Notices

Stupidity....am I done yet?

Old 07-27-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stupidity....am I done yet?

Being sober...makes me so much more aware of my surroundings I guess....It's almost hard to deal with the stupidity around me at times....
Am I just agitated because I am not numb anymore...or is this stupidity everywhere....????
and was I also this stupid?? and ignorant?? and I did not realize this before??
I HOPE NOT.....drunk = stupidity.....we all know this..but I'm talking about everyday people doing everyday stuff....it is sad...??? reality
but this is one more reason to NEVER drink again..
why make **** even harder on yourself???
I will not drink today for you because i love you
I will not drink today for me so you will love me again like you used to
I will not drink today so I have a future that does not include the stupidity that kills the life of so many
Old 07-28-2009, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

When friends ask me why I no longer drink I often say because it makes me stupid.

Sometimes one will reply, "Are you saying that drinking makes me stupid?"

I reply, "Well... does it ever make anybody smarter...?"

Alcohol no longer has a place in my life.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's almost hard to deal with the stupidity around me at times....
but I'm talking about everyday people doing everyday stuff.
It's called life.... I get what it is you are trying to say... This is why just not drinking is not recovering.

All this stupid, mundane, seemingly pointless stuff that people do, and for different people this stuff that seems stupid will be different... this everyday stuff... it has a point. Making our lives happier, more meaningful, or just celebrating being alive.

When I got my sanity back... I began to understand that my considering all this stuff as stupid was taking me away from life, isolating me... What was important to me was that I felt OK... Alcohol, pills, etc... that was what was stupid.

I hope I understood what you were saying and that you take what I said in the spirit I intended....

Mark
Old 07-28-2009, 05:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Hi Jade, nice to see you around here. Yes drinking/drugging made me real stupid.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol 'numbed" me, and that was stupid......
Old 07-28-2009, 06:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Can you control others? Can you change what they are doing? If the answer to those questions is no then why not just accept them for what ever they are or seem to be and just move on. My life is so much easier when I just accept what I can not change, it was not easy at first, I spent so many years trying to control all the people and things around me and when I failed at that I would get bent out of shape, either I was mad at them or I was viewing myself as a failure for not being able to control or change people around me to suit my needs.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Heathen

I agree with Mark.. absitnence has little to do with recovery.

I find beauty in the simplicity of life...
Old 07-28-2009, 06:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hmmm. When I just quit drinking for various amounts of time, everybody p*ssed me off. I couldn't believe the mundane, trivial, silly lives of everyone around me. Everyone seemed rude and insensitive. I felt better than everyone else, and felt like they had nothing of value. I was full of scorn and contempt. I'm not saying you are, just that's how it was for me. And I always returned to drinking. God knows I desreved to, having to deal with this stupid crap every day.

When that way of living was no longer tolerable to me, and I finally I took the steps of recovery, I began to see the world differently. My reaction to life underwent a profound alteration, as the Big Book says. I saw that the world and its people really dominated me.

Today I know that I see what I believe. If I believe the world is full of thoughtless, insensitive jerks, I'll be sure to find them. But the flip side is true as well. I joke sometimes that all the *ssholes must have moved away when I recovered. Funny as it sounds, I just don't see them anymore. It's probably because the biggest *sshole was me, and that person is gone. In that way, my own personal recovery has the power to change the world, as least as far as my perspective of it.

True recovery is the most beautiful thing in the world to me. It's a blessing every single day.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well, the a**holes never go away, but being sober makes them a lot easier to tolerate.

One thing I have noticed is that it's a lot easier to "walk a mile in the other guy's moccasins." Somebody whom I might have written off as a total jerk when drunk can be more easily forgiven.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SurviveIt View Post
Well, the a**holes never go away, but being sober makes them a lot easier to tolerate.
YMMV, but actually, they've gone away. And if one turns up, all I have to do is take an inventory of myself, and *poof*, they vanish. Like magic.

I call this magic, 'freedom'.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Stupidity, much like insanity, is up for daily revision! Thank God no one has to live life or recover from addiction according to my terms!!

What i know about stupidity and the process of thought i use to arrive at that judgement puts me within my own prison of feeling superior to other people. When i began to recognize God's authority to hold people accountable for their actions, i became free of arrogantly condemning people based on my perceptions about the results of their actions. i have learned how to feel good about myself and my progress in life without having to put other people down. i get in touch with self acceptance when i refuse to determine what direction someone else appears to be heading in. i find empathy for others growing stronger when i remember that i have acted stupidly during the course of my life as well. i risk becoming unwilling to help people when i start classifying their lives as pointless and beyond recall. i know this because i have done it. The results of disqualifying people from the hope that we all share daily has lead me down paths that i used to travel on in active addiction. i must remain open minded about myself and others so that i can maintain the emotional stability that has become very valuable to me. Staying in conscious contact with the God of my understanding helps me with my attitudes and behaviors that could result in causing harm to myself or others. Writing a gratitude list and being responsible for my own recovery helps me to remain humble with the things i cannot change and the things i can change. The Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions become more real to me as i continue to incorporate them into my daily life.

i have faith that you will become more willing to accept reality, yourself,
and others just as it all is and continue surrendering to a new way of life.