Notices

the insanity of the drinking

Old 07-21-2009, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

the insanity of the drinking

Had to share this, just as an observation not a judgement...

Was sitting with a lady and her 'boyfriend' tonight before the AA meeting (both attend AA). Was sitting with another friend who knew them better than i do, only met them a couple of weeks ago.

I am talking to the lady, 'boyfriend' suddenly gets up and announces he is leaving and not going to the meeting. So the lady is upset obviously.

So we have gone through her life story which includes losing absolutely everything she has over the last 7 years, we are talking literally millions here! Had her own company turning over, well crazy figures with a sole contract with the 2 largest retailers in the UK! Turns out she just let it all go to **** because of the drink.

The last time she drank, 2 weeks ago, she was committed again, this time for just under a week. The police have instructions that if she is picked up drunk and disorderly she is to be taken straight to the mental hospital not jail!

So we spend about 30 minutes talking to her and everything is ok, not going to drink, wait till tomorrow and speak to 'boyfriend' then. So we hit the AA meeting, about 40 mins in i turn around and she has left, so i ask my friend at the end where has she gone, he answers to get a bottle of scotch.

Don't get me wrong i could go on one for weeks doing that but i could not help being left with my jaw on the floor after all that we talked about and the blatent consequences for her. Guess we will see her in a week or so?!

I love my AA meetings, i won't say what we talk about in there but there are ALOT of people in early recovery with shares that scare the **** out of me!

Anyway day 8 for me today, i'll pray for her, it's a real shame!
Old 07-21-2009, 03:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

anyway 8 days for me today!!!!!......anyway!!!

thats not an "anyway" bud thats a f@@@ing miracle......ha..well done.

in my experience ...you can load up the consequences on day long ...if im not listening im not listening.

bottoms were never about outside stuff for me........it was all about the bit between my ears...

if it was about outside stuff....my daughter would have stopped me drinking.... or eating out of bins would have stopped me...or threats from the docs would have sobered me up.

im chuffed your sober mate..........keep posting.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Actually Shaun you are right it is a miracle!

I've had some real luck in changing of circumstances outside my control, it would seem to most bad luck but it isn't for me at this stage. I feel a bit like a tortoise who has been stuck on his back for ages unable to roll himself over and someone has come along just passing and casually flipped me over...so now i am on my feet again totally disorientated looking around at which way to go...in a good way it you get me:-)

I didn't much like it on my back to am having a good look around;-)
Old 07-21-2009, 03:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Everyone in AA can teach me something... unfortunately some teach how NOT to be.

Count your blessings.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cliff,
Great work on 8 days mate, and I glad aa working for you mate, its the only thing thats worked for me. Im 86 days today and could never have imagined a life without the drink. AA has shown me that life.
Keep well