Lucy's six month update

Old 07-29-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lucy's six month update

Well, this is just what it says, as six month update on me and my crew!

Two days ago was exactly six months since my brother died from his addiction. At the time I was devastated, I'm still sad and still miss him every day, but how true is the saying 'life goes on'?

I truly hadn't ralised how empty I'd let my life become, I'd let most of my friends go because I didn't want to involve them inmy crazy famly, I let most of my interests go, because it was easier that way. And boy had I neglectd my house, not in a health hazard way, but I didn't take much interest in it past the housework and laundry!

And the kids? I looked after them way too much, tried to protect them from everything.

Six months on it's all changing bit by bit. I still miss my brother and I'll never stop remembering him, but my life is so different. I had a tough time getting my head round the 'relief' I felt at first, even on the day he died I felt some kind of relief. Now I know it's OK to feel that, it's as much a relief that he isn't suffering and tortured any more.

The kids are all doing great, Joe included (for those of you who don't know Joe is my brothers son, his mum died 2 years ago from cancer and he lives with us now) Joe's shown incredible strength in the last few months, so much more than when his mum died, he knows now it's Ok to talk and to remember the good times, although we talk about the bad times too. Not every day, but we all know it's not taboo to talk about the dead. I think he's going to be OK after all of this, I really hope so and I know I can only do my best to guide him, the rest is up to him, but I really do think he'll be fine.

I didn't realise how much my brother had affected my own boys, but they're both seeming much happier, James, my youngest has ben discharged from his ADD doc, he doesn't need any medication or input from them now.
My eldest, Dan is planning his future in art and graphic design (I hope that art is as far as he follows in his Uncles footsteps though)

Me, well, I've decided to take up my mothers offer of taking a lot of furniture from my brothers house, I can't afford new and it's good quality stuff, I've been sorting the house out room by room for a few months and for once I started on my room, I'd usually leave it till last and do half a job on it.
I've lost a fair bit of weight that I didn't really need to lose, but I feel good, got my hair done different and actually wear a bit of make up everyday now.
Oh, and theres a bit of romance going on, which is nice.

I just wanted to let you know, there is life after death. I'm not going to waste another minute of mine, it's too short.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Good stuff Lucy, and very inspiring, thanks for sharing! Sounds like you have a very full and incredibly rich life, I wish you nothing but the best as it goes on.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Lucy. It sounds like life is moving on as it should, it is just a matter of picking up the pieces. How you've described the changes you and your family are making is part of the grieving process, you are accepting and moving forward.

:praying
Old 07-29-2009, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

Old 07-29-2009, 03:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It sounds like it was a really hard time. You are doing so well and I think his son is very lucky to be living with you.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Lucy-- good to hear from you and hear the positive upswing...I really think it is amazing how much we can put aside when there is all the insanity of alcoholism affecting our family...I'm glad everyone is settling down....and a little romance?? woo hoo...ah life...enjoy every minute of all of it!!!
(((hugs)))
b
Old 08-04-2009, 04:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Lucy. Wow. Lots of things are changing in your life. Amazing how well things can go when you "let" them just kind of develop on their own. Keep that focus on YOU, girlfriend. You deserve every good thing that is coming your way!
Old 08-05-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Life is pretty good at the moment. I do have to give myself a mental slap every so often, usually when I start to feel guilty about how good it is! I remind myself I worked hard to get here, and it's not because of anyone else or any events, it's because I looked at myself and realised where I was lacking then did something about it.
I wouldn't have done anything about myself I don't think if I hadn't found SR, I'd still be whirling around thinking it was al my fault or that I could 'help' my brother and my family cure themselves. One thing I have fond is that my attitude these days has a kind of knock on effect, I can see the children changing and thinking about things more, they're calmer these days and so much more mature (in a healthy way, not a grown up too soon way) My mum too has a slightly different more positive outlook.

So thanks friends, you've helped most of my family by supporting me through the tough times.