Notices

And away we go.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

And away we go.

I have been reading postings and I figured that trying to clean up alone isn't working.
30 years ago there was this shy kid who found a "magic" drink that would make him more outgoing and less self-concious. It worked for awhile but then at some point the "magic" friend became the enemy. For all that alcohol had seemed to promise there would be a steep price to pay later on.
I've seen rehab, DUI's, fights, divorce, things that are not uncommon to those who drink too much. I have attained sobriety in the past. 7 months here, 6 months there, even going two full years after rehab before letting my guard down.
I have always drank to drink it all(ain't no leavin', till I'm heavin') but in the past my binges were spaced apart with various periods of time. Lately the time periods have gotten much shorter and the amounts are escalating.
I intend to stay active on this forum and appreciate all of the knowledge and support that is shown here.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, I made the same discovery 47 years ago. Sailed out to sea and felloff the face of the earth. Should have read the map: "Here they be Sea Monsters". Look foward to your posts and learning from you. Speak about a voyage of discovery: No matter how far out on the sea of suffering we've sailed,
all that is required is to turn toward awakening.
It's never too late, but it takes that turning, and no one can do that for us.-- Bonnie Myotai Treace

Namste
Old 07-20-2009, 09:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
mergirl

Welcome!
Old 07-20-2009, 11:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Fighton - alcohol did that for me, took away the shyness, but in the end took away alot more. I really enjoyed reading your post.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, FightOn! SR is a great place! Stick around!

Love,

Lenina
Old 07-21-2009, 12:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome again FightOn - glad you followed through

Hope to see you around
D
Old 07-21-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the responses. I got out of work early this morning, took a quick power nap and now the real job begins. I do not have to be back to work until Saturday. This is when staying sober gets difficult for me as I do not drink on days I work due to my schedule. It is my free time that gives me issues. I've read a number of posts about tips to stay occupied and I have a number of meetings available in my area. I am not a big meeting guy, but I am not taking any option off of the table. If I post too often or ramble on this week, I apologize in advance. Again, thanx for the responses. It is why I chose this site over other ones.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well, we're a bunch of rambling posters that's for sure. Ramble and post away if that helps keep you sober. I can always skip over or whatever. Sometimes I'd like to do that in AA when someone goes 20 minutes on a story I hadn't heard since last week. Oh well, its all good. All my best toyou. Keep posing and keep sobering.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR....it has really helped me to get ahold of my 30 year problem.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by FightOn View Post
30 years ago there was this shy kid who found a "magic" drink that would make him more outgoing and less self-concious. It worked for awhile but then at some point the "magic" friend became the enemy.
I can relate, a beer made me think I was Superman and bulletproof! But now I'm just an alcoholic, my name is Scott

Originally Posted by FightOn View Post
I've seen rehab, DUI's, fights, divorce, things that are not uncommon to those who drink too much.
Yep, I've been divorced twice, been to a mental hospital, these are things I can relate to. It's helpful to hear the similarities rather than the differences.

Welcome home.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Looking forward to reading your posts!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Resident

Glad you are back here fighton.

When I quit drinking I cam here everyday for hours at a time as you can see by my rather high post count.
It was my support system then and still is since I also do not like meetings or any other type of structured activity.
It worked for me and will work for you so if you get bored on your time off please do come here and post and read. I think it can work for a lot of people.
I want to add that if it wasn't working for me I would become a meeting kind of person.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm glad you decided to join us......
Welcome to our recovery community.

You might want to speak with your doctor about how to
be both sober and safe. De toxing is dangerous
even if you have before....this time could be risky.

Please check out this link for info...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 07-21-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great post, FightOn, and I think you can see that many of us share similar stories. Mine began 20-plus years ago in much the same way. Didn't drink every day, but it was my weekend recreation and I drank to feel intoxicated. It eventually seeped into my workweek evenings, and it took me too long to address it. But better late than never.

Congratulations on finding SR and I hope you post often.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you Carol for the welcome and the advice. As fate, or luck, would have it, I just changed doctors two weeks ago and had a complete physical with bloodwork. Everything(cholesterol, liver function, etc.) all checked out in the normal range. The only thing that I can possibly credit for still having some level of health is that for about the last 15 years I have been a gym rat. I haven't been totally committed to the cause otherwise I'd I'd be on Pumping Iron Recovery.com but I have managed to stay very particular regarding my diet.

to all for being here.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

Welcome again FightOn, glad you made it