Notices

Just did my first 10K

Old 07-26-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just did my first 10K

I am sooo excited!! I just did my first 10k this morning. I told my hubby and kids not to bother coming as I had to get up real early (6:30) and leave by 7 to get there for an 8am start. But my 5 year old daughter woke up before I did and then my son got up (usually doesnt crawl out of bed till 8:30) to give me a glass of water to make sure I was hydrated (so cute... hes 7!). So my husband got up and said "lets all go and watch mommy race" So they came with me to meet me at the finish line.. it was awesome!! And then we went for crepes for breakfast. YUM.

It took me 1hr 7 min to complete and I burnt 1000 calories!

I was choked up as I left the start gate thinking about how far I have come from only just over a month ago. If you had asked me where I would be 6 weeks ago, I would NEVER have guessed I would be so happy, feeling so great and completing a 10k race.

This has been a really great day! Sobriety ROCKS!!!! Thanks SR.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Shelly!!! I know the feeling. I used to run races and I remember my first 10K and how proud I was. I worked my way up to doing the marathon here in DC (!) -- maybe you can, too (you're young enough!) It's an awesome feeling to have a goal and work for it.

Great job.

Laura
Old 07-26-2009, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow Laura!! A marathon.. gee I dont know... whats the saying... one step at a time! Who knows!!
Old 07-26-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Whoa, that's really cool! Congratulations!!
Old 07-26-2009, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know, I know. But once you get the running bug, you'll see. More 10Ks, maybe work your way up to a 10 miler next Then a 1/2 marathon. Then.... maybe, you'll say you want to do a marathon. People told me that I would after my first 10K -- I used to said "No way, never!" Well, I did (after a few years of running) and it was an accomplishment -- amazing, fun, difficult, all of the above.

Well, I'm getting off topic. One step at a time, for sure. But you sound unstoppable!!! Enjoy your success

Laura
Old 07-26-2009, 02:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Laura and good for you!! Maybe a half to start but I think I will get a few more 10s under my belt first. Your words are inspiring though!!
Old 07-26-2009, 02:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by shelly009 View Post
I am sooo excited!! I just did my first 10k this morning. I told my hubby and kids not to bother coming as I had to get up real early (6:30) and leave by 7 to get there for an 8am start. But my 5 year old daughter woke up before I did and then my son got up (usually doesnt crawl out of bed till 8:30) to give me a glass of water to make sure I was hydrated (so cute... hes 7!). So my husband got up and said "lets all go and watch mommy race" So they came with me to meet me at the finish line.. it was awesome!! And then we went for crepes for breakfast. YUM.

It took me 1hr 7 min to complete and I burnt 1000 calories!

I was choked up as I left the start gate thinking about how far I have come from only just over a month ago. If you had asked me where I would be 6 weeks ago, I would NEVER have guessed I would be so happy, feeling so great and completing a 10k race.

This has been a really great day! Sobriety ROCKS!!!! Thanks SR.
What a great post. I love it...!

What kind of shoes do you run in?
Old 07-26-2009, 03:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are so awesome! Please tell me you didn't just start running 6 weeks ago! If so you really are incredible. My brother is trying to convince me to run a half marathon with him in March. The only race I've ever done is a 5K, and while I felt great when it was over, I didn't enjoy it so much while I was doing it. I did run 3 miles today so I'm feeling pretty good about that. I workout a lot, but running just isn't my favorite. Oops, this isn't about me!

Congrats Shelly!! Sounds like nothing is stopping you.
Old 07-26-2009, 06:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Running isnt easy.. I used to run a few years back but gave it up (its not fun to run hungover or drunk!). And I am in decent shape so it wasnt too hard.

I love running because it gives me time to think and those endorphines are better than any drug ive tried!

Misstep, you should keep it up. If youve done a 5k then a 10k wouldnt be hard for you!!

Tommy, I run in adidas
Old 07-26-2009, 06:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Shelley, that is such a great post!

Good for you, and you're setting a great example for your children!
Old 07-26-2009, 07:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

Originally Posted by shelly009 View Post
I love running because it gives me time to think and those endorphines are better than any drug ive tried!
Shouldnt it be illegal??

I bike and run... today was a great run with a great buzz in the end.

The hills are like the hangovers and the finish line brings on the buzz... much better than drinking where the buzz leads to hangover.

Costs nothing too!
Old 07-26-2009, 07:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats Shelly!

All you runners are inspiring me to start again.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats Shelly and doesn't it give you a buzz.
I decided to take up running a month or two after stopping drinking and ran a 10k last September. At the time I couldn't have managed another step, but have run several half marathons since.
Keep up the good work, and best wishes.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey Shelly, great job. I think you'd be surprised how much farther you can run if you just keep training. ANYONE who can finish a 10K can finish a marathon. I'm training for a marathon this fall and having a great time. My kids ride their bikes ahead of me and even carry water for their old man in a backpack. Two months ago the thought of running marathon training runs – 10Ks – three or four times per week would have been crazy for me, but it just sorta happens when you keep plugging away. One important tip: make sure you keep yourself in good, relatively new shoes. 400 miles per pair of shoes is tops for me.

Exercise has helped me a lot, too. I mix in a lot of weightlifting, and I find that helps me avoid injuries. Maybe not drinking has helped in that regard, too! (77 days and feeling great.)

I think running has helped a lot of people maintain sobriety over the years. Plus they look good and feel better too. Keep it up!
Old 07-27-2009, 06:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats Shelly! An awesome accomplishment!
I started running last summer and ran my first 5k this June. A 10k seems a bit overwhelming to me right now as I have never run more that 4.5 miles in one shot but you give me inspiration to set an additional goal!

Maybe all the runners out in SR land can give me some tips on how to increase my distance without losing a lung!!! LOL
Old 07-27-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats Shelly, that is awesome, I can not decide which made me smile more, you doing the 10K or the whole family getting out there to support you, I know you are stoked about both!
Old 07-28-2009, 05:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sobriety in technicolor

Rock on Mama!!!! I hope to be where you're at someday! Thanks for the inspiration!