Notices

New

Old 08-16-2009, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New

Hello,
I read these forums and they have helped. I was/am drinking a fifth at least of vodka every day for the past four years. I tried to "limit" my drinking but it does not work. I live alone so noone can hound me, I have a job that is good. But I cannot drink. If I have a beer I have to have vodka. Gross! I am so lonely, and so sad this way. I have stopped drinking as I need to go to work tomorrow and I want to stay not drinking.
I feel sweaty now but I guess it is worth it.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Welcome...Glad you are here. If you have been drinking a fifth of vodka every day for 4 years and now want to stop--I would suggest speaking to a doctor or medical professional. Stopping drinking can be deadly--you can die from alcohol withdrawal. In the meantime--keep reading/posting. You are not alone.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi again millieveronika

I really echo what Angelina says - pls see your doctor and be safe.

D
Old 08-16-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by millieveronika View Post
I feel sweaty now but I guess it is worth it.
Man is it worth it! I'm glad you are here. Agreed that with that much daily intake, a doctor visit would be in your best interest, my friend.

Stick around, you are not alone.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey man good to see ya taking certain steps. As everyone said see your doctor. I have had some pretty wicked withdraws of a smaller daily intake. Take care man and keep posting.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by millieveronika View Post
Hello,
If I have a beer I have to have vodka. Gross!
Why is that gross? When I was drinking that would've sounded good! And you sound like you're one of us, and I mean that in a friendly way.

I'm not sure how much a fifth is, since I'm a Brit and we're meteric here, but seeing a doctor is a good idea because stopping drinking can be dangerous. They should also check your liver to see if it's enlarged and do a blood test to check its function.

I saw my doctor 3 years ago and she explained due to the level of my drinking I should 'taper off', i.e. reduce my drinking gradually; so I tried to taper off and I just ended up tapering straight back on again. The doctor also 'sent' me for therepy, but that was useless.

In the end - over two years after the doctor and therepy and still drinking like a lunatic - I just stopped without any medical supervision and apart from the usual withdrawal symptoms I was fine, sort of, as in I didn't die or get a wet brain or anything! But boy did I suffer for a short while and I had the usual white-knuckle moments.

But stopping is easy; staying stopped is the difficult part and for that the only thing that worked for me was the AA and its programme.

I'm now free of the mental obsession with alcohol and I'm actually happy about not drinking. Before I was even halfway though the programme of AA, I was amazed.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alcoholism is definately a progressive disease. I was a single mom six years ago with a successful job. Started out drinking socially - then at night to help me sleep - then more and more and more. I remarried (an alcoholic), had a baby. After the baby came I found myself drinking a quart of whiskey within two days, or whatever was available. I learned to drink where I could still function (or thought I could) and make it through the day. In the end came the blackouts. Those are scary. I am astonished looking back at how I'm still alive because I'm a tiny person who consumed enough alcohol to kill an elephant.

Do get medical attention before quitting cold turkey. Withdrawl sucks but is more than worth it. The only way that I have stayed sober is AA. I second what Tosh says - I am also free of the mental obsession to drink and see life completely different now.

Hope to hear more from you.