Notices

are alcoholics born to be alcoholics???

Old 07-30-2009, 02:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

are alcoholics born to be alcoholics???

just a quick question.

i would like feed back on weather or not you feel alcoholics are born to be alcoholics or external influences make us alcoholic?

at what stage does our bodies become alcoholic?

dandare
Old 07-30-2009, 02:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh boy have you openned a Pandora's box with that question. lol
Old 07-30-2009, 02:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Heathen

I don't believe that. A lot of people do.

I don't think my body became an alcoholic.. I think I became dependent on alcohol for many many reasons.

Now I'm not.

*edit: I grew up in foster care, I know nothing about my 'family' or genetics. That being said, I do think that people might have a genetic propensity towards addiction issues, but I do not believe that people are born alcoholic. I also think this goes back to a nature/nurture debate that will never be resolved. I grew up with drunks and addicts. No idea if it was in my genes. Maybe neither influenced me and I found my very own independent way to liquor (imagine THAT!).
Old 07-30-2009, 02:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I believe now that alcoholism can be hereditary. My father is practically a lost cause alcoholic and I'm on my way. But I could dismiss the idea if I hadn't read up on much of the science of addiction. 'Under the Influence' is a very good book to start with (Big thanks to CarolD here for bringing it to my attention in some miserable post of mine last year). Like they say, 'Know your enemy'.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm one of the crowd that does believe I was born an alcoholic. I used to think that my alcoholism started with the first drink at around 14, and that I turned a corner somewhere around 28 to hard alcoholism. But the longer I'm in recovery and the deeper I dig into my background, the behavior was in place long before the substance was a daily ritual. My parents are both alcholics, so it makes sense to me that I was born with it.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I believe there may be some genetic disposition to alcoholism, that is, there may be a gene for alcohol dependency, but upbringing matters too. As far as what stage we become alcoholics... well, I don't rightly know, all I know is I started out drinking one glass of wine in the afternoon to 'relax' and six months later I was drinking all day every day. I guess I got to that 'stage' very quickly and was hooked very badly.

There are sure to be a lot of opinions and ideas about your questions! I look forward to reading them.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We learned in rehab that some peoples livers break down alcohol less efficiently than others, i guess this could mean that these people are more disposed to becoming alcoholics. I would guess that enviroment and conditioning have a great part to play in whether, even though you are disposed to alcoholism, you actually ever really become a full blown practicing alcoholic. However just because someone chooses not to drink, doesnt mean they arent an alcoholic.

Is addictive behaviour just learned or is there something in the brain that makes that person more succeptable to this form of behaviour than his neighbour? It seems that in many families that it is possible to identify family members with alcoholism or addictive behaviour. You could always compare this to learned behaviour like the mum who had the daughter at 16 and the daughter having a kid at 16 and so the cycle continues, enviroment and conditioning or maybe, in the case of alcoholism, there is something in the genes that we havent idetified as yet.

It is hardly surprising that this question does not have a definitive answer as alcoholism is given such a low prioirty with exproratory research, think that might change though in the future! For me i come from a long line of alchies and compulsive gamblers so i think i was heading this way as soon as i was spat out!

Really interesting question...
Old 07-30-2009, 02:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't know Dan.
Does it matter?

Some of us have alcoholic forebears, some don't.

It what we do about it that counts for me.
D
Old 07-30-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ago

sometimes
Old 07-30-2009, 03:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

Yes and no! With the higher percentage on the yes. My family while growing up were very sober people and was protected from much alcohol. But alcohol is leagal and easy to get ahold of. It was only a matter of time for me. On the other hand I have come to recognize my disease as a spiritual one and feel that one can drink so much to actually lose all control and become a alkie.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't know Dan.
Does it matter?

Some of us have alcoholic forebears, some don't.

It what we do about it that counts for me.
D
This is also a very appropriate sentiment. We have to quit looking to understand everything and accept situations.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Was I born an alcoholic? Probably! I was born with brown eyes as well. Anyone can become dependant on alcohol over time- it’s just easier and faster for some of us. Work hard enough at any thing and over time you will succeed.

Don't drink today

Ed
Old 07-30-2009, 04:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was not born an Alcoholic. I worked really hard for a long time to become one. I came from a family of Tee-Totalers and was never even exposed to Alcohol until after I was of Drinking Age. I do feel that for some people there is a Genetic Component that makes the jump happen much faster but it is by no means ineviteable.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I believe that alcohol has different effects on different people.....a lot of it has to do with the chemistry of ones body, but way more with the mind. I had my first real drinking experience way too young....but even back then...in the back of my mind I knew it was a problem for me.....so yes...body/chemistry...heredity????.....but ultimatly our mind...our own choice to continue...our body can not continue to drink without our mind allowing ourselves to take a sip...I still blame myself....can't allow myself to think it's not my fault....I'll just keep doing the same old sh*t
Old 07-30-2009, 06:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I thought a few years ago an "alcoholism gene" was identified, but now I can't find anything much about it. The study was from 2004 I think. I always wondered why no one else in my entire family that I know of had my problem with alcohol (many of the men died rather young, so who knows?) One counselor I had suggested that anyone can become alcohol dependent if we keep at it long enough. I felt like that was what happened with me - I loved it right away and made it part of my life. I never drank normally, always to excess.

I was also told by my son's pediatrician that if both my husband & I were alcoholics, he would definitely be one. If only one of us was, he'd have a 50% chance of being an alcoholic. Confusing.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Just me...

I started abusing booze and drugs at the age of 13.

I had a father who was a drug dealer and mother who was the Mary Poppins of mother hood. That being said. I didn't really start to develope a problem (when I look back), until after my car wreck at 25.

I do not absorb food, drink, booze, drugs like others. I could drink 6 beers and its only like drinking 3 to me. The doctors explained I only absorb half of what I drink and less then that of what I eat. So I was drinking excessively very quickly.

I think everyone though will have their own answer to that question. I know for me, that drinking is not the answer.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:56 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Just me...

What I am tryinng to say basically.... Is no one really knows the answer to yourr question. But, everyone does have an opinion, as to what the answer is.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:58 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My father died after 24 years in AA... sober.

My brother has 23 years in AA

I look a whole lot like them... I act a whole like them... Many people think my brother and I are twins...

I absolutely believe that alcoholism is inherited... like hair color, eyes, body types, personality, etc... Not genetic... It's not absolute or predictable...

My 2 cents

Mark
Old 07-30-2009, 08:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Originally Posted by dandare View Post
weather or not you feel alcoholics are born to be alcoholics or external influences make us alcoholic? at what stage does our bodies become alcoholic?
i don't know.
i don't care.

i am what i am and i'm glad who i am. God thinks so too!
All things have worked together for today to be possible.

Would you like to discuss anything recovery related?
Would you like to discuss living life on life's terms?
Old 07-30-2009, 08:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post

I was also told by my son's pediatrician that if both my husband & I were alcoholics, he would definitely be one. If only one of us was, he'd have a 50% chance of being an alcoholic.
In my opinion, your son's pediatrician should stick with pediatrics, he or she is probably perfectly competent in that area of medicine.

Mark