Notices

On the brink but ain't gonna go there ...

Old 08-09-2009, 05:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry On the brink but ain't gonna go there ...

Aghh-h-h-h, I am so frustrated and stressed! My boss just DUMPED a huge amount of work in my lap that has to be done a.s.a.p. I have been asking for his input on my project for months and I have watched my time frame to complete the job get shorter and shorter and shorter... So I finally get his input and it significantly alters the project. Agh-h-h-h-h! I am pounding away frantically trying to get this done (it will take weeks) and there is a little voice saying, "When you get through what you can today, have a glass of wine."

Instead, I shall whine here -- I'm so sorry, you all -- but it so beats the alternative. I was doing so well. Even went to a big social function last night and had no desire to drink while everyone else around me did. But my husband just left this morning on a trip. I am home alone with this crushing workload and I almost feel paralyzed. These are my exact worse conditions for deciding to drink. I gotta get out for a walk.

Thanks SR community for providing a place to vent rather than going to the dark side, which would be so easy right now ... gr-r-r-r-r!!!!!
Old 08-09-2009, 05:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Going for a walk sounds like a good idea.

Whine away all you need to.

(((Skeeter)))
Old 08-09-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stay close to SR Skeeter
Post as often as you need to.

Drinking will not help that work get done any quicker...or any better.

D
Old 08-09-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hang in there Skeeter. This too shall pass!
Old 08-09-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

Hang in there Skeeter. You will succeed somehow although I am sure it is hard to see that right now.
As Dee said if you decide to drink it will only diminish your chances.
After you get the job done you will feel a surge of confidence and accomplishment that will be much more rewarding than the immediate release from the pressure by drinking.
Good luck.
Old 08-09-2009, 05:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

These are my exact worse conditions for deciding to drink.
And just imagine how triumphant you will be when you conquer this worst-case-scenario trigger. You will complete the deadline on time and be successful at it. If you choose to drink as some sort of reward or as stress relief, you can kiss everything goodbye. Don't forget to come back and tell us how great you did.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone for your kind words and understanding. I got through the witching hour drinking nothing stronger than herbal tea. Hooray! I have been so wigged out today that I am now feeling completely flatline, so I am going to treat myself to a movie. And tomorrow, I am going to have a heart-to-heart with my boss to tell him I will do my best, but that is all I can do. (He's a friend, which makes it hard that he would dump on me like this.) Thank you all, again. Jeesch, you don't even know me and still you took the time to offer comfort. You rock!!!!!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Way to go on making it through your situation Enjoy your movie
Old 08-09-2009, 10:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

Howdy, Don't drink even if your !#@%$^*(& falls off and try to get to a

meeting especially if you don't like them. It has been intense with all the

triple digit temperatures in the northwest.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((Skeeter))
Thank you so much for venting and sharing, it has been hell for me the last couple of days and I heard that same voice, I call him "Demon" and he was talking to me. I really needed to hear what your vented!! The Demon hasn't been bugging me today, he is gone; but if he comes back I'll be more equipped to handle him. We will fight, but I will win. Still somber!
Old 08-10-2009, 06:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

TC -- Oh, that nasty voice is a bad guest!! But it feels so good to have kept it at bay. Amazing how posting helped ... and then to get all the responses -- wow. It really made me feel stronger. Even pissed at the nasty voice, like, "How dare you ....!" Woke up this morning with a clear head and it feels great.

I am grateful to have found this site. (((everyone)))
Old 08-10-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Skeeter,

It's good to have a cathartic moan at times! Unlike you though, it wasn't when I was angry at something I really wanted to drink (though I still drank), my strongest cravings for alcohol were when I was happy.

I was always in danger in early early sobriety (I'm still in early sobriety) when I'd had a brilliant day at work, the sun was shining, and I was feeling good.

Then I'd really want to drink; it was like God wanted me to drink to reward me for my hard work and abstinence from alcohol or something; honest.

It's ruddy madness isn't it?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Alcohol is never part of the solution, it just causes more problems.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Read the comic section of your local newspaper every morning. There's a strip called "Dilbert" that you can probably relate to. If nothing else, it'll show that you're hardly alone in the world of corporate idiocy.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tosh -- oh yeh, I can also relate to the celebratory excuses. "I feel great! What can it hurt?!" Eeck. btw: Today I had a meeting with my boss and it was clear that he knew he had really done me wrong. I think when my humor returns I might be able to milk this for something ... lol!

Enough. I have to get to work on this freakin' project ... Thanks again to all.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sobriety in technicolor

Heehee - jsut saying "Skeeter" out loud made me feel giggly, so thanks for that

Truly, hang in there. When I get to walk through stuff like this and look back, I can say "Holy Sh*T.... I just did ALL that and I did it SOBER. Wow, yay me!" That builds self esteem.

Keep it up Darlin! You're inspiring me and others to believe in ourselves and our sober capabilities... because once I take the drink/drug off the table today, I can do ANYTHING!

YAY YOU!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Good job skeeter, hang tough and keep doing the next right thing keeping in mind that a drink is not a solution for anything.