Notices

Stress and Money

Old 07-14-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stress and Money

Well, good news and bad news. The bad news is I am broke. The good news is I don't have enough money to even buy any alcohol, even though I feel so stressed I really do want a drink today, and I don't drink during the week, just on weekends (not any more though). Payday is tomorrow and I am a single parent, and all my bills keep getting higher and higher, and I don't even know if I will be able to keep the electricity on.

I'm sure others have felt this way too. I feel hopeless right now. I make a decent living, but my bills are just exceeding my income. If only the kids and I could give up eating!! LOL!!

How do you handle it?
Old 07-14-2009, 02:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its pretty tough for a lot of us right now in today's economy with layoffs etc as well.

I used to spend a lot of money on going out drinking (restaurants, pubs, home etc.) Not only on me but being the big spender when I was drunk, I racked up some pretty crazy bills.

Thank God & myself that I don't do that anymore.

I hope things get better for you citygirlalways

Take Care,

NB
Old 07-14-2009, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
It is hard, I'm struggling with the economy too, got stuck with a house I couldn't sell and a little more debt than I'm comfortable with. But I've gotta say that since I quit drinking I find myself coming up with the money when I need it, and most of the time I've got a little spare cash in my pocket since it's not going towards alcohol or any unnecessary expenses.

I have continual faith that God will provide me with everything I need. I'll have a roof over my head, clothes on my back, and food on the table.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's hard everywhere I think.

If I'm really struggling with the budget, I make sure I make payment plans for my bills - well ahead of the due date.

I used to panic about it and put off doing something until the roof caved in - I was always in credit trouble.

I've never had a bad experience doing things this way

D
Old 07-14-2009, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey, I was planning my accidental suicide for my family to have insurance but I was to drunk to think so I checked into rehab. 21 daze with me paying 20%--cost me many thousands that I don't have but I'm sober to get it. 99 daze now and I wouldn't trade the worst of them for my best day drunk. You know, for the first time in my life I realize I am priceless. Namaste in poverty and peace.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. You know what, I'll be okay. I always am! Plus, I've been spending around $25.00 a week on brewskies, so I'll have an extra $25 a week for bills. Things will work out. Sometimes I just get too stressed and worried about things and freak out a bit. Sorry.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

No need to be sorry. We've all freaked out over stresses at different times. it will get better.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not that it's any consolation, but I'm freaking out about money these days too. Seems to be going around.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm not sure where you are, but you might want to find out if there are some free financial planning services where you live. They might help you get creditors from always contacting you, it that's happening, and setting up payment options. Make sure it's a legit service and not someone looking to get you more into debt. Also, there might be something like WIC (women, infants, children) which can provide some food for your family.

best of luck to you.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
mergirl

I am toughing it out today as well, but I am 6months sober +, and I find that turning to exercise and ice cream, my new drugs, is cheaper, more efficient and better for me in the long run.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You might want to check into what resources are available
to you as a single working parent.

My Food Stamp....a federally funded program....keeps me
fed for most of the month. Thus I have funds for
other necessities. Local food banks are also useful.

I'm with Dee...a little planning can go a long way.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 07-15-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by citygirlalways View Post
How do you handle it?
This is going to sound bizzarre, but I handled it and still handle it by recovering.

Almost everyone I meet in early sobriety is convinced to a man (or woman) that if their life was all better, then they wouldn't have to drink. If they could just get the job or the girl or the bills or the kids or the debt or the car or the whatever else it is, then they would be alright.

The focus on the outside issues prevent them from focusing on recovery. If you're an alcoholic in very early sobriety, you have just one problem.

I found that when I recovered (through AA's 12 steps), I was in a position to take care of the job and bills and relationships, and whatever else. Prior to that recovery, I was just spinning my wheels on those things.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was a single parent w/o any child support for most of my daughters life and yes it was difficult. I often lived off of Ramon(?) noodles or macaroni and cheese, sometimes just on popcorn, and my daughter ate vienna sausages (we called them meat sticks). It's tough but it's it's got to be easier sober.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Keithj, you make a very good point. I will work not to get distracted from my main goal, which is to maintain sobriety!!! And I make a decent living, I have just created a lot of debt (I would agree to almost anything when snockered - I'm a happy and generous drunk) and trying to pay everything is really stressful. I rarely get child support, but I don't qualify for any type of assistance either. And, I've lived on ramen noodles and spaghetti before and I can do it again!! I'm going to stay sober, pay my bills, get my debt under control, and live a better, cleaner and happier life!! Thanks everyone! Ya'll are great!
Old 07-15-2009, 08:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

I have relied on a lot of help from my parents, which at my age (40) is quite humbling. I found that, personally at my stage of recovery (early) I could not handle my own money. So I basically gave my father access to all of my account information, gave him my paycheck, he paid my bills and gave me "spending money" and would only give me more if I gave him receipts accounting for where the money he gave me went. Kinda sad that it's come to that point, but I've found there just aren't that many folks out there willing to provide free booze and drugs!!

Eventually I will work toward taking back control of my finances, but for now, it's helping me stay clean and sober. Definatelly not a solution for everyone, but it's what I needed. Take care.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

There are a lot of people in the program I'd like help financially, but they all usually show up at meetings with cigarettes and soda pop.

I can't believe the number of 'broke' people that can afford cigarettes.

Now, instead of giving people money, I will buy them food or a shirt or something.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Oh, I wasn't wanting anyone to give me money. I was just stressing out. I firmly believe that I got myself into this mess, and it is my job to get myself out. I just got a bit flipped out stressing over it yesterday! I had an electric bill over $300 that just sent me over the edge, but I've got it all worked out. No fast food for the next 2-4 weeks, no soda pops either, but I'm going to be just fine!