Notices

Anyone stay on SR with a drink in hand?

Old 07-23-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone stay on SR with a drink in hand?

Is it okay to drink and read posts?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You can do whatever you want as far as reading posts, I guess. But if you are on a soberrecovery site, maybe you will find the inspiration to ditch the drink and make today Day 1? I hope you do! Jomey
Old 07-23-2009, 10:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Resident grateful guy!

If i was drinking again this is the last place i would want to be. That's just me though.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
To thine own self be true

Old 07-23-2009, 11:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Heathen

If people are bothered by active drinkers, it's easy to use the ignore feature. I do it all the time. There are a lot of people very new and very fragile. Part of me wants to tell you that I think it's kind of messed up to drink and hang out in a recovery forum.. but people do quickly learn here that this is NOT a sober place, and NOT a safe place as it may have seemed when first joining. Anyone can read, join, whatever..

Thanks for the heads up, I guess.

I'm editing to say this, because I know someone will say it in reference to my post. This site is open to all people seeking recovery. For those that aren't and just "curious" about drunks .. I find it disrespectful. However.. many people are unsure of the problems they may or may not have, and they are helped by reading here.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am also drinking & typing with drink in hand, my drink of choice right now is a hot mocha coffee that I just made. I have to say I did a great job of it too hehe.

I hope you can read something inspirational today that will give that extra motivation to give it a go one more time (sobriety that is).

Im sure you are sick & tired of being sick & tired. Maybe you can post up how you ended up drinking so that you will have a reference tomorrow.

Either way, good luck in your journey.

Take Care,

NB
Old 07-23-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It's probably miles better to be seeking help of some sort while drinking, than to be drinking and seeking no help at all.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Yes effortjoy, it is okay.

I've suggested that some sponsees read over posts here to learn just exactly how bad the disease can get, and just exactly how 'non-sensical' some people can become as a result of the disease.

We each set an example... good or bad.

Keep coming back.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I like what Tommy said. I think that if you are here it is a good thing either way. There's a better chance of seeing something here that will help you to stop than if you weren't. Ya don't catch fish without a line in the water.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I did for 5 months. I knew what I needed to do, but it took that long for me to lay it down. I got my courage and determination from the words I read here.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
problem with authority

When I knew I was "on my way in" but still drinking, I used a board similar to SR to reach out and get some perspective from folks who were in recovery. My Drinking & Posting phase only lasted a few weeks, and I came to SR after I had stopped drinking.

I sometimes wonder if some of the posts I read here are written by the inebriated, but there's really no way to tell.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know me, and I know my motives would not be altruistic if I was on SR while drinking an alcoholic beverage. I'd probably be a taunting, disrespectful jerk. Clearly we're all different, but to Smacked's original point, my gut is skeptical. If you're clearly here for help, sober or not, more power to you. But I would hope these threads don't exist for entertainment for anyone – sober or not.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm reading this with "another" ice cold can of Coca-cola in my hand! Much less problems than a cold can of beer, I can stop after 1 can of cola, I won't stop with the beer untill I physically cannot drink anymore.

Do what you've gotta do. I did a lot of things with a drink in my hand. Reading this site was one of many.

It comes down to how much you value the buzz/comfort that you get from drinking. As long as you value that above all of the negative crap that it brings then you will continue to be unable to give up drinking.

Just my opinion obviously.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rockstar

Its teh internet Effortjoy, as long as nobody is disrespectful we can drink what we like while reading.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I wasn't on this board at the time but I spent a long time worrying seriously about my drinking while still drinking at times heavily at others in a more "controlled" way. I think it is extremely common. In fact I think it is virtually impossible to not concurrently believe you have a problem with alcohol and explore that possibility while still drinking. It isn't like all abstainers wake up one morning after having a lovely drinking career and poof! epiphany! done with alcohol. There is a middle stage of contemplation.

I for one think it is perfectly fine, good, in fact, that you have the courage to examine your habits and perhaps your disease. People on here have a wealth of knowledge about sobriety and abstinence and how much alcohol can ruin your life. These are the sorts of things you need to know to tip your motivation from wavering to solid. I would assume that while not an official requirement, like AA, if you are on SR all you need is a desire to stop drinking. And even if that inkling is very small and not yet put into action, I urge you to stick around.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I used to come here reading post high and depressed a lot too....never had the guts to reply tough....it gave me inspiration to fight my addiction(s)
Old 07-23-2009, 01:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

yeah i did it for a while, bit of advice avoid posting whilst you are pissed cos it is dead embarassing re-reading them later;-)
Old 07-23-2009, 01:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
avoid posting whilst you are pissed cos it is dead embarassing re-reading them later;-)
Too True.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

sfgirl says it right....
Old 07-23-2009, 01:59 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by anvilhead View Post
nobody here is going to GIVE you permission to drink,
Never say never, anvilhead. Effortjoy, you have my full permission to drink as much as you want. I won't envy you, be angry at you, or think any differently about you. There's not much we can do for you, though. If you want to find out about your condition, try some controlled drinking, as has been suggested in other threads.

But you've already been trying to abstain and failed. That may be all the information you need to decide for yourself.

When it comes to working with others, give me a wet drunk any day. Much more open to suggestions when you're hopeless.