Notices

Detox Needed - Financial Assistance

Old 07-15-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Detox Needed - Financial Assistance

Many newcomers post here who desparately need medical supervision to help them through detox.

Although one of the greatest obstacles most face is a feeling of shame/embarrassment, there's another that I see come up way too often....

Cost. What options do people have who don't have insurance? Who don't qualify for medicaid? Who, perhaps, don't have a doctor?

I've been blessed enough not to have been in this situation (yet), but I thought it might be a good idea to start this thread for those who are so they might be able to figure out somewhere to turn.

Does anyone have advice here? Please share what's worked and, conversely, what hasn't...

Thanks a million,

Liz
Old 07-15-2009, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

liz

does this website have a fund that members can donate to in order to help with extreme
detox situations, or situations that are approved by a board. i don't know, over 50,000 members, it seems like quite the fund could be set up for emergency assistance. often times states have inexpensive or even free detox help, but the basics such as transportation, paperwork, general advocacy, are limited. again, it seems like a giant network of individuals from all over could really play a role in these situations. anyway, just a suggestion (leave me out of it...i'm to busy getting sober ) ha ha! i'm kidding. good topic liz

bh
Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

When a person reports to the emergency room for emergency detox it is often provided free of charge.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

is that just monitoring the withdrawals? a few years back i spent time in a state funded detox, and it included group discussion, short counseling sessions, and etc... there was a small charge, so the biggest issue was getting to it. it was an hour away and i was in no condition to drive. i also wasn't bad enough off to go to the emergency room. i don't know, i guess i'm thinking along those lines. thanks tommyk

bh
Old 07-15-2009, 08:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
When a person reports to the emergency room for emergency detox it is often provided free of charge.
Assuming you're not totally making that up , I believe that will vary from place to place. It sure as heck isn't true where I live.

BUT - we do have public county detox centers available that are very reasonable. They are pretty much a medical version of the county drunk tank, though you don't have to get arrested to go, heh.

I can't remember the exact rate the last time I was there, it was a few years ago, but I know for sure it was less than $100 per night. Not cheap for some, but much less than a hospital stay.

My advice would be for anyone to check with their local county public services. Folks don't have to qualify for medicaid or other public programs in order to get certain forms of assistance. There are all sorts of different services available at the local level that most people don't know about.

And even if there isn't any form of public services available in your area the local county is going to know of alternatives as well.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heathen

The Salvation Army has free rehab programs all over the world.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

The best place to start in any community is the County Hospital where the 'indigent' go, they can usually help or do a referral for you.

The next step if above did not or could not help is call your County Health Department.

Then your State Health Department.

Then the Salvation Army, as they may be able to refer you to a detox. Their program is for those that are already detoxed.

Also, come on here and ask about your area, we have folks from all over the world on here, and they may know of a place in your area, know how to find a place in your area, or steer you in the right direction.

If, one is lucky enough to get here early enough in their addiction, that they still have insurance and see a Dr occasionally then BY ALL MEANS contact your Dr and be HONEST with your Dr. Doctors can help tremendously, if we are HONEST with them from the get go.

As I continue to work with alkie/addicts I have a list for my area that I have compiled and keep it handy, never knowing when I might have to transport someone to detox or ER (know which ER to go to, lol) etc, what on going rehabs are in the area, (for after care) etc

Have done this in every area I have lived in since my recovery started.

Also there is so much information on the net now that it too has become a 'tool' to finding a detox.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 07-15-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Heathen

Yep, sorry.. SA for rehab.. ER for detox. No emergency room can deny someone in need of care due to inability to pay.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, these are all great ideas/responses... exactly what i was hoping for. Keep 'em coming.

Laurie, I love the step by step suggestions.

You mentioned the internent -- I just came across this site:

4 Drug Rehab - Treatment Center and Alcohol Rehab Directory

It has links to all sorts of rehab centers by state -- a few listing payment assistance. I'd guess calling them individually would be a good bet for most to find out what's available.

NOTE: I think what's mostly been posted so far refers to the U.S. If anyone knows of what steps to take elswhere, please post those suggestions as well! Thanks.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If I remember right, this site does not allow fund raisers. I haven't read the rules in a while so I may be wrong.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
If I remember right, this site does not allow fund raisers. I haven't read the rules in a while so I may be wrong.
Thanks, Least. The rules don't specifically state that, but the implication's there...

"Posts and links about fundraising (including nonprofit fundraisers) are NOT permitted. Please do not post casting calls for Radio or TV appearances. Please do not post asking for information for research, surveys, or school projects."

Thanks BrokenHalo, for the idea though! You're right on when you mentioned the sheer number of people viewing these forums. We're so lucky really -- there's so much strength and support in numbers...
Old 07-15-2009, 12:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think this is the best treatment locator:

Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator

especially for finding low-cost and free alternatives. It is government sponsored and you can search by location. There are no advertising members which I think is a major problem with most internet treatment referral services. Otherwise you should contact your county's public health office and they could probably help you find help.

A free secular long-term program like Salvation Army that I know of is Delancy Street. Unfortunately they do not have as many locations as SA.

Delancey Street Foundation - Home
Old 07-15-2009, 01:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

2-1-1 Call Center Search

Check that site out. If they have a Crisis number for your area, I would call them first. I can't tell where you're located from your bio. Good Luck!!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I say this only for completeness, and to close a loophole big enough for any good alcoholic to dive through.

Detox can be done with an empty bed, a couple of friends, and a bottle. There are safer ways, and it helps to have some experience when doing this, but it's worked on more than one occassion.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

That way damn nearly killed me Keith.
The best detox, in 2009, is medically supervised. Full stop.

D
Old 07-15-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I say this only for completeness, and to close a loophole big enough for any good alcoholic to dive through.

Detox can be done with an empty bed, a couple of friends, and a bottle. There are safer ways, and it helps to have some experience when doing this, but it's worked on more than one occassion.
Have to agree with Dee on this one.

Hate to have to say this Keith but the 'original' ways the first 100 did it, is NOT really the accepted way any more, as now, in many states, if anything goes wrong, the 'friends' could be held liable.

Detoxing is VERY DANGEROUS and can end in death as mine did, so in this day and age, if we (those of us in recovery that still do this), at least I and those that do it here ........ only do it for an hour or two or three until we find a detox bed, and one of us with them is always an LPN or RN.

Love and hugs,
Old 07-15-2009, 05:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by NewLeaf View Post
NOTE: I think what's mostly been posted so far refers to the U.S. If anyone knows of what steps to take elswhere, please post those suggestions as well! Thanks.
Thanks for starting this Liz.

For anyone in Australia the best thing to do for detox/rehab advice would be to check out the links and phone numbers here (last post)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...resources.html

D
Old 07-15-2009, 06:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yes, regarding detoxing Keithj, we are *now* in the 21st century
Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread New Leaf.
I hope and pray that things are easier in others states/ countries than here in CA. Last year I finally went to the local ER/ hospital for detox. They took me in, but only because I had jaundice and couldn't keep food down. "Free" medical care was billed by 5 (!) different companies and my four days of supervision ran about $17,000. In the end, I only had to pay about a third of this, but it took months of phone/ paper work to get the companies to waive some of the fees.

I agree, we should get assistance if at all possible. I am sad to see that this *progressive city* is so lacking in resources; I've experienced much better opportunities in smaller towns. Home detox is harsh and dangerous and I urge anyone attempting to quit to get adequate support.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoosieQ View Post
Thanks for this thread New Leaf.
I hope and pray that things are easier in others states/ countries than here in CA. Last year I finally went to the local ER/ hospital for detox. They took me in, but only because I had jaundice and couldn't keep food down. "Free" medical care was billed by 5 (!) different companies and my four days of supervision ran about $17,000. In the end, I only had to pay about a third of this, but it took months of phone/ paper work to get the companies to waive some of the fees.

I agree, we should get assistance if at all possible. I am sad to see that this *progressive city* is so lacking in resources; I've experienced much better opportunities in smaller towns. Home detox is harsh and dangerous and I urge anyone attempting to quit to get adequate support.
I was just reading your thread, Soosie and was going to send you a link to this one! Glad you found it. Now I just hope you can find a place that works out.

I thought that might happen with some ER visits. Very frustrating especially when you have nowhere else to turn.

Good luck, and let us know if you find anything, ok?

Liz