Notices

Finally made it to a meeting!

Old 07-16-2009, 01:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Finally made it to a meeting!

Just wanted to share with everyone that I finally made it to a Face to face AA meeting. It's been great sharing on here but I really needed that upfront sharing, ya know?

Update from my last post:

I shared about how I live with my boyfriend who is also alcoholic and still drinks and how I've been dealing with that. (Not too good.) Well, so far I haven't had to worry about it. He has his good moments and now is one of them. But I have learned that I need to take care of myself and my sobriety. So when the time comes, I know what to do now.

I'm also glad to now have SR to refer to also when I need someone. I'm glad to know that help is also a message away. Thanks to all that has given advice. It's helped me restore my courage and strength!

PS. I didn't share with you all last time that my dad is also in recovery. He was at the meeting that I went to today. You know, when I first started going to meetings, I thought that having my dad around was going to make it harder to share, but it's actually a really good thing. And who better to help then him who has experience.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Now that's what I like to hear! As years have passed for me in recovery, I've come to love meetings. I go to hear the message and the similarities, but I also go to hear the laughter and happiness, as well as the cries for help. That's the "music" of AA to my ears.

My ex's stepfather has many years in the program. I don't see him at meetings too often, but he's been very instrumental in my sobriety. I'm glad to hear your father is in the program and supports you.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Way to go! I also attend f2f AA meetings but I'm a real introvert and I find it difficult but what I find difficult is usually what I most need to do. I found drinking not difficult at all. Keep attending and keep posting and I'll do the same.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Just got back from one and I feel GREAT! Keep going! I finally made the right choice! Congratulations!
Old 07-16-2009, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Contrats on making it out to the meeting Thats great that you are able to share your recovery with you Father.

Take Care,

NB
Old 07-16-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Yes!
Old 07-16-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Real good to hear you are moving in the right direction. I know It must have been dificult having your dad at your first meeting but the hardest is behind you now!

Glad BF is behaving! Gives you a chance to move forward without a big disteaction.
Keep It up you are doing good!--You go girl!!
Old 07-16-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great to hear!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

Thanks for all the replies! I'm feeling better everyday! And I went to another meeting last night after I wrote this message. Even though it was a different crowd than I'm used to I still found it helpful. I'm really shy around people I don't know and even more scared to share.

Today I went back to the same meeting place I usually go to. It was great to see all the people I'm used to sharing with. I decided that I am in need of as many meetings as I can find right now. Plus it's the weekend again and I'm anticipating the BF problems to start soon. He doesn't normally last too long.

But I'm not gonna worry about it. I have plans to be out and about and going to meetings I've been hearing about that I haven't been to before. And I got a list of meetings in the area now to refer to. I also need to just take a bus or walk somewhere and spend time away from the situation. Clear my head.

I should be fine. I'll keep coming back and sharing! Thanks again for listening! I'll read your responses soon!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm glad to hear you're having a good experience. As we say in AA, "don't leave 5 minutes before the miracle happens"

Or, from the Big Book:

To watch people recover, to see them help others, to watch loneliness vanish, to see a fellowship grow up about you, to have a host of friends-this is an experience you must not miss. We know you will not want to miss it. Frequent contact with newcomers and with each other is the bright spot of our lives.

(Big Book quote from the 1st edition of Alcoholics Anonymous)
Old 07-17-2009, 02:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your last post sounds like GREAT advice- Do It..................

" I decided that I am in need of as many meetings as I can find right now"
Old 07-17-2009, 09:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You really are making progress.....Congratulations!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

So glad you are making meetings for yourself and not worrying about the bf.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

good stuff heaja13! that first meeting is killer, but you made it. keep going and keep pushing forward. congratulations!

bh