Notices

I need help

Old 08-06-2009, 08:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need help

I find myself drinking after work everyday. I have brought the issue to my girlfriend, but she isn't supporting me as much as I need support. I need help stopping this habit once and for all.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well you are in the right place for on line support. I have only 15 days sober so my advice is not as good as some of the long time sober people who will answer you soon i'm sure.

My BF is supportive of me quitting but he continues to drink quite regularly and I don't think he knows how hard it is for me even if he only drinks outside. So I can relate you you there!

I would think your best course would be to talk to your dr and quit the safest way possible.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have admitted my problem only to my girlfriend and my boss (who has a problem also). I am hesitant about going to a doctor because of my insurance. I have defeated previous drug addictions, and I know that I can beat this. This is the first time however that I have tried to defeat an addiction alone. Everytime previous, I had a friend that was giving up an addiction just like me.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Like wantolive I only have a few days in this, but to "Arrest this development", you may want to change your after work routine. What time do you get off? Can you go to the movies after work? I found that if I could just get to a movie, the craving would dissipate.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

There is always support here online. You could work with your boss to quit together if he also has a problem. Or you could try AA.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have developed a routine of going to the YMCA which has dissapted my drink dramatically, but if I find myself having 3-4 hours after the gym to drink before I HAVE to go to bed, I am drinking again. I would love to use the Y as my inspiration, but I need one-on-one support.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I feel like I am creating excuses, but I want you to know what I have tried. I am in desperate need to defeat this. I am drinking as we speak. I need some type of intervention.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Everyday I used to say I wasn't going to drink.
Every night I ended up drunk.
I couldn't stop on my own, no matter how good my intentions were.
I ended up going to the county detox (of my own free will) for a few days.
That got the ball rolling for me.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome friend,
Your stated,

"I find myself drinking after work everyday. I have brought the issue to my girlfriend, but she isn't supporting me as much as I need support. I need help stopping this habit once and for all."

You have admitted to a problem, U R concern, right? That is the 1st step! I feel for you, been there, had over 5 years and recently relapse, my DOC; Budlight, loved my beer.
You stated,
"I have admitted my problem only to my girlfriend and my boss (who has a problem also). I am hesitant about going to a doctor because of my insurance. I have defeated previous drug addictions, and I know that I can beat this. This is the first time however that I have tried to defeat an addiction alone. Everytime previous, I had a friend that was giving up an addiction just like me."

You are not alone, you came to SR. Many have years, many a day, many have days, like myself. Thanks for coming here and sharing. I needed to hear this today, this minute. Isn't it hard to admit that you have a problem that you have no control over? For me, this is true for today.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It is very hard to admit. I am leaving a note for my girlfriend. Begging for her support. And I beg each and every one of you to keep adding to this post to keep me focused.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jallen

I think you're selling yourself too short here. I didn't think I could do this but I did.
I would be nice if our partners 'got it' but it's not essential - not if you want it enough.

I didn't have a lot of support in my life either but I found more than enough here at SR.
You can find a lot of 'one on one' support in the real world too - here are some links

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...resources.html

Please do check out these links - and pls think more about going to see a Dr. I'm not American but whatever it costs, it's more than worth it.

Welcome to SR
D
Old 08-06-2009, 09:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good advice sir Dee,
Jallen,
I feel your pain, you can PM me anytime. Only a click away. Stay strong. Keep busy, pray, read, go to a meeting, call your AA 1-800# now, have someone call you or have someone come over. Call 411 and get the number. I did that in July, after my relapse.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Focus

I hear where you are coming from... get home, all wound up tighter than a kite, nervous about things you can't quite even put your finger on, anxious about the day that is behind you and even more so for the day that is yet to come, grabbing that bottle seems natural... too natural. 40 minutes and the worries will be gone... until... recycle the next day, previous worries still there from the day before only now you have todays too because you didn't bother to actually solve the ones from yesterday.

I'm wrapped in it too and so can empathize.

I was concerned/anxious about going back to the clinic after 3 weeks off so Sunday at 1:30PM I decided to kick it into high gear ... great idea right? Afterall, I found Walmart wine for $2.97 per bottle. My best friend calls me up an hour later. I hadn't seen her in a month and wanted to do something. I didn't even bother to pick up the phone because I didn't want to explain why I couldn't come over to her place. Then my husband says "can you pick up the pizza?"... Ummm no, you KNOW I can't.

Situations even as simple and possibly common as this make me question why people drink. It's the same after work.

I'm sure you can stop if you truly want to and seek out support of others in your area. There are a lot of people on this site who have gone through what you are going through and are willing to help also. Good, sober people who have changed their lives for the better and are an inspiration to the others. Good luck.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

Good to hear from you. I feel your pain as I have this disease of alcoholism as

well. I would suggest finding a AA meeting in your area for post gym support.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

So this is my third day without a drink. I have found myself focused at work and getting more done than ever. Today, I was off work and I cleaned my carpets at my house, ate lunch with my dad, went to the gym, mowed my lawn, and did five loads of laundry. I have never had this kind of energy on a day off. Normally it is spent sleeping off the night before. I appreciate all the words of support from everyone on this thread and through private messages.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

good to hear from you jallen
thanks for the update

D
Old 08-09-2009, 06:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Good job.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:38 PM
  # 18 (permalink)