Notices

I'm worried about my cousin.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm worried about my cousin.

I think this is the appropriate place to post this.

I have a cousin of mine I worry is addicted to drugs, his appearance has declined dramatically in the past couple of years and he doesn't want to leave his computer. He has no job and lives off of his parents in their home at 29 years old. I've been researching different effects of drug abuse and have become convinced that he is addicted to meth. Many of his teeth are missing and he dodges the subject when I bring it up, I am under the impression he is missing them due to the condition "meth mouth".

Here is a picture of him, I tried to get one where you can see his teeth and hope somebody could identify whether or not he has meth mouth. Please help, I'm very concerned about his health but don't want to set up an intervention or anything and end up not being right.

Last edited by Anna; 08-19-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Heathen

I hope you get the guidance you're looking for. If he's addicted to something there's nothing you can do.. Maybe check out a local naranon meeting and get some guidance.. might be helpful.

I would be really freaked out and upset if someone I know posted an identifiable picture of me on a website tho.. yikes.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Where there's smoke there's fire as they say..
Old 08-19-2009, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I removed the photo that you posted. It's inappropriate to post a photo under these circumstances.

I hope that your cousin will seek help and I hope that you find support for yourself here on the boards.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I so agree with smacked. Thats a little much.
I know your intentions were good. But that totally blows any anonominity (sp? I can barely say it let alone spell it) for someone.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd have to say, based on what I saw, that there was certainly signs there of meth damage on the teeth, and he looked rather aged for 29.

He is very lucky to have someone that cares about him, and is seeking help in some manner. best of luck.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to the Sober Recovery community.

A forum you may find helpful is;
Friends and Family of Substance Abusers - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 08-19-2009, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Adam

Welcome to SR. I hope you'll take the advice given here - until your cousin is ready to admit to any problem, and wants to do something about it, there's nothing you can do for him directly.

You can do something for yourself tho...get some advice and support - both here at SR (do look at the link Wolfchild posted) or by attending some NarAnon meetings.

Good luck
D
Old 08-19-2009, 03:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Focus

I hope you find what you are looking for but I can tell you this much. Meth mouth can be assumed, but not certain. The reason being that 2 things cause meth mouth...and neither is really the meth.

1. Sugar cravings associated with meth use - and subsequent eating of such foods or drinks

2. Lack of oral care in combination with the sugar diet.

Meth mouth looks just like Mountain Dew Mouth with poor oral hygiene so a photo isn't diagnostic.

I guess what I'm saying is he could be addicted to meth, or he could be addicted to mountain dew and the internet Good luck.