Notices

Smoking and drinking

Old 07-28-2009, 08:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smoking and drinking

How many alcoholics were also smokers. Its seems to be a very striking combination. For me, I only smoked when I drank but when I drank I smoked about a pack of cigarettes almost chain smoking the damn things. I drank about 3 or 4 times a week.

There were times when I quit smoking but still drank but I didnt like drinking nearly as much without the cigarettes AND I would get drunk really fast. Its almost as though the cigarettes would keep me from getting drunk.

I read somewhere that they block the absorption of alcohol (I have a suspicion that COKE does this too) so that you can drink alot more than if you just drank alone.

I have since quit smoking too but looking at peoples drugs of choice it appears that heavy drinkers either smoked or liked cocciane

Is this true for you? Lets do a little survey
Old 07-28-2009, 08:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shelly009 View Post
How many alcoholics were also smokers. Its seems to be a very striking combination. For me, I only smoked when I drank but when I drank I smoked about a pack of cigarettes almost chain smoking the damn things. I drank about 3 or 4 times a week.

There were times when I quit smoking but still drank but I didnt like drinking nearly as much without the cigarettes AND I would get drunk really fast. Its almost as though the cigarettes would keep me from getting drunk.

I read somewhere that they block the absorption of alcohol (I have a suspicion that COKE does this too) so that you can drink alot more than if you just drank alone.

I have since quit smoking too but looking at peoples drugs of choice it appears that heavy drinkers either smoked or liked cocciane

Is this true for you? Lets do a little survey
i've kicked opiates recently but still indulging in a little booze here and there, nothing serious.

but when i'm in social situations and having a beer, i DEFINITELY want a cigarette; though i do not smoke when i am not drinking. there's just an added effect to using both at the same time. it also gives me a chance to have conversations with other smokers.

i don't know about feeling less intoxicated or it blocking the absorbtion. that seems a little unlikely but i'm not that studied on it.

so, yea, cigarettes with booze has always made sense to me.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I drank it brought out all of my bad habit's. So yer, if there's cigs I will smoke em but I could take or leave cigs tbh. When I was smoking though I would smoke loads and before the smoking ban came in I would usually always smoke and drink in the boozer. But I am an out an out binger so whatever drug I take I will take to excess.

When doing stims (coke, e's, bzp, amphet) as well as drinking that's where I made sure I had ciggies on me as I would need an 'activity' to help alleviate all of the energy that I had and also cig's went great with them. You can really feel your brain reward pathways being triggered when peaking on stims and smoking ciggies. A classic combination and all the coke heads I've ever met appreciated it.

I loved doing stims with drinking as that deffo countered the effect of the drink so it meant I could drink way, way more and still be relatively coherent. I can't see the point in smoking cigs without being on something else though. Don't give me any pleasure really.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I was a smoker, about a pack a day unless I was drinking really heavy then my smoking picked up. The 2 went togather, I quit smoking a year after my last drink.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Im weird because I hated smoking when drinking, it made me feel sick everytime. I loved smoking with tea but never with alcohol. Ive been smoke free for over 4 years and its the one thing I know I'll never do again. In fact I qyuit smoking because it made my beer taste bad.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I started using smokeless tobacco and drinking right around the same time, at age 14. Kept up both habits for 27 years. I quit the chewing tobacco 3 months before I found sobriety. The progression of my alcoholism increased at a frightening rate then, I'd guess my drinking tripled when I abstained from tobacco. I had several doctors tell me it was a really dumb thing to do, quitting both addictions cold turkey.

For me those two things went hand-in-hand. Nowadays, I say good riddance to both of them. My health has never been better, I'm sure I'll live at least a little bit longer
Old 07-28-2009, 10:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heathen

I'm not gonna touch the coke thing, because that's completely unrelated to alcohol consumption and more related to being completely different substances that do completely different things to effect neurotransmitters in our mushy brains. I used to drink and do a bunch of coke at the same time, and it was the most ******** thing ever because one would bring me up, then one would bring me down.. kinda like Alice in Wonderland trying to get 'just right'. Yuck.

I did smoke when I drank, the more I drank the more I wanted a smoke, then I'd go outside to smoke and get thirsty. Was a wicked combo for me..
Old 07-28-2009, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Surveys are cool

I was a heavy smoker and drinker. I tried cocaine but didn't care for it. Before the later days, when I was interested in food I didn't drink or smoke as much
Old 07-28-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes, I would love to smoke and drink. If I didn't smoke, I'd probably only have like 6 beers or so and be done. With cigs, I can get to 10 beers+ easy. There is something about the interplay between the two - one is a depressant and the other a stimulant - those two interacting become a source of pleasure. The couple times I did drink without smoking, I always found my hangover to be much more tolerable the next day without what amounts to nicotine poisioning.

I used to do coke when I could find it for a bit while drinking. I'd usually slow my drinking way down then. Coke+alcohol is not a good combo. Produces this chemical called cocaethylene that is super toxic and makes the drug more potent than coke alone. I found this out a few months ago the hard way in a binge that left me with severe anxiety the next day. As that's a combo I hadn't done in awhile and I remembered why I left it alone.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
I'm not gonna touch the coke thing, because that's completely unrelated to alcohol consumption and more related to being completely different substances that do completely different things to effect neurotransmitters in our mushy brains. I used to drink and do a bunch of coke at the same time, and it was the most ******** thing ever because one would bring me up, then one would bring me down.. kinda like Alice in Wonderland trying to get 'just right'. Yuck.

I did smoke when I drank, the more I drank the more I wanted a smoke, then I'd go outside to smoke and get thirsty. Was a wicked combo for me..

Wow, Smacked, me too!
Old 07-28-2009, 03:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

I could never drink and not smoke! I started smoking at 16. I quit a couple of times but always went back.
I could not imagine drinking and not smoking.
I tried. Could not do it.
I quit smoking a little over 14 months ago and I quit smoking 2 weeks ago.
Hopefully I will not go back to smoking.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

When I was drinking I did smoke way more that usual. When I used methamphetamine and drank I smoked like a forest fire.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I smoked when I drank - of course, at the end, I was doing both 24/7.
Gave both up at the same time.

I've never done coke, so
D
Old 07-28-2009, 04:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I smoked when I drank - of course, at the end, I was doing both 24/7.
Gave both up at the same time.

I've never done coke, so
D
God bless you Dee, both at the same time???? I congratulate you on that! I have a friend who quit drinking and when she got that down she quit smoking. She said quitting drinking was much easier.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

they were so bound in together for me - seemed like the right thing to do.
Plus, I'm a bit stubborn LOL

luckily it worked
D
Old 07-28-2009, 05:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, I love the ciggies or a good hookah when I am drinking. Especially flavoured tobacco with the hookah.

If I'm not drinking, I have noooo urge at all to smoke.
I've never done coke.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:15 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I only smoked when I drank. It made the buzz better. I would smoke a pack a night when I drank. During the day when not drinking cigs smelled and tasted terrible...and I didn't do them. Whe I quit drinking and I therefore quit smoking by default I guess. I withdrew from alcohol and nicotine at the same time. And now I am on this side of it! Whew.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

well i've been smoking on and off for years, and i definitely agree that quitting drinking was much easier! so i was always smoking when i was drinking...i don't think that i smoked more than usual while drinking though. drinking and coke went hand in hand for me...if i was doing coke, i would want alcohol when i was coming down...if i was drinking i would want coke just for the hell of it. when i did that though the next day was always horrible..laying in bed allllll day feeling like death..glad those days are over