Notices

Nyquil

Old 08-18-2009, 01:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nyquil

I have a cold and went to the pharmacy and asked the pharmacist to give me something to sleep when I have a cold. She said Nyquil is the best for that. I bought it and went home. I got home and started reading it, and there is alcohol in it. It doesn't say how much though. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this. Obviously I am not going to take more than recommended, but there is some alcohol in it.

Thanks everyone. Here's to another sober day!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nyquil is about 10% alcohol...comparable to wine. It also contains acetaminophen which metabolizes in you liver and is not recommended for alcoholics. You should tell your pharmacist you are an alcoholic and he/she will recommend something more appropriate
Old 08-18-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

Everyone treats this stuff differently, but since you asked...

I don't drink anything with alcohol in it. I would mention to the pharmacist that you are looking for something alcohol free. It's actually super easy to find stuff alcohol free!

If you're worried, and worried enough to post here.. dont' take it. Go back to the store, ask for things that are alcohol free. Lots of people can't/dont want to consume alcohol. I know I'm one of em..
Old 08-18-2009, 01:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

People will have a whole spectrum of opinions on this bdiddy.

For me, I know the alcohol quotient of Nyquil is significant...I've heard of people using Nyquil to get buzzed, and getting hooked on it - so I wouldn't use it personally.

For me, if you really think you need something, I'd see your Dr.

D
Old 08-18-2009, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Nyquil is a definite no-no for this alcoholic, even if taken as prescribed on the label. Every time I see this topic come up I chuckle a little thinking of this skit YouTube - Denis Leary - NyQuil
Old 08-18-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

sorry.. I have to.. I love this part..

YouTube - Denis Leary - NyQuil

Nyquil sketch.. Denis Leary.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heathen

Astro! get out of my head!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

I agree with you guys. But I have taken Nyquil once in my sobriety. I had to sleep and I don't take sleeping pills and I never got buzzed off of Nyquil, so i took it.
I went to sleep, felt better the next morning and haven't touched it in almost a year but I can see how it could be dangerous for some and might trigger something. Thank goodness it did not for me.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice everyone. Oh, and I loved that skit Astro and Smacked. Hilarious! haha.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you for the dose of Dennis Leary.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi, what a coincidence that Sudafed was mentioned in that Denis Leary sketch.

I took 1 tablet of Sudafed yesterday (An Over the counter 'decongestant' freely sold in UK supermarkets/pharmacies without prescription). The active ingredient being pseudoephedrine.

I took it to try to relieve some of the excruciating sinus/nasal pain that I have been recently having intermittently caused as a result of a good 2.5 years of sniffing half of Columbia up my nose as well as considerable amounts of man-made chemical such as BZP, Ecstacy Pills, Amphetamine etc. This chronic pain of my sinuses and general F*cked up nose is one of the major factors for me reaching total sobriety. It was literally causing me real depression about a year ago sitting at work feeling like my face was gonna drop-off. I was unable to not want to buy drugs when I was drunk and I couldn't see a way how I was not gonna be able to not get drunk. I tended to find most of the paranoia caused by doing Coke was that of the physical pain caused by snorting heaps and heaps of the stuff TBH. Anyway enough of that.

Anyway I am 41 days sober and free from any chemicals in my body. I took the sudafed and after a few hours I got really depressed and feelings not too disimilar to comedowns started hitting me ie- racing heart/fluttering heart beat, Anxiety, Worrying thoughts, questions and anxiety about my sobriety as well as memories of feelings I used to get when coming up on E's/BZP and general feelings that I didn't wan't to feel now that I am Sober. Of course these are all recognised side-effects of Sudafed and experienced my most who take them.
Of course before when i had taken Sudafed for Nasal congestion/sinus pressure I didn't even notice or bother about any side-effects as I was putting so much crap into my body on weekly basis that I wouldn't have even noticed.

However I am pleased that I experienced this (what proved to be a very uncomfortable mental experience) I am only just getting over as it has made me realise how I no-longer wish my brain to be clouded/altered by any foreign substances. I am incredibly happy and peacefull with myslef at the moment and that is without the aid of any foreign chemicals. I do not need nor wan't them and it has made me realise what I already knew i.e- That I have hit my bottom at the end of my last 3 day bender and I started to feel the depression taking over my thoughts and mind as they did during that hangover/comedown. I simply don't want the depressive thoughts and struggle to deal with them. It's really quite amusing how I've come from being someone who was proud to some degree of being able to drink/sniff/bomb everyone under the table to someone who can't even cope taking a nasal decongestant. But I like it like that and hope that's the way it stays!

It was a reminder though of how fragile are "clean" sober minds are and how they can be corrupted instantly by the foreign chemicals we know we must avoid if we are to remain happy/peacefull/positive.

peace and Love. xx
Old 08-18-2009, 09:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

i didnt realize recovering alcoholics were so fragile... i mean, its only a bit of nyquil

i wouldnt take nyquil anyway... ive taken it to help me sleep before and for some reason i always wake up in the middle of the night feeling like i have a hangover, and then i cant get back to sleep
Old 08-18-2009, 11:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Ok not being much of a tv guy Id never heard of this Dennis Leary guy but that was a funny sketch LOL
Old 08-19-2009, 02:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I was told in detox that it was VERY important to let all of my doctors, pharmicist, and dentist know that I am a recovering alcoholic, not only can meds containing alcohol cause possible issues, but certain meds that do not contain alcohol can as well.

I have no shame in telling some one I am an alcoholic, I find that to be far more empowering then them thinking to them selfs "That guys a drunk!" which before I becam an aloholic is what I was...... a drunk.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. No worries, I didn't take it. I left it safely on the counter. Maybe some other time, but definitely not this early in recovery. I was actually feeling pretty good by bedtime, so I just hit the sack with nothing. Thanks again everyone.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Nyquil gel caps are alcohol free! (even though it say so on the package, I called the company to find out!) Also, when I was in treatment, they would give us Thera-flu if we were sick, works great and ia also alcohol free!! I hope you feel better.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think the main thing for me with that isn't as much the alcohol in it, but the potential to become dependent on it everynight to sleep.

But, melatonin has worked for me before too. I've only taken it one time years ago, had me right out.