Notices

What if one does not wish to stop drinking

Old 08-17-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Are they welcome here or does one have to buy into a "recovery" program. I was told that I will be forced to enter into a recovery program because of a DUI (AA and mandatory treatment) and if not I go to jail. That is not much of a choice. Im sure I will here that maybe I shouldnt drink then if I dont want problems. I will post maybe the laws are real messed up like a police state, as I hurt no one nor caused any damage to anybody or anything.

I say fill the jails and prisons and build as many as possible and throw everyone one who ever got a DUI/pub intox, and/or anythign related to any drug. You would see a Charles Dicken's prison society and maybe more people would wake up to the laws that criminalize everything. Most people wont agree with me, so be it.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

As I said to you in another forum, I dunno why you'd want to be here at all if you don't really want to stop drinking notofeudalism...but it's your internet connection.

I'm not in AA but I do want to live a sober life. Noone made me join AA.

As long as anyone obeys the rules and regulations here, they're welcome.
D
Old 08-17-2009, 04:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Sure, you're welcome here and don't have to buy into any recovery program, sobriety is free for those who wish it.

Honestly though, I can't understand why you'd want to stick around unless you have the desire to stop drinking. Most people check out recovery and decide they "want what we have", a fulfilling life.

Ah well, you can analyze it and debate it any way you want. I prefer to keep it simple. If I drink, I die. I come here because I choose to stay sober.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by notofeudalism View Post
I say fill the jails and prisons and build as many as possible and throw everyone one who ever got a DUI/pub intox, and/or anythign related to any drug.
I think I am confused by what you are saying because you can go to jail instead of treatment so why not go get locked up, is that what you are saying?

You are being forced into treatment (or jail) by the legal system. An interesting fact is that the recovery rates of people who self-report and who are forced in are very similar. You have as good of chance as any of us. Good luck. I know what it is like to be on the fence. Reading around here and going to some AA meetings might take you off the fence in one direction or the other. I am guessing it will not be the jail direction.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Why bother coming to a Sober Recovery website at all then? You'll probably not get much sympathy for thinking you don't deserve your DUI and the penaltites associated with it.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are they welcome here or does one have to buy into a "recovery" program. I was told that I will be forced to enter into a recovery program because of a DUI (AA and mandatory treatment) and if not I go to jail. That is not much of a choice. Im sure I will here that maybe I shouldnt drink then if I dont want problems. I will post maybe the laws are real messed up like a police state, as I hurt no one nor caused any damage to anybody or anything.

I say fill the jails and prisons and build as many as possible and throw everyone one who ever got a DUI/pub intox, and/or anythign related to any drug. You would see a Charles Dicken's prison society and maybe more people would wake up to the laws that criminalize everything. Most people wont agree with me, so be it.
Say that to the parents that have had a child mowed down by some drunk...
I got throwed in jail for being way way over the limit.......

and rightly so.......and i didnt whinge about it..

you gotta do AA and treatment...you got off lightly imo.

you mow down some innocent kid drunk you gonna know a whole new world of pain.

and before the mods whack the delete button im off.

god be with you.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree

its not a good idea to drink and drive. I never made it a point to. Always drank at home. It was careless of me, but why should I feel remorse if I cause no harm to anything or anyone? Because some else did? Im not that person. That is cause guilt by possible association.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Well, notofeudalism, drunk driving is a crime because so many innocent people have been killed by drunk drivers. No one is saying you should feel guilty if you didn't hurt anyone, but hopefully, you will learn a lesson from the DUI and realize that you very easily could have hurt or killed someone. After all, those who did drive drunk and hurt or killed someone didn't intend to do it. Something to think about.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I didnt mean

to turn it into a DUI thread. Poeple are killed in lots of different ways by cars. drinking, eating, texting, turning around for a split second, simple distraction. Plenty of people are killed by people who are simply careless. They didn't intend to kill someone, like you said. It's a hard call with cars as they are large and heavy and can be used for a variety of purposes.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also think

did and could have are two different things. Then you are getting into thought crimes. I could have poisioned someone, but I did not. Should that be a crime? You are correct, it is about intent. And most people who make a careless choice by driving drunk dont usually indend to kill someone.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

No, I never said it was about intent. It is about actions and consequences. Drunk driving is a crime. You did it, therefore, you committed a crime and you are paying the consequences. You can spin it any way you want, but you got what you deserved. You can be pizzed off about it, or you can learn a lesson and be vigilant to not let it happen again.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Are you drinking now?

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 08-17-2009, 06:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

to turn it into a DUI thread. Poeple are killed in lots of different ways by cars. drinking, eating, texting, turning around for a split second, simple distraction. Plenty of people are killed by people who are simply careless. They didn't intend to kill someone, like you said. It's a hard call with cars as they are large and heavy and can be used for a variety of purposes.
When it comes to alcohol and car crashes the statistics are pretty sobering (no pun intended):

In 2005, 39% of fatal crashes (all age groups) involved alcohol. The rate of alcohol involvement in fatal crashes is more than three times higher at night than during the day (59% vs. 18%). (NHTSA)

On average someone is killed by a drunk driver every 45 minutes. In 2008, an estimated 11,773 people died in drunk driving related crashes—a decline of 9.8 percent from the 13,041 drunk driving related fatalities of 2007.

About three in every ten Americans will be involved in an alcohol-related crash at some time in their lives.

Alcohol-related crashes in the United States cost the public an estimated $114.3 billion in 2000, including $51.1 billion in monetary costs and an estimated $63.2 billion in quality of life losses. People other than the drinking driver paid $71.6 billion of the alcohol-related crash bill, which is 63 percent of the total cost of these crashes.

- Mothers Against Drunk Driving - Campaign to Eliminate Drunk Driving - Statistics
Welcome to SADD
Old 08-17-2009, 06:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

no

I am not drinking now and Im not going to argue about whether or not DUI should or should not be a crime. It is now. Nor whether you think I deserve it. I was suicidal at the time looking to go back home and take my own life. I did not, as I was pulled over for the DUI and 302'd. I suppose you think I deserve it, yet it is more complicated than people rationalize.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

No...it's you who is not being rational. You may have been suicidal, but you also could have taken a few innocent people with you on that journey. Not a good thing. It's obvious you have a chip on your shoulder about this. Until you realize that what you did was wrong, there's not much else to be said about it. I'm backing out of this thread now. Good luck to you.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I am not drinking now and Im not going to argue about whether or not DUI should or should not be a crime. It is now. Nor whether you think I deserve it. I was suicidal at the time looking to go back home and take my own life. I did not, as I was pulled over for the DUI and 302'd. I suppose you think I deserve it, yet it is more complicated than people rationalize.
I don't think anyone 'deserves' it, and I see alot of my former self in your posts.

You're got some serious issues to face, and it appears that alcohol is not the problem, but maybe alcohol was possibly a proposed temporary solution for a problem?

The DUI saved your life, huh? Good. How come you got saved? Is there anything you could offer to people like yourself in the way of advice? The world needs people like you who have experienced the pain you have. You have a lot to share with others in the same boat. Count your blessings, and then think about being there for others.

Keep coming back.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:49 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Notof..,
I had 2 DUI's in a span of 15 years, both under the legal limit, this state is tough!
But, I want to add, that I could of killed someone and I'am so grateful!! I'am so blessed! Do U want or need that in the future...
I feel your anger, that is good, but, this is a wake up call.....
Stay strong.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

It's not complicated.. you drove drunk, you deserve the punishment. Sucks you were suicidal, hopefully you're getting help for that too.

So.. I'll ask again since you haven't answered.. why are you here?
Old 08-17-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Are you an alcoholic? Do you know what that is? Find your own truth... stick around. Anyone is welcome.

Mark
Old 08-17-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was open and respectful to the social workers in my DUI driver intervention program. Some of it is very forceful, but as long you don't ostensibly resist it, it can be very informative. For me, I am an alcoholic so that exposure helps now in my recovery. In other words, there are people who need to hear that message (i.e. me), so don't get too wound up with the rhetoric...