Notices

This doesnt count right....

Old 07-20-2009, 09:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This doesnt count right....

I was at my in laws cabin on the weekend. Hubby and I had some NA beer in the fridge and I didnt even see any regular beer in the fridge (which is rare in these parts) so I thought maybe no one else was drinking. Happily drinking my NA beer in the hot sun on the back deck I went to take a swig and all of a sudden my NA beer tasted like someone had poured vodka in it.

It was seriously gross and I had to stop and think... did someone put Vodka in my drink? Why does my typically delicious NA beer taste like crap all of a sudden.

Then I realised I was drinking my Mother in Laws drink by accident. I only had a sip and I didnt know it was real beer.

I felt like a kid who tried beer for the first time... it was gross and I much prefer the NA beer.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Resident grateful guy!

Unintentional and you didn't get drunk. I think you're safe.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Just my personal experience, that's one of the reasons I stay away from NA drinks and we debate this often on SR. It still contains a small percentage of alcohol, and there's no reason for me to be drinking "pseudo" forms of what I'm in recovery from. For this alcoholic, it's just denial.

When anyone I'm with is drinking an alcoholic beverage, the safest thing I can do is get a soft drink and keep it in my hand. That way I know it's mine, there won't be any mistakes or accidents.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Heathen

I would (personally) be more concerned about the NA beer than the accidental sip of stronger stuff.

But that's just me. I stay away from all beer, now that I don't drink alcohol anymore. I'll never confuse someone's beer with my grape crush.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident grateful guy!

Originally Posted by Astro View Post
Just my personal experience, that's one of the reasons I stay away from NA drinks and we debate this often on SR. It still contains a small percentage of alcohol, and there's no reason for me to be drinking "pseudo" forms of what I'm in recovery from. For this alcoholic, it's just denial.

When anyone I'm with is drinking an alcoholic beverage, the safest thing I can do is get a soft drink and keep it in my hand. That way I know it's mine, there won't be any mistakes or accidents.
Agreed.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My opinion...

No, it does not count, but I'll add that if you were a sponsee of mine I'd say, "it doesn't count as long as you don't drink NA beer anymore".

No more NA beer... that way there's no chance of it ever happening again, right?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety in technicolor

Originally Posted by smacked View Post
I would (personally) be more concerned about the NA beer than the accidental sip of stronger stuff.

But that's just me. I stay away from all beer, now that I don't drink alcohol anymore. I'll never confuse someone's beer with my grape crush.
NA beer was the bridge that led me back to drinking regular beer. Maybe I was romancing and staying in denial... maybe the allergy of the body was triggered by minute amount of alcohol in it. Who knows? All I know is I am doing this thing FULL ON, no rule bending - and no room for mistakes like this.

Today I dont even use mouthwash with alcohol. It's about complete surrender. I don't count your slip as failure, but I encourange you to investigate your motives for drinking the NA.

Cheers!
S
Old 07-20-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety in technicolor

I will add..... What does your sponser say?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
mergirl

I don't count it, and if I liked the taste of NA beer I would drink it. And I don't have a sponsor. And I still use vanilla extract and mouthwash.

If its not broken, don't fix it.
Old 07-20-2009, 04:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't think accidental sips count.
But I'm like Astro - I stick to the soft drinks...as a beer drinker
it makes more sense to me that way.

D
Old 08-06-2009, 08:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
On the path to self discovery

I dont count it, and I dont do AA btw.

I had an NA beer tonight, it tastes like beer, I like/liked beer.

However, I drank half and poured the rest out. It might of been in my mind, but I thought I was getting buzzed, which is not something I want to do anymore.

Feeling like I was getting buzzed totally freaked me out. If Im at a party and feel the urge I might try another one, but if it makes me feel buzzed again Im dumping it.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gypsy Feet View Post
I don't count it, and if I liked the taste of NA beer I would drink it. And I don't have a sponsor. And I still use vanilla extract and mouthwash.

If its not broken, don't fix it.
I used to drink vanilla extract AND mouthwash if I ran out of alcohol. I guess I was broken. I don't knowingly consume ANYTHING that contains alcohol.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Red face

Non-Alcoholic beer>na beer for non-alcoholics.