Old 07-23-2009, 01:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Language of Letting Go - July 23 - Making it Happen

You are reading from the book Language of Letting Go - Melody Beattie

Making It Happen

Stop trying so hard to make it happen.

Stop doing so much, if doing so much is wearing you out or not achieving the desired results. Stop thinking so much and so hard about it. Stop worrying so about it. Stop trying to force, to manipulate, to coerce, or to make it happen.

Making things happen is controlling. We can take positive action to help things happen. We can do our part. But many of us do much more than our part. We overstep the boundaries from caring and doing our part into controlling, caretaking, and coercing.

Controlling is self-defeating. It doesn't work. By overextending ourselves to make something happen, we may actually be stopping it from happening.

Do your part in relaxed, peaceful harmony. Then let it go. Just let it go. Force yourself to let it go, if necessary. "Act as if." Put as much energy into letting go as you have into trying to control. You'll get much better results.

It may not happen. It may not happen the way we wanted it to and hoped it would. But our controlling wouldn't have made it happen either.

Learn to let things happen because that's what they'll do anyway. And while we're waiting to see what happens, we'll be happier and so will those around us.

Today, I will stop forcing things to happen. Instead, I will allow things to happen naturally. If I catch myself trying to force events or control people, I will stop and figure out a way to detach.

Copyright © 1990 by Hazelden Foundation.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Put as much energy into letting go as you have into trying to control. You'll get much better results.
This was a difficult concept for me to grasp. I felt as if letting go would allow my world to spin out of control. The irony was that my life was already out of control...the concept that I could control anything that wasn't mine to control, other people and their addiction, was an illusion.

All I can control is my actions, my "reactions" and my choices to obsess or find a healthy distraction. Today I can control my attitude, and an attitude of gratitude for all the good things in my life will take me far better places than an attitude of fear, frustration or helplessness.

Hugs
Old 07-23-2009, 03:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Exactly what I needed to read this morning, seems like an answer to my thread. A night of little sleep (4 huge dogs looking for papa), they know something is different. Suprise for them-a romp outside in the dark and then dogs and I are going to bed!!!!! Ann, you have the magical touch at the right time for me. Thanks!!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 08:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"How's that working for you?" - this is a question I ask myself and is my response when other's ask me if they are doing enough? It wasn't easy, but it has been such a relief to let go.

I participate in my life, I do what I can in a positive way towards what I think is what I want, and then I have to let go and have faith that it will work out the way it's supposed to. Like right now, I am looking for a house (a home really) and while prices are coming into my range, the inventory is not there - yet. I have to stop myself from panicking, and rethinking what and where I want to live and know that I have given myself clear parameters on where and they are flexible enough, I have a nice roof over my head for now, and when it's time - my home will come. All the fretting and constant scouring of MLS, neighborhoods, etc. is NOT going to make it before it's going to. I can look every week at the MLS, I can keep an eye out as I'm driving around and that is enough.

Thanks Ann, as always - these JFT's are such a great daily reminder!
Old 07-23-2009, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know how to let anything go...ever, so this is def something I need to work on asap.