Notices

how long will this last?

Old 07-18-2009, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy how long will this last?

this is my second day without the pills - the ritalin. i cant keep my eyes open. the tremors, weakness and sickness will not go away. this binge has left me near paralyzed and i need to see some light at the end of the tunnel. it is this that makes me want to keep using. i dont want to go through this pain. how long will this last? what can i do to make this slightly more bearable? thank you for your support. it means the world to me. maybe with a little nudge from friends i can make it. <3
Old 07-18-2009, 09:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

OK..first off...call a doctor and tell him/her what is going on. They can give you very good guidance.

Read the sticky on the forums on what to expect.

post post and read read read

As horrid as the withdrawal may be and however long it lasts...once it is over it is over and you don't ever have to go through that again if you find and follow the path of sobriety (there are many)

But for now just focus on getting through. For me I found it necessary to have some face to face assistance in getting tthough the physical part of that first few days....Mom came and watched over me for a few days to get over the hump...once i went to the emergency room and was in a hospital cared for, and once i went to a treatment center.

Do what ever it takes to get through the next few weeks..

Its worth it!

Glad you are here and posted (hug)
Old 07-18-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you posted, friend. I was in the same shape on December 25 2008. It is going to get better. Your symptoms will resolve into plain tiredness in a day or so. That will last a while. Call a doctor if you're worried.

Have you thought of going to a meeting? I needed to be around people. I was desperate. You might have the inability to feel happy for quite a while...but eventually you'll get your smile and your hope back. Trust me.

Please don't use again, whatever you do. You can be free. How old are you?
Old 07-18-2009, 11:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I have never used ritalin, but I believe your clean state can last as long as you make it last.

Please add some activities and recovery meetings to your life so that something changes to replace the using.

Remember that AA & NA groups are comprised of PEOPLE not just concepts, and the PEOPLE there want to help you recover.

Keep coming back. NUDGE, SHOVE, KICK, POUND...
Old 07-18-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

My DOC was not pills, I am an alcoholic, what I can share is that life is awesome clean and sober, I can share that I know that AA worked for me and millions of others, NA is based upon AA but for addicts and I know some great folks with years of clean time thanks to NA.

Check out NA, AA or other recovery programs, it is far easier to travel the path with others then to try it alone, simply posting here is your inner self telling you that you are not alone.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm an alcoholic too lifeline so I haven't any experience to offer. Hang in there tho.
Do see a dr if you have any medical questions.

If you haven't seen it already, you may also be interested in our Substance Abuse forum, lifeline

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 07-18-2009, 03:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey lifeline!

I'm your guy for Ritalin questions. While I consider myself an alcoholic and that is what I am seeking recovery for, I was dependent on Ritalin for quite some time. I may have been using it for the right reasons for years, but the last 2-3 years, well... I was using it for lots of wrong reasons. And the Ritalin, I think, brought out my alcoholism big time.

OK - can't give any advice here, so I won't.

Technically there is not supposed to be any particularly heinous physical withdrawal symptoms from Ritalin... Certainly there are heinous physical consequences if you take too much... can't tell from your post, but you mentioned a binge... so maybe some of what you are feeling is from that. If your symptoms are scaring you... seek medical attention, ER, whatever... please.

OK... Psychologically, stopping Ritalin if you've taken large amounts for a long time, well,.... it sucks.... No way round it... but there are a few things you can do....

Take care of yourself, eat right, get some exercise, sleep... Don't take other drugs or use alcohol... That's not medical advice, just common sense...

I'll be happy to give you my experience with Ritalin. My last dose was about one year ago. I don't miss it, well, I rarely miss it... I stopped it on my own, but it took a couple of tries... and ultimately I ended up in rehab... alcohol was my problem, I'd been off the ritalin more than a month...long story... (You can read about it in Sept when I reach a year and can post my story in the stories section....)

But tell us more... Are you drinking? Any other pills, weed, whatever....If you are sincere about getting recovered, you can. If you want, you can PM me... or post here...whatever.

Hang in there

Mark
Old 07-18-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

jackc, i'm 28, just graduated college, and have a healthy family. to some it seems strange that i shouldn't be completely satisfied with my life. if only they knew it's not my choice to have this disease.
Old 07-18-2009, 03:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lifeline24 View Post

to some it seems strange that i shouldn't be completely satisfied with my life
Um... yea.

Me too, people that know me have a hard time believing it... But that's part of the mystery of drug and alcohol dependence. Stimulants can be really perplexing... you get used to that dopamine rush and after that everything seems pale in comparison.

So, is Ritalin the only mind altering substance you used?

Mark
Old 07-18-2009, 04:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cubile75 View Post
you get used to that dopamine rush and after that everything seems pale in comparison.

Mark
wow- we're totally on the same wavelength. i will do anything for that rush. it doesnt matter what other side effects it gives me, or how crappy i feel otherwise. it overcomes everything. i've always smoked weed too, but i could do without if it needed to. i just prefer not to. to me it's just like a glass of wine in the evening (to those that are not alcoholics) that people have with dinner to relax, or having a cigarette. so the weed isn't even an issue. but i am always seeking a speedy feeling. years ago it was meth, then it was adderall for a while, but nothing has taken control of me like this ritalin has. i would have thought that was the weakest of all the substances. i love feeling excited, awake, motivated, interested, alive, alert, etc..... i try to find other things to fulfill my needs but nothing can equate to it. i get the prescription once a month, and i'm prescribed the maximum dosage. within a week i'm out (which tells you i'm taking 4x the dosage) and then i'm in hell for 3 weeks. i tell myself next time i'll take them like i'm supposed to but yeah right. it keeps getting worse and worse.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yea-I get it alright....

I am older than you, 51, I took ritalin for years and years. Had it under control for a long time, then something clicked, and wham, no control, I'd use what I had until they were gone... When I finally decided to quit, both times, I didn't even try to taper, that wasn't gonna happen... I just ran out and, finally, didn't get more.

I always loved stimulants, since back in high school... I really believe that I had some ADHD characteristics, well, back in school, a lot.... But that became a justification and then later on, when I knew I was hooked, I just took it. More and more... I drank lots and lots of alcohol, because, well, with the stimulant.... I could!!!

i would have thought that was the weakest of all the substances.
It is not as potent, but you can fix that with higher doses

i love feeling excited, awake, motivated, interested, alive, alert,
Oh yea, we are on the same wavelength. I knew I had to stop it though because it was driving my alcohol consumption and causing some rather bizarre behavior... Go figure, when I stopped the ritalin, I just started drinking more... ummm.

Anyway, I am a year out on stopping the ritain.... I don't think it took too long to be able to get happy, alive, alert.... but it is a real happy, alive and alert... and no, things aren't quite as exciting, but you know, it's OK... I'm just fine thank you.

Stop the ritalin lifeline... I got worse and worse, and circumstances were that I had an unregulated supply and easily took way over a reasonable dose... and there was no end in sight.

Welcome to SR... Keep posting. You are not alone.

Mark
Old 07-18-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Lifeline,

I am so glad that you are seeking support.
Old 07-18-2009, 10:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Lifeline - Sounds like you have the right attitude. I am 24 and am coming up on 7 months clean from stims. It CAN be done. Just don't isolate yourself. Have you thought of going to meetings?

I did the EXACT same thing as you...I took a months worth in a week or less and then had to endure three weeks of hell. It's no way to live. The hopelessness is almost enough to kill you!

Jack