Alanon or alateen

Old 07-17-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alanon or alateen

Hi Everyone,

My ah has been in relapse for awhile now, and just recently lost his job due to his addiction. I've asked my son to attend meetings because his dad's drinking has affected him profoundly. He agreed to attend an alanon meeting with me next week. He is only 20, and I was wondering if he might feel more comfortable with the younger people in alateen. Are the kids in alateen younger kids or do young adults also attend those meetings. Thoughts...
Old 07-17-2009, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Why not try both? And you might want to sit in on an open AA meeting too, over the years I've come to know quite a few Al-Anon's and their children from them coming into the AA meetings I attend.

I thinnk you'll find a wide range of age groups at all meetings. My own experience with Al-Anon is that we had people in their late teens who were regulars. Honestly, I think he'd fit in at either one.

Another program you might check out: FA Home

I hope you find SR and 12-Step programs to be a source of comfort. Welcome!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Astro,

I used to be a regular at alanon many years ago. My husband found sobriety at that time and remained sober for about 15 years. I guess I got comfortable that things were going well.
Then one day... I noticed my husband's behavior and kind of thought is he drinking again. At first I dismissed the thought and then saw it again and again. I finally confronted him and he didn't lie but the drinking contined. Since that day ... I guess I was hoping it would be a temporary relapse. Now a crises has occured due to the progression of his drinking.
I've been lurking on these boards, and found there are some healthy people who give a lot of healthy advice. In the past I attended a few open AA meetings and found them to be very welcoming. I'll suggest to my son to try both that's a good idea and he can decide where he feels the most comfortable.
I struggle with my codependency. My husband is now saying he wants sobriety again, don't leave me baby..... quack, quack.
Old 07-17-2009, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by serinityprayer View Post
My husband is now saying he wants sobriety again, don't leave me baby..... quack, quack.
Yep, I knew how to do that very well!

Best wishes to you and your son in recovery. I hope you both find some peace in your lives.