Using medications in rehab

Old 08-06-2009, 07:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Using medications in rehab

My AH is finally in a 30 day rehab center.

(Background) After I successfully got a Protection from Abuse order, the judge mandated that he has to get immediate treatment and aftercare before he's allowed to even consider coming back home. Thank God. This was my last effort to save our marriage of 27 years. He wouldn't get help on his own so I forced the hand. If he relapses, he must leave the home or face arrest.

So..he chose rehab. It's Behavioral/Substance Abuse center...those who are suffering from duel diagnosis.

He sounds wonderful now that he's sober and it sounds like he's made a lot of progress....but....

I'm bothered about the medications that they're giving him though. It's seems that these doctors are too free with psychotropics/sedatives and the like. When I called him the other day I was shocked. It sounded like he was TRASHED! They have him on 500 mg of Serequel, something called visteril, and remeron. He says that he's on these drugs because of his depression and because he can't sleep.

Being that he was a serious alcoholic, I understand that they give him drugs to help with detox. However, on the other hand, being that he's an admitted addict, I wonder if he's inflating his "inability to sleep" to get a higher dose so he can enjoy the "buzz". It just seems to me that the doctors shouldn't be so free with sedatives when they're dealing with addicts because they could possibly be encouraging him to switch one addiction for another. At one point, my husband even commented that the doctors were "handing out drugs like candy". Huh?

I've been through hell with this alcoholic and I don't want any more issues to deal with when he finally comes home. Should I say something to him about my concerns or leave it be for now?
Old 08-06-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would post my questions to the Dr in charge of rehab, not your husband.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Being Silent so I can Hear

I observed that at my AH's rehab also. But, I'm not the expert so I kept my opinion to myself.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You said yourself that you forced the hand that he was dealt.

He's an adult. If he's 'inflating' his inability to sleep, that's on him, no?

Are you attending Alanon for yourself to help keep the focus on you and taking care of yourself?

I found the harder I tried to force the outcome of certain events, the bigger the mess that I made. I created a lot of unnecessary pain and resentment for myself in the long run.

Today I work hard at turning things over to God, and keep my side of the street clean.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i wonder if you can get some answers over on the substance abuse forum here at soberrecovery? if these are the types of drugs that can be abused, i would imagine that you will find some recovering users over there who might be willing to share their experience.

for example, here's one: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...176648-hi.html
Old 08-06-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by naive View Post
i wonder if you can get some answers over on the substance abuse forum here at soberrecovery? if these are the types of drugs that can be abused, i would imagine that you will find some recovering users over there who might be willing to share their experience.

for example, here's one: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...176648-hi.html
Just a gentle reminder of posting guidelines:
10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

HI,

I would trust the judgement of the doctors at the treatment center over your alcoholic husband. So, personally I would not say anything...now... but probably would have back when my exabf was in rehab. I had many ideas of what he needed to do. It is almost comical to me now to think that I "knew" best.

What are you doing to take care of you? Focus on you?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Let it go.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm not going to obsess about this..it was just something that was on my mind. I guess I was just leery of sending an alcoholic to rehab and getting a drug addict in return. That's kind of the way my luck has been lately. LOL. I am going to al-anon and I'm working on myself...but sometimes I forget to let the chips fall where they may...he needs to do this for himself and ultimately he'll be the one flushing himself down the drain if he starts to use again...but I won't drown with him. Let Go...Let God. Nuff' Said. Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true.

Wendy, I hope he does well in rehab.