first post on this thread be gentle

Old 08-18-2009, 12:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

first post on this thread be gentle

How about wanting to stop drinking without anything or anybody else? Is this appropriate?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notofeudalism View Post
How about wanting to stop drinking without anything or anybody else? Is this appropriate?
Of course, you realise that the people you are asking wouldn't be here if they didn't feel they needed people for support?

Anyway, lots of people stop drinking without any sort of program, no-one is forcing anything on anyone.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sounds like what I'm trying to do. Sounds like what I've been trying to do for over 25 years. Ok, I agree with the critics it doesn't seem to be working perfectly, but I'm getting better and better at it. I do use the support I find here though, and I need it, but other than that I rely on myself.

It seems to me that most everyone that posts here is gentle, no worries for you. Read the stickies in this section, there is some interesting information there. The peer support you'll find here is a definite plus also.
Welcome to the secular side, nice to have you here, keep posting.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Old 08-18-2009, 06:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hello, noto.

I wanted to stop on my own, but it didn't work out that way. I just stick close to the people I have a connection with and who are willing to help me...and I give back what I can.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Any method of getting sober is appropriate if it works for you.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Stopping on your own without assistance is possible depending on the severity of the Alcoholism and the will/motivation of the person. However, sobriety is a daunting task no matter how you slice it. Why not use every tool availiable to make sure you are successful?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to Secular Connections notofeudalism.

By using the guidelines of this forum...

Originally Posted by www.soberrecovery.com
Secular Connections
Alternatives to 12 Step Recovery
LifeRing-Smart-SOS, CBT, Problem Solving, Self Management, Self-Empowerment, Rational Thinking, Positive Lifestyle Changes, Self Assessment, Commitment and Follow-Through, Self-Acceptance, Motives and Goals, Peer Support.
12 Step Programs are off topic for this forum and posts discussing 12 Step Programs will be removed. Please use the Secular 12 Step Forum for positive topics on Secular 12 Step Recovery.
...I could say my addiction treatment method falls under "Self-Empowerment". Ultimately its up to me to make the necessary changes in my life that will bring well being. I believe any healthy way one uses to treat their addiction is very appropriate....especially here on the secular side.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Up from the ashes

Here are some self recovery options:

Self-help strategies for quitting - Rethinking Drinking - NIAAA

Quit Drinking Alcohol: Steps for How to Stay Sober Without AA or Other Treatment Programs | Suite101.com

How to Quit Drinking on Your Own | eHow.com

Stop Drinking Alcohol Now - How To Quit Drinking On Your Own

A heated debate occurs in recovery circles about which recovery model works best. There are many opinionated people with strict guidelines about what works and what doesn’t.

There are a few points that I would mention:

First, hanging around friends and people who drink and who think that drinking is a great time is probably not a good idea. Find some sober friends. I don’t think you will have to go to a recovery group to do that, but sober people tend to hang around at recovery groups.

Second, watch out for replacing one addiction with another. If, every time you decide to have a drink, you smoke four joints instead, you probably have not done yourself any recovery favors. I’m sure that you have met people who quit drinking, but they smoke cigarettes like crazy.

Finally, ask yourself why you drink. This is huge. I believe that an important part of recovery involves looking into the motives for your behavior. If you are struggling with guilt or depression or boredom or anger, then exploring solutions to these kinds of problems will help to eliminate the trigger for why you drink in the first place.

It’s my opinion that drinking is like a rash on an AIDs patient. You might think that all you need to do is get rid of the rash (the drinking), but there are probably deeper problems which caused your desire to drink excessively to occur.

Welcome to our secular area. I hope that you can free yourself from drinking alcohol.

Last edited by shockozulu; 08-19-2009 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Removing link to advertising site
Old 08-18-2009, 11:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freepath View Post

Here are some self recovery options:

Self-help strategies for quitting - Rethinking Drinking - NIAAA

Quit Drinking Alcohol: Steps for How to Stay Sober Without AA or Other Treatment Programs | Suite101.com

How to Quit Drinking on Your Own | eHow.com

Stop Drinking Alcohol Now - How To Quit Drinking On Your Own

A heated debate occurs in recovery circles about which recovery model works best. There are many opinionated people with strict guidelines about what works and what doesn’t.

There are a few points that I would mention:

First, hanging around friends and people who drink and who think that drinking is a great time is probably not a good idea. Find some sober friends. I don’t think you will have to go to a recovery group to do that, but sober people tend to hang around at recovery groups.

Second, watch out for replacing one addiction with another. If, every time you decide to have a drink, you smoke four joints instead, you probably have not done yourself any recovery favors. I’m sure that you have met people who quit drinking, but they smoke cigarettes like crazy.

Finally, ask yourself why you drink. This is huge. I believe that an important part of recovery involves looking into the motives for your behavior. If you are struggling with guilt or depression or boredom or anger, then exploring solutions to these kinds of problems will help to eliminate the trigger for why you drink in the first place.

It’s my opinion that drinking is like a rash on an AIDs patient. You might think that all you need to do is get rid of the rash (the drinking), but there are probably deeper problems which caused your desire to drink excessively to occur.

Welcome to our secular area. I hope that you can free yourself from drinking alcohol.

Really good post. Lots of self reflection in those words. laziness and boredom come to mind. Also deeper problems and anger. Thank you

Last edited by shockozulu; 08-19-2009 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Removing link to advertising site
Old 08-19-2009, 05:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Originally Posted by Rad44 View Post
Stopping on your own without assistance is possible depending on the severity of the Alcoholism and the will/motivation of the person. However, sobriety is a daunting task no matter how you slice it. Why not use every tool availiable to make sure you are successful?
That's how I found SMART Recovery!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Zen Nihilist

Can't tell you what's appropriate, but I needed help to stop.

I use my family's support, psychiatric meds, a therapist, a friend, and this board. Got 8 months sober and clean from everything but weed, which I've smoked a couple handfuls of times since December. Oh, and I'm a cig smoker and coffee drinker.

This is a good place to start your recovery journey. What do you envision for your life, and what makes you think changes are necessary?
Old 10-03-2009, 10:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Your Distant Friend

i got myself into a state of addiction all by myself.
if my problem was me, gotta fix me to fix the problem!
i, like Zencat, believe in self-empowerment, and so far its been working.
i look within to find my appropriate actions.
my guiding light, is within myself.
yoga has helped me tremendously, too. i include my yoga practice in my own recovery too. you don't really need to take classes or do yoga with others, it definitely can be done alone. but it helps a lot of people to know that they arent alone, even though there is definately much work to be done by yourself in any disciplined practice.
you can teach yourself anything, even how to stay sober.
not all others believe this, but there is living proof in these forums that it is done