How do you pay for multiple treatment programs

Old 07-23-2009, 07:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you pay for multiple treatment programs

I'm just wondering, I've read more than a few stories and watched a few episodes on "Intervention" where addicts are going for extended treatment lasting several months, or have been in treatment 5, 10, or 12 times! How in the world does that get paid for? Especially if they also have a job and provide income for the family?

My son just finished treatment and is doing well, but I'm scared to death of relapse because I don't have the money to send him again!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Rehab/treatment does not cure addiction.

Rehabs/treatment teach the tools of recovery. It's up to the addict to use them, or not.

28 day stints in rehabs have a serious detremental impact on the overall cost of health care, in the U.S. Addiction is an epidemic and premiums do not cover anywhere near the cost of the revolving doors of rehabilliation/ongoing treatment.

Funding in my state for court-ordered rehab/treatment is being slashed due to budget issues.

I am a mother of an addict who is tapped out. I threw $150,000, out of pocket, to fix her and it did not work. I am disappointed, not angry. It was my choice and she was not done, yet.

Is it fair to impose the cost of rehab/treatment on all taxpayers, especially when the rate of relapse is so high?

It's a tough, tough question to answer.

At some point in time, it becomes necessary for each person to accept responsibility for themselves, their choices and the consequences.

Interestingly, the people I know who have managed to beat addiction/alcoholism into submission, did so, without the benefit of rehab/treatment. They all had a burning desire to change their lives and they did, one day at a time.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

my AH first went to rehab that our health ins paid about 30 thousand dollars for

then he went to a state funded one and the ones where you work while there and that helps pay............

after the first one that ins paid for I stopped worrying how it would get paid but my situation is different its my husband not my son.

You can't worry about tomorrow just stay in today..........and know that there are state funded programs and other things to help the addict, but it doesnt matter where they go its what they do with what they are taught.....

best wishes to you and your son.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

My health plan covered all but about $100 out of pocket - 3 times.

First 2 were 28 day stays. The third was for 6 months. In addition, I'm the primary income earner in my house (married, one child). I was covered under disability and earned wages while I was out and was able to return to work.

Not everyone has a health plan and/or employer this generous. But some of us do. I consider myself very lucky.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I know that rehab is not a cure.... I was just wondering how the 'average joe' paid for multiple trips, because I know I sure couldn't ....or wouldn't. As far as I'm concerned, after one trip to rehab they know the drill and what it takes to get and stay sober and all the support they need is available 24/7 through AA and its affiliates.

Today is my son's 2 month 'birthday' and he's very happy.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

congrats to your son!!!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

My health insurance will pay for the detox part but not long term inpatient stay... and a typical inpatient stay is around 30 thousand dollars.. or at least the ones I have contacted are that much... thats a lot of dough to spend on someone who is just going to rehab because someone forced an intervention on him... if you will notice on that show that a lot of those addicts leave treatment before their 90 days are up or they come home and relaps,, why? because they are not ready to get clean, they were doing it for someone else and not themselves..

In the state of GA there is a place that is like a work farm and it is funded solely by donations.. it's a long term stay with the minimum being six months but there is no counseling involved.. just a lot of AA meetings and the addicts have to work on site at the farm.. guess thats how they earn their keep.. It's an option that I'm keeping an open mind about if and when my AH ever becomes ready to go to treatment.. cause lets face it, until he is ready to go it is a waste of time, money and effort for me or his family to try to push him into it..
Old 07-23-2009, 03:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
On a tear

We paid for two inpatient and one long stint of outpatient using our insurance for my daughter. But when her brother went the same year, he was already too old to be covered. Back in 2004 - when this occured - that particular rehab had access to state funds. They were quite adept at using their skills to obtain state funds for my daughter to continue on at a recovery house and to take my son for 28 days. The key in both cases was the kids had to be "homeless". I call it a God-Thing, because until I was able to say "you cannot come home if you leave treatment early" they could not apply for those funds. I got strong enough to make that statement, she accepted it and the center found the state funding. Amazing, eh?

Most of the budget cuts in this state hit the ADATSA funding (alcohol and drug funding), but money has been "found" to replace some of the cuts. Still, there are faith-based rehabs that will take a person in - the Salvation Army, is one.

But as it was pointed out above - rehab is not a silver bullet. Those times in rehab gave my kid some much needed "down time" from her meth addiction. Time for her brain to heal and for her to solidify some of what she learned. But she has been in and out of her addiction since then, and jail has taken the place of rehab as far as giving her a place to get some clean time.

What *I* believe, with all my heart, is that my daughter has a Higher Power... and it ain't me. It used to be, and I fought like the dickens to keep that role, but HP prevailed. And I am grateful.

Today, I know she is on a path that is NOTHING like the one I had imagined for her. I grieved for a long time over the loss of "my plan", but today I can just watch and wait... as she hits a bump in the road, makes choices and decisions that take her down one branch or the other... with HP providing opportunities for sobriety (read: jail) to get her back on track from time to time.

Being the mom of an addict is hard.... much harder than being the mom of a successful college graduate who finds a well-educated mate and settles down to have 2.3 kids, two cats and dog.

But I think I wouldn't change anything. As she has changed over the years, I have also changed. And though the price was high, the changes in me have been good.

I wish you the best. ((hugs))
Old 07-24-2009, 04:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I agree... I am looking at the posts of what some have paid for rehab and am shocked at the cost. I'm not sure what goes in a rehab first hand, but if it cost the same amount of money for tuition to a school we might as well get the CASAC ourselves.... Jail is always an option. I'm not kidding with that one. MY ABF was in jail for six months, and it was a good DETOX (I stress detox because opiates take a long time to withdraw from.) God willing he will keep this pace and continue down this road.

Originally Posted by tjp613 View Post
Yes, I know that rehab is not a cure.... I was just wondering how the 'average joe' paid for multiple trips, because I know I sure couldn't ....or wouldn't. As far as I'm concerned, after one trip to rehab they know the drill and what it takes to get and stay sober and all the support they need is available 24/7 through AA and its affiliates.

Today is my son's 2 month 'birthday' and he's very happy.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jerect View Post
It's an option that I'm keeping an open mind about if and when my AH ever becomes ready to go to treatment.. cause lets face it, until he is ready to go it is a waste of time, money and effort for me or his family to try to push him into it..
I don't know how much of that is true. My son went to one of the top rehab clinics in the country. I spent a week in their 'family program' and came to know the staff pretty well. Most of them had 12+ years of employment there! My point is that I trust them without question. They advised that it isn't necessary for the A/A to WANT to be there. We just need to get them there then the staff will work their magic. And it's true. My son went reluctantly. It was either homelessness or treatment. He spent a week whining and moaning about being there, said he didn't belong, etc. He came out a 'believer' and has made a lot of changes -- truly amazing changes. I'm extremely happy he had that opportunity. If it's a GOOD program, getting them there is all that matters...in most cases.

Originally Posted by BigSis View Post

What *I* believe, with all my heart, is that my daughter has a Higher Power... and it ain't me. It used to be, and I fought like the dickens to keep that role, but HP prevailed. And I am grateful.

Today, I know she is on a path that is NOTHING like the one I had imagined for her. I grieved for a long time over the loss of "my plan", but today I can just watch and wait... as she hits a bump in the road, makes choices and decisions that take her down one branch or the other... with HP providing opportunities for sobriety (read: jail) to get her back on track from time to time.

Being the mom of an addict is hard.... much harder than being the mom of a successful college graduate who finds a well-educated mate and settles down to have 2.3 kids, two cats and dog.

But I think I wouldn't change anything. As she has changed over the years, I have also changed. And though the price was high, the changes in me have been good.

I wish you the best. ((hugs))
Bless your heart. I can imagine this has been a very long and painful road for you, but you have arrived safe and sound. I know that I could be headed down the same path and hope that I have 1/2 the wisdom and strength you have. Thank you for sharing with me.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tjp613 View Post

My son went to one of the top rehab clinics in the country. I spent a week in their 'family program' and came to know the staff pretty well. Most of them had 12+ years of employment there! My point is that I trust them without question. They advised that it isn't necessary for the A/A to WANT to be there.

We just need to get them there then the staff will work their magic. And it's true. My son went reluctantly. It was either homelessness or treatment. He spent a week whining and moaning about being there, said he didn't belong, etc. He came out a 'believer' and has made a lot of changes -- truly amazing changes. I'm extremely happy he had that opportunity. If it's a GOOD program, getting them there is all that matters...in most cases.

No rehab experience is wasted. On the other hand, it's not magic.

I think it's important to remain aware that rehab is business, big business.

Your son made the decision, given the alternative, homelessness.

Lord know, not all, would make that same decision, under the same set of circumstances.

Lord knows, not all parents would or could give their child the same alternative.

That the time was right for your son and he had the opportunity and is embracing change, is the miracle.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

OTL said it very well ............................. sometimes 'rehab' works sometimes it does not, depends on the addict.

The show Intervention is almost a 'last gasp' effort for many families. My cousin and his wife are working with them now about their daughter.

The show Intervention, states again and again that they bring the 'bottom' to the addict with the friends and family's help. ie "Accept this gift now or the following will happen" which is usually no more money, no place to live, no phone calls etc.

Also, the show only pays for a ONE WAY TICKET to the treatment facility. The rehab is paid for. Now if the person accepts, goes through the program, goes on to whatever Sober Living is recommended, the show will pay for the ticket home eventually. If the addict leaves the rehab early they are on their own.

As to how others pay ............................ well some with insurance the first several times, later on if the addict continues, it may be the state they are currently living in giving them one more chance and then there are the 'free' programs like Salvation Army (which is excellent btw).

I will say an extra prayer that your son did grab on to all the TOOLS he has been given and uses them every day, for the rest of his life.

I can personally tell you, as can others on this forum, that early recovery (the first 2 to 5 years) are EXTREMELY HARD as the addict works to literally change everything about themselves. I ranted, raved, kicked, screamed wondered when it would end (it doesn't, but change does become easier). Not only did I have to change my thinking, my attitudes, my actions and reactions, I had to learn how to deal with LIFE in a new way, as I could no longer 'numb' myself.

I am happy that your son succumbed to rehab and will hope and pray that he uses those 'tools' to the max.

Love and hugs,
Old 07-24-2009, 11:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The cost of rehab can be daunting. A great deal depends on the level of care provided. A rehab with a hospital level of care can cost more than $1000 a day. Places with a lower level of care abou 1/3 that.

My xAGF is on facility #4.

#1 Hospital Level $1,100 pay (60 day program, stayed 21)
#2 Lower Level -- $400 day (90 day program, stayed 5)
#3 Acute hospital level -- $1,500 day (15 day stay, discharged)
#3 Lower level -- $300 day (90 day program, 70 completed)

I am fortunate to have great insurance. I don't know how people without it can get the help they need.

She has actually seen the most progress at #4. Hard to say if it is the program, or just that she keeps hearing the same stuff over and over... and is sinks in a bit at a time.