Notices

Inner Fortitude

Old 08-06-2009, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Inner Fortitude

Daily Encouragement by Daisaku Ikeda

Friday, July 24, 2009

"Our lives are our own. It is not for someone else to dictate to us how we should live them. All that awaits those who allow themselves to be continually swayed by what other people say or do is unhappiness. We simply need to have the self-belief to be able to say: "This is right. This is the path I will follow. I am content." Happiness is born from such inner fortitude."

This is a quote from Buddhism that I read the day I decided that the path I am on is ok for me. For a long long time I felt guilty about not fitting "the mold" and that guilt was the main thing fueling my problem. Inner Fortitude is being able to be in a room full of drunks and say..."I don't wanna drink with you". We all know that drunks can pour on the guilt. I don't wanna be in a room full of drunks, but if I find myself in that situation I will think of this quote and order a Virgin. I like Virgins.

Now, this doesn't mean you shouldn't listen to other people who know the way and whom have sense. It means that when you have chosen your path, in this case sobriety, you shouldn't allow yourself to be swayed.

Last edited by MrOsaka; 08-06-2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Adding clarification information...
Old 08-06-2009, 07:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Faerie

Thank you for that quote, I find it very inspirational.

Faerie
Old 08-06-2009, 07:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks MrO. All my life I've been way too concerned with what other people thought of me and of fitting in. It's caused alot of misery.