Notices

And I have another question...

Old 08-16-2009, 09:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bt1978

And I have another question...

First, I must say that I am enjoying this web site (the convenience, the variety of experiences etc...).

That being said...I am about four months sober. I am in AA and overall have found it fairly helpful...

So, I am traveling to visit my parents in another state for a week. I am going from a city with lots of meetings and options to an area (very rural and farm-esque) where the nearest meetings are at least a twenty minute drive and only meet a couple times per week. My parents only have one car that they use for their business...And they typically meet around the dinner hour when my parents are using the car for work (and not in the same area).

Essentially, what this boils down to is that I'm not sure it will be feesible to make meetings. I am very close to my parents and there is no alcohol in our house (and with one car, really no way to get any). My father is also a recovering alcoholic and we speak openly about issues etc...I have the BB, assorted literature and of course I can pray wherever I am.

I say all this becuase my sponsor wants to talk about what meetings I will make when I see her next. I may be being premature, but (oh, and this is going to sound so weird! how do I tell her this (i.e. I am a people pleaser and afraid she'll be angry).

And, that is it...It is the small things that seem to make me most anxious.

Thanks again
Old 08-16-2009, 10:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Suggestion? Find the hotline number for the area where your parents live, call and see if they can get you a contact or two. Generally, all you have to do is get to one meeting, gather up some phone numbers, and you're likely to find a ride. Having contacts in advance may help facilitate the process.

I couldn't drive for most of the first year I was sober, and that never kept me from getting to a meeting.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 08-16-2009, 10:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Owner of a strange glitch.

Hi bt1978, I haven't seen you, so welcome!

As far as getting to meetings over there, is there any way you could call to the local AA headquarters (or whatever, I'm new at this) and see if you could connect with somebody there who can give you a ride? If it's a rural community, I'm sure this problem has arisen before.

Just a thought. Take care, and congratulations on the almost four months.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Congrats on 4 months sober time.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on the 4 months BT, excellent suggestions, call ahead, I do it when I travel and my sponsor does as well. Great way to make some new and sober friends. The neat thing is you immediately have something in common.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Take you step work...and bb .........sure thing.

There are gonna be times when making meetings is impossible...

Enjoy the time with your folks and use spare time for study...reflection and prayer.

Try to always have the means to talk to another alcoholic........so take your cell and list.

have a great time.....shaun