Notices

It's taking all my willpower to stay sober today

Old 08-14-2009, 08:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's taking all my willpower to stay sober today

am having terrible anxiety and keep telling myself that drinking will only make it worse. So I'm doing what I should do to stay sober: I'm posting instead of picking up a drink.

I'm praying to God for his help. Would appreciate your prayers too, that my depression and anxiety will lessen and that I will stay sober today.

thank you!
Old 08-14-2009, 08:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Posting is good, least. Can you get out of the house for a bit? I know that if I stay inside too long it makes my anxiety worse.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you, it takes courage to face the pain. You might want to check with an MD or a psychiarist regarding the depression and anxiety. I'm diagnosed with anxiety/depression disorder and also PTSD. I'm sober almost 5 months and in therapy and meds and I'm doing great, never been better. I wish for you the same. Take care.

Whatever you do, don’t shut off your pain; accept your pain and remain vulnerable. However desperate you become, accept your pain as it is, because it is in fact trying to hand you a priceless gift: the chance of discovering, through spiritual practice, what lies behind sorrow. Pema Chodron
Old 08-14-2009, 09:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Least you are in my prayers, I pray that you find peace and serenity and the power to do what ever it takes to get it.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((least)))...I'm so sorry you are going through this. I wish I knew how to make it better...gosh, we all do, right? I do know that getting out, no matter how much I *feel* like I don't want to or can't, always helps...even if it's just a little.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mle-sober

Least,

We are in this together! I'm so sorry you are suffering. Please hang in there. Drinking only makes it worse. Drinking only makes it worse. Drinking only makes it worse. That's my mantra right now!

:praying

mle
Old 08-14-2009, 09:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Least ... As one who was in crisis earlier this week and contemplating drinking, your post wakes up fresh feelings. Anything you can do to distract your mind for a while? Exercise, art projects, around-the-house type projects, writing in a stream-of-consciousness way -- make a deal that you only have to do it for 15 minutes ... then after 15 minutes, if you want to stop, do. You might find once you get into it that it's good to keep going. Drinking won't help. Push through! You can do it and will feel stronger for having done so. Thinking about you! Keep posting!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Just ate some chicken soup. Will take a nap shortly. When all else fails, take a nap with the dogs. Will take them for a walkwhen I get up. I washed some dishes and put away some laundry so at least I'm getting some things done. thank you for your prayers and good wishes. It helps.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Happy Thoughts coming your way least... It's a sunny day here, hope it is where you are. Enjoy your dogs, the day and your clean dishes...

Mark
Old 08-14-2009, 09:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thinking of you and praying for you Least. I have suffered from anxiety too and I know how hard it is. Please stay here with us. If you have a few extra bucks to spend, go online and try to find a (relatively) older book called "Hope and Help for Your Nerves" by Dr. Claire Weekes. It has helped me so much with my anxiety problems....even when I thought I was way too distracted and anxious to read and concentrate on a book, I was so interested in getting rid of the anxiety, I found it fascinating. I've had my copy for years - all underlined and circled - and I still refer to it when I am having a bad day.

Keep checking in! We are here for you!

Love
Jomey
Old 08-14-2009, 10:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

You'll be in my thoughts today, hon.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

:ghug3
Old 08-14-2009, 10:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(( Hugs to you))
Least,
Prayers will be coming to you today and for all who suffer.
Stay strong.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thinking of you my Friend~ Stay Strong
Old 08-14-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
where the light is

Is there anyone to talk to about what is causing your anxiety? A trusted friend, relative, or sponsor?

For me, it helps to get it out of my head. It puts whatever is bothering me in better perspective. Most times, it loses it's importance & I can deal with it.

This too shall pass (might as well get through it without a drink! ).
Old 08-14-2009, 11:53 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

least, been there--going through some difficult things myself. Taking time to lift you up now.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You posted what I was going to suggest, getting those doggies out for a long walk/run somewhere.

Great job on keeping it in check

Take Care,

NB
Old 08-14-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Originally Posted by gravity View Post
Is there anyone to talk to about what is causing your anxiety? A trusted friend, relative, or sponsor?

For me, it helps to get it out of my head. It puts whatever is bothering me in better perspective. Most times, it loses it's importance & I can deal with it.

This too shall pass (might as well get through it without a drink! ).
Took the words out of my mouth, Grav...

Least..you shouldn't be alone through this.

Sposnor? Meeting? Someone to call?

Whatever, keep posting..

You know you have my prayers, always.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Least,

Sending prayers over to you. Hope you are feeling better after the nap. Stay close to SR. If you get a chance visit the August thread. It seems to be active and it even has brakefree over there who was an original member of our July class. She may even get you to smile. Hope you have a tolerable weekend. Just keep posting and hugging the pups.
Old 08-14-2009, 01:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Had a topic close to this last night.

I like to point out a scene in the movie Ground Hog's Day.

Every day Murray wakes up and tries to save a drunk from dying. He goes through the motions every day. The results are always the same. We drink, we heap misery upon ourselves and many times, people that love us etc.

We call it playing the tape through. Same results, different day

YouTube - Groundhog Day - The Power of Change