Notices

Is it possible for an alcoholic like myself...

Old 07-19-2009, 05:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it possible for an alcoholic like myself...

Hi just thought ide try and find myself some help from the comfort of my home.

I've been a heavy drinker since 15 years of age. I am now 22 and the longest ive been sober for since i started drinking at 15 was 11 full days.

I am beginning to notice the adverse affects of my problem physically and mentally.

What I want to know is, if its possible for someone like me to be able to have a drink and enjoy myself without actually getting drunk, just having a few once a week?

Or.. do i just have to give it up altogether
Old 07-19-2009, 06:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I began to drink at age 16 and at age 19 quit cause i was pregnant...but...i didn't know i had a problem so I drank about a year later "moderately" and was in full swing in a couple of months....I don't know if you can or not....I just know that for me the moderate stopped working at a very young age if it ever worked at all...looking back i don't actually think I ever moderated unless outside circumstances forced me to...then eventually those circumstances didn't stop me any more.

It's alot to think about....read some posts and take a serious look at your past and see what you think.

Glad you came here to see what you could learn.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you are an alcoholic, you cannot control your drinking.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease, so unless you stop, it will get worse.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is something you'll have to find out for yourself.

When I first quit drinking 2 years ago I planned on quitting for a year, and then trying to drink moderately after that year was over. Well, it started out good. I'd have a beer now and then, and everything was fine. But then I started to tell myself, "you did just fine last time, maybe this time you can have 3 or 4". It started to spiral downward from there. Before I knew it I was back to a liter of vodka every day or so. I think you'll find that this is a pretty common story around here. I have now been completely sober for almost 8 months.

For me, I never saw the point of moderation drinking. From the day I started drinking at the age of 17, I went full bore - balls to the wall. I drank until I got drunk and passed out/blacked out. I don't think I'll ever change my attitude on that. But, that's just me.

Let us know how things are working out for you.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
I began to drink at age 16 and at age 19 quit cause i was pregnant...but...i didn't know i had a problem so I drank about a year later "moderately" and was in full swing in a couple of months....I don't know if you can or not....I just know that for me the moderate stopped working at a very young age if it ever worked at all...looking back i don't actually think I ever moderated unless outside circumstances forced me to...then eventually those circumstances didn't stop me any more.

It's alot to think about....read some posts and take a serious look at your past and see what you think.

Glad you came here to see what you could learn.
thanks

Originally Posted by 51anna View Post
If you are an alcoholic, you cannot control your drinking.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease, so unless you stop, it will get worse.
this is what i feared.. so i guess i have to give up completely..

Originally Posted by ruletheworld View Post
This is something you'll have to find out for yourself.

When I first quit drinking 2 years ago I planned on quitting for a year, and then trying to drink moderately after that year was over. Well, it started out good. I'd have a beer now and then, and everything was fine. But then I started to tell myself, "you did just fine last time, maybe this time you can have 3 or 4". It started to spiral downward from there. Before I knew it I was back to a liter of vodka every day or so. I think you'll find that this is a pretty common story around here. I have now been completely sober for almost 8 months.

For me, I never saw the point of moderation drinking. From the day I started drinking at the age of 17, I went full bore - balls to the wall. I drank until I got drunk and passed out/blacked out. I don't think I'll ever change my attitude on that. But, that's just me.

Let us know how things are working out for you.
ive been goin pedal to the metal since also.. and i also never saw the point in not drinking to get drunk but im hoping i can. ya know just as a social thing and to enjoy the taste.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

"What I want to know is, if its possible for someone like me to be able to have a drink and enjoy myself without actually getting drunk, just having a few once a week?"

Maybe start by quitting for 30 days?
Old 07-19-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
"What I want to know is, if its possible for someone like me to be able to have a drink and enjoy myself without actually getting drunk, just having a few once a week?"

Maybe start by quitting for 30 days?
i think it was february when i tried to beat my old record of 9 days and made it to 11 and it was no easy task for me. I think its harder as well cos i live with a full blown alcohol and my friends always want to drink with me. I am going to attempt 14 days though.

wish me luck! lol
Old 07-19-2009, 07:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey man, i can relate to a lot of what your saying and also what ruletheworld says. From day 1 at the age of 14 I went pedal-to-the-metal with drinking. There is no off switch for me when drinking, If left to my own will then I will only stop drinking when I am unconscious. Upon waking from that, the first thing that will cross my mind is "Man I need a drink" , if there is any left I will have one, no questions asked. I will then set my addicted mind off and have no choice but to go out and buy enough to get me nicely wasted again otherwise I will be feeling generally moody, P*ssed-off untill the alcohol is totally out of my system and the craving for more stops.

I used to try moderating by trying to ride the cravings out. But it is impossible as once I am under the influence I ain't thinking rationally and the booze has got me by the B*llocks, plain and simple. I go from someone who passes a medical with flying colours and praise from the doctor to someone who anyone would class as someone who is an alcoholic. Jekyl and Hyde if you like.

I don't know about you but do you actually ever want to only drink 2 drinks? I know id rather drink a pint of coca-cola than put myself through the torture of hitting a slight alcohol buzz and then stopping. I also LOVE the taste of many of my preffered alcoholic beverages so for me alcohol is dangerous on two fold - the effect of the drug and the pleasure of method of consumption. The obly other drug I found remotely similar on any level to that is Cocaine, no comparison for me really though, booze everytime (well both if being greedy!(haha)

I am 23 btw and can appreciate how difficult the thought of stopping drinking booze seems completely as it is everywhere in which most social events take place, but I do not like what I become when I drink and so I have came to the conclusion that drinking simply cannot be an option for me.

Judging by what you have written it sounds like the best thing for you (in the long-run) would be to try and get your head around total sobriety. You remind me of myself in many ways.
Why not check out a few AA meetings? I have my up's and downs at times with AA but I know that if being in a room full of other alcoholics helps me stay sober then I am willing to do that.
I think the secret for me is to try to see the alcoholic buzz for what it is; FAKE. I remeber saying to my mother when I had just crashed down off a massive heavy binge when I was in a bad way twitching and shaking and she said to me that " need help". My response was but how am I ever gonna get the euphoria? I am learning that overall my happiness and peace of mind in sobriety is greater in reality than the fleeting, Fake euphoria of my binges. Easy to say difficult to practice mindyou.

All the Best mate and glad you have joined SR.

Peace.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Rockstar

You remind me of myself in my 20's. I was in rehab by the time I was 25 because drinking and pills quickly led me to the path of destruction. However im 37 now and have 'learned' (wrong word I know) moderation so am able to stick to a few nights drinking. A good experiment is to see if you feel as good without it as you do with it. Good to 'meet' you
Old 07-19-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family! You will find a lot of wisdom and support here.

You've gotten some great responses so far. I can relate to all the responses. I tried to manage my drinking instead of abstaining from drinking. I think for most of us that are addicted, our greatest fear is living without the DOC for the rest of our life. After all, alcohol was like my security blanket. It was there to comfort me, soothe me, humor me, and helped me celebrate joyous occasions. I couldn't imagine my life without alcohol.

With support from friends at SR, some local AA and Al Anon meetings, and lots of reading; I have learned about my addiction, learned new coping skills and learned to face my greatest fear: myself sober. It is worth the struggle to overcome the addiction and look myself in the mirror each morning and feel good about starting another day.

One of the books that helped me understand why I couldn't stop at just an occasional drink was "Under the Influence" and the later version "Beyond the Influence". It helped me understand how I had become addicted body, mind and soul to alcohol. That's why I couldn't stop. My body needed the next drink. There are excerpts from UTI here on our alcoholism forum:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Stick around. Read and post as much as you need.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Resident

I wish I would have seriously tried moderation before my wife gave me an ultimatum to quit or get out.
I told her I was trying to moderate but never really did. Just tried enough occasionally to keep her off my case.
Now I have no choice but to quit entirely and to be honest so far I prefer it that way. No wondering, no hangovers and money in my pockets.
I say if you want to try moderation give it an honest try and don't lie to yourself. If it doesn't turn out like you planned be prepared to go to the next step.
Good luck.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hope3

I think you need to determeine if you are alcoholic or not

before you or anyone can answer if you can moderately drink...

Pelican suggested this link, I do as well...I read the bbok and it helped me uder stand alcoholism better...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Best wishes, Hoep3
Old 07-19-2009, 03:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

What I want to know is, if its possible for someone like me to be able to have a drink and enjoy myself without actually getting drunk, just having a few once a week?
I only know it's not possible for me.
I agree with Anna, but good luck with your 2 weeks plan, bloodnbonE

D
Old 07-20-2009, 12:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Welcome to the SR family! You will find a lot of wisdom and support here.

You've gotten some great responses so far. I can relate to all the responses. I tried to manage my drinking instead of abstaining from drinking. I think for most of us that are addicted, our greatest fear is living without the DOC for the rest of our life After all, alcohol was like my security blanket. It was there to comfort me, soothe me, humor me, and helped me celebrate joyous occasions. I couldn't imagine my life without alcohol.

With support from friends at SR, some local AA and Al Anon meetings, and lots of reading; I have learned about my addiction, learned new coping skills and learned to face my greatest fear: myself sober. It is worth the struggle to overcome the addiction and look myself in the mirror each morning and feel good about starting another day.

One of the books that helped me understand why I couldn't stop at just an occasional drink was "Under the Influence" and the later version "Beyond the Influence". It helped me understand how I had become addicted body, mind and soul to alcohol. That's why I couldn't stop. My body needed the next drink. There are excerpts from UTI here on our alcoholism forum
Stick around. Read and post as much as you need.
you when you were younger do remind me of me very much unfortunately haha.

I was ordered by the courts to go to a.a when i was younger but it was too easy to lie my way out of it and i didnt want to go myself back then. However now i am seriously thinking about going to a.a. its one on one here though and im not entirely sure if its that effective.

i will definately check out some of those excerpts. thanks =)

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
I wish I would have seriously tried moderation before my wife gave me an ultimatum to quit or get out.
I told her I was trying to moderate but never really did. Just tried enough occasionally to keep her off my case.
Now I have no choice but to quit entirely and to be honest so far I prefer it that way. No wondering, no hangovers and money in my pockets.
I say if you want to try moderation give it an honest try and don't lie to yourself. If it doesn't turn out like you planned be prepared to go to the next step.
Good luck.
i kinda got the ultimatum from my ex myself but including my drinking among other reasons we are no longer together and its fortunately something i am thankful for now.

as for the drinking in moderation i will give it a try but i have a strong feeling its not something i will be able to do. thanks for posting

Originally Posted by hope3 View Post

Pelican suggested this link, I do as well...I read the bbok and it helped me uder stand alcoholism better...

Best wishes, Hoep3
im pretty sure i am but ima definately read up as much as i can. thank you.

edit: i just had to edit out the sites because it wouldnt let me quote untill i have 15 posts
Old 07-20-2009, 12:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I only know it's not possible for me.
I agree with Anna, but good luck with your 2 weeks plan, bloodnbonE

D
thanks
Old 07-20-2009, 01:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

When I was a drinker....I only dated and hung out with drinkers.
When I decided to quit....I found new sober friends in AA.

Welcome to SR
Old 07-20-2009, 01:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Im 24 and i felt the same way you did....your not alone!!!!

welcome!
Old 07-20-2009, 02:04 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I used to think that way when I first started being sober and thought to myself ok maybe a couple won't hurt and would think I might be able to control the drinking. I never had that drink though and am glad I didn't. I wouldn't of made it this far sober if I did. And to be honest I don't think it's worth it, yeah some people may be able to have that social drink but for recoverying alcoholics it's just not worth it.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hope3 View Post

Edited out site here

Best wishes, Hoep3
i read the excerpts and from what ive read i am past being a middle stage alcoholic. eek

Originally Posted by Phaleron View Post
It seems like you've already tried and failed at alcohol moderation. When i was your age I was just starting out on the path to destruction.

I would try moderation after you've given yourself six months of sobriety. You're operating within the fog of alcohol at the moment. Six months of sobriety will give your body and mind the time required to heal themselves. You'll be able to make a better decision regarding moderation with a sober/healthy mind.

Welcome to SR, BB.
i think maybe i have tried i guess you are right. 6 months will really be something. im going for 14 days at least at the moment though. i know it doesnt sound impressive in the slightest but its alot for me.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, for a lot of us one is too many. I hope that you find what you are looking for.

Originally Posted by BloodnbonE View Post
ive been goin pedal to the metal since also.. and i also never saw the point in not drinking to get drunk but im hoping i can. ya know just as a social thing and to enjoy the taste.
I never drank for the taste I might have told myself that to continue to feed myself with thoughts of "I know I can drink if I moderate" ... "I drink for the taste not the buzz"

The lies we tell ourselves... pretty scary.

You seem like a nice guy who is sincerely looking for help & openly admitting you have a problem. I look forward to seeing you work through your recovery.

Take Care,

NB