-2009, 02:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Eck Though sobriety might be challenging at times, it is definitely worth it. Like Dee said, peer pressure may be difficult to handle: remind yourself of the reasons that made you decide to quit; be true to yourself, hold on to your convictions and never look back. Believe me, you won't be missing out on anything - but you probably already suspect that.

If at all possible, try to get some help for your depression and anxiety; seeing a therapist, a shrink or a counsellor could make a big difference. There are many ways to take care of these two problems and, as you know, alcohol only makes them worse.

Keep reaching out, post a lot, read a lot.. I really do hope to see more of you. Take care
Old 08-19-2009, 05:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"I really want to quit drinking, I want to get back in shape, start reading more, pick up my guitar, and go back to school. I want to meet other people who can be real friends and support my sobriety."

Very cool.

I did all of those things, and the rewards are amazing.

You can do all of that too.