Notices

Bye 4 Now

Old 08-13-2009, 06:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Bye 4 Now

I think I need to take a step back from here for now. I feel like I've been offering advice I'm not qualified to offer. While I'm doing well with my pot addiction, clean almost 3 months, I'm still drinking on a semi-regular basis (once or twice a week) and until I can straighten that out I think I need to go away for a bit.

I've got an appointment with my psychiatrist and theripist next week, so I am going to continue to work on this, but I have to question the value of what I have to offer here. I'll probably lurk a bit, and I'm sure I'll be back, but I don't want to be the one who offers the f'd up advise to hurt someone else. Take care all.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I used to think similiar stuff and then someone said to me dont wait to get well to do recovery, do recovery to get well.

If you have the desire to be clean then thats enuf and I have enjoyed seeing you around again as one of my peers.

Kevin
Old 08-13-2009, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Same here, if you feel that way then do WHAT YOU feel is best, but truthfully sometimes something that you dont think would work out for you works out for others better....good luck....read my postings you will see what I mean..........I smoked pot for almost 20 years........it is hard to break but drinking was easy for me so good luck with it all and just because you have a problem with the weed doesnt mean you have a problem with anything else..........

good luck I hope you stay around......
Pamm
Old 08-13-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tyler,

You're always welcome here.

We all try our best to help each other here and to help ourselves. None of us has all the answers.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Wish you wouldn't leave, Tyler. You're one of my favorite posters. This place is for people who want to stop drinking, too. Take care, and I hope you come back.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe you're at a crossroads of sorts, Tyler? Just because any of us may have x amount of days, weeks, months, years whatever of sobriety or clean time doesn't make one more qualified than the other. We all have experience to share, and that's key, IMO. I used to think my mental illness was a terrible burden, and that because of it I was somehow less worthy than others. That's b.s. It's who we are not what we are that counts.

Why don't you stick around and keep working at your recovery? Rather than following the old pattern of coming and going, why don't you do the opposite and stay with us?

You're a valued member of SR, as we all are.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tyler,
I befriended U.
No, do not go.
As AA states it is the desire to remain sober....
Please don't leave.

Do you hear that song..... No, no, don't go, please do not leave...........
I'm fighting with every ounce I got, please, please stay.
I have a son named Tyler, he is my beacon, my light, let us be yours.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I always enjoy your posts man. They're thoughtful, they're sensitive, compassionate, and well thought out.

This is a site for people trying to stop drinking and using as much as it is for those of us trying to stay stopped. We all have stuff to offer.

A lot of us know whats right - but (for me anyway) it's sometimes difficult to remember back to how it was when I was quitting.

You know what's right - and you're right there - who's better qualified to help others?

Leave if you feel you have to mate - but be sure it's for the right reasons - don't isolate, and please don't cut yrself off from support

best of luck, Tyler, whatever you decide
D

Last edited by Dee74; 08-13-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is Sober Recovery not Sober Recovered

Some of the best posts can come from people that are still struggling with active addiction. I also enjoy your posts & having you around but if you feel that you need to take a break then I look forward to seeing you back soon.

All of the best,

NB
Old 08-13-2009, 07:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Tyler, I value your input immensly. Your contributions are important. I'd like you to stick around.

I think there's a place for everyone here who has been impacted by addiction. You have a lot to offer countless people...not just the members, but all the guests who stumble across these posts every day.

I was a lurker for a while. I read many different perspectives before registering. Everything I read made me realize I belonged here.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

There are no experts here, that's why I love this place and come here every day. I can get all the "professional" help I need other places. This is where my friends and soulmates are. Even if sometimes our posts are a bit flawed or off track, we all try our very best to help each other. I hope you will stay.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
mergirl

Take care of yourself tyler, I believe you are one of the good guys
Old 08-13-2009, 10:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Do whatever you have to do but I just wanted to add: I get more out of reading posts by people that are still struggling than those who have ostensibly gotten sobriety all figured out.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Zen Nihilist

Originally Posted by tyler View Post
I'm still drinking on a semi-regular basis (once or twice a week) and until I can straighten that out I think I need to go away for a bit...
...I have to question the value of what I have to offer here.
I'll tell you what you offer me - the knowledge that I am not the only person who hasn't abstained perfectly, but who is still taking recovery seriously and never wants to return to my bottom.

I agree, it can feel sh*tty to give advice that you aren't taking. It doesn't mean you can't share your experience and the advice that you are taking.

One of the pitfalls of recovery is the unrealistic expectation that I will never f*ck up. This leads to the attitude that f*cking up means I am giving up.

Please stick around, and let us know how you cut out the drinking.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

All I can do is speak for me, but I find your stuff helpful and insightful. Hope you keep it up! Think we all feel like you do from time to time.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Tyler in AA the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking, it is the same here.

Your experience is valuable to all of us, whether we are sober & clean or not!

I for one learn from every person here whether they are clean and sober or not.

You being pot free for 3 months gives hope to other heads here that they can quit as well, your struggle with the booze is helping others (me included) as well, both those that have been sober for many years, those newly sober and those still drinking.

No one has sobriety totally figured out, if they think they do I have heard from old timers that they are probably working on getting them selfs into trouble.

Share your victories and your struggles, they help ALL of us.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Tyler - I have always enjoyed reading your posts and gotten something worthwhile out of them. If you have to leave, I wish you well and you will be missed. But if you can stick around and recover with us....you're more than welcome. Jomey
Old 08-14-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

As far as I'm concerned, Honesty is the most important attribute in a place like SR... No BS, you know what I mean?... Besides, it's usually easy to see through.

You have honesty, maybe not perfect sobriety. But no one really has perfect sobriety.

Get yourself in a place where you think you are ready to share again and come back and post.

Mark
Old 08-14-2009, 05:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

please stick around tyler! it dosnt matter where you are in your recovery,someone will always get identification from your posts,this is important! see how many people dont want you to leave? i wish you well whatever you decide to do,but i think you would be sorely missed.:ghug3
Old 08-19-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I met with a new psychisrist today, as well as with my theripist. I'm glad I was able to see my theripist as I was not in a good place after the doctors appointment. That was nothing against the doctor, she was just taking a through history, but it really touched on some things that I really wasn't prepared to talk about, I've never talked about it here either.

I was sexually abused at a Boy Scout camp when I was 12 years old. At least I think I was. I really only have "snapshot" memories of it and a good part of me still thinks that maybe it's just my "mind" making it up to explain my years of substance abuse. I have a very hard time even getting close to discussing it. I physically shake, twitch and just "snap my mind closed" if I even get close to it. It is something I am trying to, at least begin to address with my theripist. I was so adgetated after the doctors appointment today that we spent the first 45 minutes of our appointment doing breathing and "energy" exercises to calm me down. I still don't really know how I'm going to deal with all of this. I know drinking is not the answer, but I still fell back to the bottle tonite. I'm sorry.

I'm going to try to stick around and try to get more help and maybe offer less advice. I just don't know. I'm hurting right now.