Notices

Alcohol Free Vacations?

Old 07-31-2009, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Free Vacations?

After reading about one of our members going away on a vacation & being worried about all of the partying etc. (alcohol) I started to wonder what/if there are alternatives out there.

Has anyone been to an alcohol free resort or vacation?

Any thoughts or experiences that you would like to share?

I found this one site but was surprised that there didn't seem to be a lot of options available.

Sober Vacations International - since 1987

Thanks for sharing.

NB
Old 07-31-2009, 12:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Alcohol sales = money and big profits. This is why I imagine there are not that many out there. But I would LOVE it. i have thought about what a waste one of those all inclusive resorts would be now that I don't drink.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident

It would probably surprise you the number of people that go to All Inclusives and do not drink. The cost of alcohol is one of the less expensive things to the operators. Soda costs more in most places than beer and at a cost of about $2 per bottle booze is cheap compared to food costs. I am going to one in October and plan on enjoying the sun and the ocean and the gym and the meals and the sunsets instead of going and drinking away most of the night and sleeping away most of the day.
Booze is an actual hinderance to really enjoying one of these places especially the higher end ones where the food is gourmet and the shows are professional like.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I went on the best sober vacation. It was not technically deemed that but if you got blasted every night you would not have been able to fully enjoy it. It was surf camp in Hawaii. Out of the six other travelers there, one was in recovery. It was so helpful to my sobriety. I think wellness retreats in general where you do sports and challenge yourself will lean towards alcohol-free. Of course you might not get a completely sober environment (I think one night a couple of girls drank at dinner) but you will get an environment much more conducive to sobriety and maybe more importantly recovery.

There are surf camps in Hawaii, Costa Rica and Mexico. Other ideas would be yoga retreats or mountain climbing or hiking adventures. And most spas don't allow alcohol...
Old 07-31-2009, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

There are some GREAT 'sober' activities for vacations out there:

Sober Cruises, Sober Vacation, Sober Travel and Fun in Sobriety

SoberCruises "Because Sobriety Should be Fun"

Sober Sailors | Welcome Aboard

sober travelers : vacations, retreats and getaways for those in recovery

SOBER TRAVEL ADVENTURES

And on and on and on.

I have taken several 'sober cuises' and have had an ABSOLUTE BALL!!!!!!

Hope that helps....................

Love and hugs,
Old 07-31-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Interesting question, I guess for me is to pack my sobriety along with the rest of my things. If I'm sober there's sobriety wherever I go. Last week I was in Squaw Valley, CA and next week I'm in D.C I just plan on just keeping on keeping on not picking up. People drinking don't bother me unless they're obnoxious drunks, hum, I resemble thart remark. I don't get envious or craving because I stay grounded, mindful and in the moment with sobriety. So far it's working for me so I'll keep working it ODAAT.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good thread. I have thought about doing a yoga/health retreat weekend. Have not done it yet, but sounds very cool. There are all sorts of cycling vacations as well, hiking, too. I am off for a 10 day vacation myself tomorrow. There will be temptations.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
vicariousrising

I've been wondering about sober vacations myself. I've thought someone might be able to make some money putting together fantastic vacations for the sober folk.

I'm glad to see that people here have some great suggestions too.