Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What's the best thing you've ever "eavesdropped" on in the parking lot after a meetin

Notices

What's the best thing you've ever "eavesdropped" on in the parking lot after a meetin

Old 08-05-2009, 12:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I could list a million things I've overheard sponsors telling their pigeons, but I'll just stick with the two that have stuck with me the most....

1.) Do you want to be right, or do you want to be happy?

2.) "Sounds like you missed a perfect opportunity to shut the **** up!"

Any other good parking lot quotes?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

The below was said to me after one of those "Whining" meetings when I told my sponsor "Man I didn't learn a thing tonoght, the folks who shared were really whacked!" He said:

"So you got nothing out of the meeting? Yes you did, you learned how not to be!"

He also suggested to me "You need to take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth!, I think 3 months should do."

Man was I mad at him, he made my resentment list for that! How dare he tell me that! LOL

Well you know by just listening I learned far more then I ever did sitting there thinking about what great wisdom I was going to share chock full of BB quotes & cliches!!!! Man was I full of myself, 3 months sober and I thought I had some real wisdom to share! LOL
Old 08-05-2009, 03:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"You need to take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth!, I think 3 months should do."
Hee hee hee!!!!

Unfortunately the only thing I've heard is bad mouthing of someone "coming back", what a shame.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Man was I mad at him, he made my resentment list for that! How dare he tell me that! LOL
Oh man, I can relate to that. LOL. I've come close to firing my sponsor more times than I can count. Even came close to hitting him a couple of times. The dude has a bad habit of telling me the truth, even when I don't want to hear it. Especially when I don't want to hear it.

Guess that's also why I keep him. lol....

(I bet a thread about "Ways my sponsor has pissed me off" would generate some pretty entertaining stories... LOL)
Old 08-05-2009, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

I don't go to meetings, but honestly if I heard stuff like that I would get pretty freaked out!
Old 08-05-2009, 07:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Even tho it may not be funny alot of times. I am the type of person who laughs at things alot. Not to be mean. Just laugh it off type of thing.
I guess they call that a defense mechanism? I dont know.
But I just laugh and shrug and keep going on my way.
I dont go to meetings either.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

subliminalurge funny how the people who know what is best for us and love us will tell us the truth for our own good and we get POed..... & once we honestly look at our selfs and what they said we realize they are right and would have never pointed something out to us or suggested some thing to us unless they cared for us and our recovery.

Funny thing it is that some folks think they are doing us a favor and helping us by not callling us on our BS but instead pat us on the back an tell us how great we are doing. I have heard it called "Killing with kindness!".

Today if I have an issue and I can not see it myself I appreciate some one pointing out to me what I can not see myself. How the heck can I correct something I can not see until it is pointed out to me with love and understanding.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

I know some of you remember when I first came here. I was a mess for confrontation. Couldnt tell me anything.
I would get all defensive and argue with everyone. I am seriously surprised I wasnt banned after some of the things I have posted.
I look back on it now and laugh at myself. Silly silly Trish.
I now hope that people will only be honest with me. Dont tell me what I want to hear.
And I have grown to respect that honesty. Even if I do get mad.
I step back now and soak it in and find that those are the ones who are right.
It reminds me of that game Mortal Kombat. Where you have a mirror image battle with yourself. Or Bruce Lee when he is fighting that monster in his nightmares. It turms out to be himself.
Facing ourselves and dealing with ourselves will always be the toughest battle we face.
Alot of times we need to be shown what is real and what isnt. Because wehn it comes to ourselves and how we look at ourselves. I think we cant be unbias. Its very hard.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Taz,

Isn't that the truth? lol...

Here I am 3 days sober. I've been "back" to the program for 3 weeks and I've already had 4 relapses. And yet I still think I know better than my sponsor who has 11 years of sobriety, and a wonderful, happy life, and I also know better than his sponsor who has over 40 years of sobriety, and an even more wonderful, more happy life.

The words pride and arrogance come to mind....

Here's the really weird thing. Even as I sit here watching my life fall apart at the seems, watching my body fall apart at the seems, and just generally being miserable and full of self pity, I can still look back at how it happened and actually laugh and joke about it. 'Cuz I've been in the program before, I know how it works, and I know it does work, and when I look at my life now instead of being upset or angry, for some reason I just chuckle and say to myself "Yep, that's what they told me would happen".....
Old 08-05-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
I have heard it called "Killing with kindness!"
Or loving you to death. A friend of mine brought up the idea just last week that some sick people really like to see other people stay sick. They don't even know it, but they take some comfort in watching others fail repeatedly. It makes them feel better. Dunno how I feel about that idea. I'm just letting it sit for now.

subliminalurge,

Once in a while I'm compelled to butt in where I have no business being. Call it an intuitive thought, if you will. I look at your join date in 2004, and wonder if I can help. You seem to know what works, you see it working for others, you seem willing to give it a try. And it just keeps not working.

Feel free to tell me to buzz off. I won't be offended. What is your sponsor having you do for Step 1? You are very capable of being rational and of using rational thought. Recovery is not always a rational process. Surrender is not necessarily a rational concept.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
some sick people really like to see other people stay sick. They don't even know it, but they take some comfort in watching others fail repeatedly. It makes them feel better.
At some meetings the mantra is: "We must keep the painful memories of our last drunk fresh in our memories or we will drink again".

These same people often say: "Working with newcomers is a great way to hear fresh horror-stories".
Old 08-05-2009, 12:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

"Did you hear that sound? That was my mind slamming shut."