Notices

Dodged a bullet for now

Old 08-01-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dodged a bullet for now

Were in Florida on vacation right now, in Orlando staying with my husbands parents. We were supposed to be driving up to West Palm Beach this afternoon to stay at my brother and sister in laws who are big time partiers. Weve decided to drive out in the morning to head out on their boat rather than spen the night there this evening. The thought of it was making me very uncomfortable. I'm not sure what will go on tomorrow on the boat... I hope they won't be drinking, because I'm not feeling very strong. Today I started crying just out of the blue; I am not feeling very well mentally or physically.
Old 08-01-2009, 03:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Try to keep checking in here Suz, and please do your best to say no and abstain if you're offered a drink. Have fun though, OK? Saying a little prayer for you.....
Old 08-01-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

no is a very powerful word Suzette.
pls use it if you need to.

You know what you're fighting for
D
Old 08-01-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Lady

Been missing you. I know you won't throw away what you've gained.

You know where to come for support.

warren
Old 08-01-2009, 04:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
where the light is

In my sobriety, I have had to get through days like you are facing tomorrow. And I did get through them.

What really helps is focusing on right now, not projecting on "what ifs?" You are sober right now. There really is no need to worry about tomorrow (deal with it then). But right now, enjoy yourself!

Get a good rest, bring the drinks & food you like, if offered alcohol tell them that your drinking days are behind you, relax & take it easy!

Say little prayers throughout the day - for focus & strength. The Creator will take care of you.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Man Suz. That really sux. You should be enjoying yourself. And in my hometown too!!!
I am so jealous you are goin to WPB. I really miss it there. But I am not happy to see you struggling.
Do they know about you stopping?
Is there anythign you can do and is there any way to compromise with them somehow?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I made it through the day on the boat. They drank a lot and my sister in law was saying a lot of stuff about other family members that I'm sure she woke up embarrassed about. It wasn't all that uncomfortable for me except for in the beginning. I grew up going out on the boat every weekend with my family and starting at a very early age I would drink beer with the rest of the family. It was a status thing back then... Dad showing off his big boats, always a party. Sometimes I feel that my life is so much duller than my parents. I'm a home body now, don’t really do much other than work around the house, go to the gym and really that’s it. I feel fortunate to be in Florida... mostly because we are staying with my mother and father in law. He hasn't been well, so it's a blessing that we had enough united miles to bring us out here. Anyway I'm rambling now.
I think my sister in law was bored with me yesterday, I can't let that bother me though
Old 08-03-2009, 09:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Glad you stayed sober, this experience has given you another tool to put into your recovery tool box. It has given you the knowledge of what to do to stay sober the next time you are in this situation. Think about it, it was one day, that was it!!!! How does one stay sober? One day at a time!
Old 08-03-2009, 09:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Spending a day clean and sober on a boat sounds like a lot of fun! I can't remember too much about the dozens of drunk skiing trips I used to take.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
where the light is

Hey...I'm proud of you!

Something I really struggle with...comparing myself with others & worrying what others think of me.

Your life is not dull...you are following your path, getting stronger - right where you are supposed to be. And you are on vacation in Florida!

I do wonder if some people think I'm boring but you know, I was a real ass when I used to drink. Maybe my life is more laid back but I have a much greater appreciation of what I am blessed with, my sobriety in particular. I don't have to try to be someone I'm not.

Take care.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
6/20/08

I'm glad you didn't drink...and that you had a good time!

I totally understand your apprehension, though. When we have to do family things w/husbands side of the family, it is one big drunk. And I do mean Huge. The first couple I had to go to, I was extrememly uncomfortable. I'm better now. Like Taz said....gives you something to rely on later.

It's taking awhile, but it sure is nice to say to someone, "I've never felt better" when talking about my sobriety. The longer I'm sober, the easier it is to talk about. I like that.

And here I go rambling in your thread! Glad you are doing well.
Old 08-03-2009, 02:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad I didn't drink too!!! I have nearly 1 1/2 years now and I don't ever want to go back again. With all the meds I'm on it would probably kill me anyway. When faced with these situations, I will just leave early and be a bore while I'm there... I guess I'm fine with that. I'm too stubborn to drink and lose my sobriety!