Update on AS

Old 08-04-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on AS

saw my son this weekend at the ranch. He seems to be doing really good and it is a nice place (although extremely hard to get to).

he told me on the way down there he fully intended on running and was already planning it. then as they drove past a farm, then woods, then a field, then cows, then a farm, then trees, more cows, etc etc for over an hour he decided that he wasnt getting out of there. my daughter said we'll you could go live in a tree to which he said why not just stay here, at least there's food here.

i actually heard no complaints - he had nice things to say about all the staff and the place was the nicest he's been in. its tucked way back in the woods and is a very peaceful place. he's waiting to get assigned a job there - once he starts working he can earn money (around 80 bucks a week) and they allow them to use that as they want - they just have to order things for them. he's been working in the kitchen even though he doesnt have a job there yet because he likes to cook and he's hoping that if a job comes open there he can get it - i thought that was pretty proactive of him to work without pay for a while.

he's started working on his GED and will be placed soon in a trade program, he decided on welding. he looked and sounded better than he has in a long time. trying to not get my hopes up too much but i'm very pleased with his placement and left there feeling like a load had been lifted from my shoulders. he is in the middle of nowhere but has a lot more freedom as its more of a home environment so they can have a lot of personal possessions that they couldnt in rehab.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((Winnie))) - that sounds GREAT!!! I like the idea of him being in the middle of nowhere I am absolutely amazed that he had no complaints and take that as a sign of progress. I'm glad YOU are feeling better about it. It sounds like a great visit on all counts.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 08-04-2009, 09:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Clever Yak

Sounds good
Old 08-05-2009, 12:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On a tear

I like it when my kid gets out of her addiction for a while.... makes me feel a little like a "normie". Plus, it brings me some peace and time to focus on my own needs for a while. Sounds like a very nice place, and a very safe place for him. Glad he is doing so well. ((hugs))
Old 08-05-2009, 02:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm glad he is doing well, Winnie, and doing the "do" things to prepare for a better life when he finishes there.

I think we are the only moms in the world who rejoice when our kids get sent to jail or rehab, a normal mother's worst nightmare, I'm sure. We rejoice because we see past whatever got them there and instead feel hope that as bad as things may have been, they can get better. Our kids are not bad people trying to be good, they are sick people trying to get well.

Keeping you both in my prayers, that this time helps the healing that is needed to find healthy lives and then live them to their fullest.

Hugs
Old 08-05-2009, 03:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

At least he was honest about wanting to run. I'm so glad you got to see him and he's safely in the middle of nowhere!!

Thank you for checking in, Winnie!!

Hugs, HG
Old 08-05-2009, 08:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Out in the woods sounds good to me! One of my sons was in a place like that and tried to run - and came back because he had no idea where he was.

And it sounds fairly comfortable - not home, of course, but better than most facilities I'm familiar with.

What a journey - for both of you - and hopefully he'll be there for "awhile".

Love in recovery,
Jody Hepler

:praying
Old 08-05-2009, 04:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sounds great I will continue to pray for you and him. About time you can have some peace.
Your friend
Maggiemac
Old 08-05-2009, 06:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Winnie,
This place sounds so exciting for him, I think it is just what he needs a place that will not only help with his addiction, but make him feel good about himself. I am so excited for both of you, and my hopes are flying I have a feeling this is going to work. (((Happy hugs)))
Old 08-05-2009, 08:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad the weight is lifted from your shoulders, Winnie. I have to admit, I'm rooting for him to be there for "awhile" too - it sounds like a good spot for him to heal and mature.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Winnie, This sounds like a wonderful place for him to be (can't run Yea!!!!!!!!!) Seriously it does sound like a place that he can recover and learn a new way of life. I hope you can now get on with your life...............enjoy your summer.......enjoy time with your daugther.

Hugs,
Chris