Notices

Three days Not Drinking...but Sweating Profusely...

Old 07-23-2009, 12:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Three days Not Drinking...but Sweating Profusely...

Insurance not an option and I live alone --- trying to do entirely by myself with the help of the computer. There is no one to help --- relatives or friends; I asked. It's like I have the plague. Afraid that even if I succeed I won't be able to stay off. The reasons for drinking still exist (e.g., kids out of the country and out of communication, legal issues, can't afford lawyers or get legal help --- I looked). And no replacement coping mechanisms. And no one cares. My mother didn't even call. (I'm not a bad guy --- no criminal record or anything.)

For now, I have atenolol, diazapam, and allergy pills (D-HCL). How much diazapam do I need to offset roughly 12 drinks a day for years? Does water help? Tx. What do D-Ts feel like?

I don't have a blood pressure monitor, but what is danger level. I'm normally 100/70.

Sweats, can't sleep, shakes, and hopefully worse not coming. Thanks.

me.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Akula

We want to help but our forum rules prohibit medical advice

Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
It's probably best to go to an ER - please see a medical professional. It really is in your best interests.

Heres a thread of members experiences of detox as a general guide
I hope it helps

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Welcome to SR
D
Old 07-23-2009, 01:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

sorry, i won't now

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
Old 07-23-2009, 03:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
grateful to be here

with you withdrawal symptoms, you should go to a doc. what dr is prescribing your other meds? maybe you could get in to see him/her since you are already established.
sending support your way and congrats on 3 days!
Old 07-23-2009, 04:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

We definitely do not give any medical advice.

Please talk to your dr.

We are here to support you in your recovery.
Old 07-23-2009, 04:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
totfit

Can't give medical advice, but if you have already been three days, the worst is over. You would have been "acute" days 2 and 3. If you have Valium (diazapam), then you should know what dosage was prescribed for you. Really, you should start feeling better even without anything in the next day or so or even today you should. Drink a LOT of water and each a mix of lean protein and complex carbohydrates. Sugary stuff should be avoided in spite of what advice you are given to the contrary.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"And no replacement coping mechanisms."

AA meetings and the suport people there are available free of charge.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
problem with authority

I was still working through some general health issues well into my sobriety...high cholesterol, high blood pressure. I also let myself go with food and lack of exercise a bit...in hindsight I wish I had started on a regimen of cardiovascular exercise earlier, but in any event best to check with your doctor. I got a full checkup before and after stopping drinking.

I was a huge sweat-er while drinking, and it took a while for that to sort itself out.

M
Old 07-23-2009, 06:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Detoxing can be hell. Get to an ER room.

And, welcome to SR. I hope you stay with us.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

If you want to stay sober and learn how to improve your situation
get involved with your local AA.
That was the smartest thing I ever did

Welcome to SR....
Old 07-23-2009, 08:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Akula,

Eeeeek! Absolutely the best thing you can do is have medical supervision. At the very least, have 911 on speed dial.

If it were me, I'd call my local AA hotline and tell them what's going on. They may be able to lend you a friend for a couple of days to make sure you don't die. And then you can get hooked up with a great start to long term recovery.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Yep, gotta say go to the ER too. However, if you've been sober for three days, you're likely thru the most dangerous part of it.

I thought I had a lot of reasons to drink too, til I realized they were just excuses. A lot of people have hard stuff going on in their lives, not all of them drink.

AA, therapy, something.. I know I couldn't do it alone, my path was through one on one therapy and boy did I need it, and I sure still use the tools I learned.

Hang in there, go to the doc for advice.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm not going to a clinic, but

I did buy water and vitamins and will obtain anti-seizure pills. If it's really too dangerous, I'll have just one drink to calm symptoms and reduce risk/blood pressure. Tx.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

tread carefully my friend and god be with you.

a word of warning ive suffered seizures before beyond the 3 day mark..

keith suggested phone the aa helpline and ask if you could have a visit....sounds like sound advice to me.

really imo...you should be in hospital...or under medical supervision at the very least..

i understand in the real world it isnt possible sometimes...plus i dont understand the u.s medical system.

stay cool..........drink plenty of water.....rest plenty....no stress...

all helped me...........WITH MEDICAL SUPERVISION.

god bless you and protect you
Old 07-23-2009, 06:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
totfit

Originally Posted by akula View Post
I did buy water and vitamins and will obtain anti-seizure pills. If it's really too dangerous, I'll have just one drink to calm symptoms and reduce risk/blood pressure. Tx.
If you have Valium there is no reason in Hell to have just one drink to relieve the symptoms. Again, if you are over three days sober the worst should be over.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I hope this isn't perceived as medical advice, but since we are allowed to tell people to go to the ER- another option is calling or visiting a pharmacist and talking to him/her about safe use of medications.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

The DT's are bad stuff. I had flue like symptoms, hallucinations, lots of cold sweats and cramps. Like everyone has said, go see the Dr. because doing that detox deal on my own was shear hell. Get some medical help now.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

If I go to the doctor...

presumably an emergency room I may be locked up (I know someone this happened to) for an extended period of time ("danger to self") or too short a period of time. (And not getting sued is high on their agenda --- I won't exactly be at Eric Clapton's detox center for the stars for a month playing water volleyball.) I know an acquaintance who was let go early and nearly crashed driving home. Another was let go after three days and not having librium drove right to the liquor store. Especially lacking insurance I'd say "treatment" may not be friendly. Just what it takes to keep me alive and keep me off alcohol long enough to presumably no longer physcially crave it.

I know how it works --- locked up; then thrown out. I'll go if I need it.

The worst over? That would be great. Appreciation to those giving me good wishes and I'll probably rely on you guys for rehab soon.

Thanks.

P.S. Not out of the woods, but I'm not sure all could self-detox (w/out family & so on, too). 4 days --- even with diazapam (I obtained it for this on my own), I've been too tough on myself and, perhaps, deserve a little credit for once. It certainly helps. And not everyone does everything the same way. (As long as I have access to a phone if necessary and can dial 911...) Once again, tx.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Best of luck to you. I've been through it, too.
Do the right thing and don't drink no matter what, it'll only make things worse.
At least make a dr appointment and get some blood work done.
That's not medical advice, it's just what I did.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I started drinking again.... I asked my mother for help andshe gave none...

and no one cares, and my kids are in Asia with with the woman I divorced. No one cares. No one will miss me. So why should I care?

I did ask for help. It was not forthcoming. And I had successfully beat it ---- at least physically.

I tried. Emotional help and concern would have allowed me to succeed. I think.