Healing thru HURTS

Old 08-11-2009, 05:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living in a Pinkful Place

Healing thru HURTS

Courage to Change – August 11

When I feel I just can’t face the world and want nothing more than to bury my head under the covers and hide, I know I need an An-Anon meeting! I may have to push myself out the door, but I always feel better-and saner-when I break the isolation and reach out for help. I usually feel relief the minute I walk into an Al-Anon room, even if it’s a meeting I’ve never attended before. I find a healing, comforting Power in these rooms, a Power greater than myself. And because my Higher Power speaks through other people, I often hear exactly what I need.

We all go through periods of sadness, lethargy, and grief – that’s part of life. But depression can become a habit that perpetuates itself, unless I intercede by acting on my own behalf. Al-Anon cannot solve every problem, and if depression lingers, I may want to consider seeking professional help. But more often than not, what I need to do is bring my body to an Al-Anon meeting. I know that no matter how I feel, when I take an action to get some help I make myself available to the Higher Power in these rooms.

TODAY’S REMINDER

When in doubt, I will go to an Al-Anon meeting and invite my Higher Power to do for me what I cannot do for myself.

“There are times when I have to hurt through a situation and when this happens, the choice is not whether to hurt or not to hurt, but what to do while I am hurting.” . . . In all Our Affairs

I may be in a time of hurting, I need to feel that hurt, working thru the pain - BUT I do not need to hurt OTHERS or MYSELF while I am processing my pain - working my program of recovery helps me feel the pain/hurt and disappointments in a healthy way.

HUGS,
Rita
Old 08-11-2009, 06:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thank you so much for this reading today.

It's a good reminder, for me, that live meetings really have some magic to them that always makes me feel good. Sometimes the best meetings are the ones I drag myself to when I really might want to do something else (or nothing at all).

I'm going to look for a day meeting in my area and then give it a try. Not only will it help me with my own issues and recovery, it will give me a feel of what it feels like to be a newcomer again and freshen my perspective.

Hugs