Notices

Dream of alcohol relapse

Old 07-13-2009, 12:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dream of alcohol relapse

~I had a very vivid dream last nite of going back drinking. I was in a bar with friends and the drink was put into my hand, before I knew it I was drinking and drunk again. Is this normal? It was very vivid and unnerving. I was very relieved to wake up sober. I was considering all the usual variables in my head during the dream, The regret, the hopelessness, guilt, etc etc. Is this a normal thing?

ps I am nearly 6 weeks sober and have no intention of going back drinking!
Old 07-13-2009, 12:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I recall others that have posted about this before, sounds like more like a nightmare for us recovering alcoholics. I am sure that others will be posting up that have had that experience.

Congrats on your sober time
Old 07-13-2009, 12:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It can only mean one thing! It means that you're asleep.
It's perfectly normal. When I do it I am usually drinking beer out of a bottle and I just have one.
I've never drank beer out of a bottle and I never had just one.
That's the weird part.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I get them every-night practically. Usually drinking/drugs, used to love/laugh about them back in the day (free-trip and all that) now I don't particulalrly like them.
It is my subconscious wirring away as this whole sobriety thing causes me loads of anxiety about not wanting to ever drink again but being resigned to it in a way, due to past experience, I genuinely have no desire to drink again now though, so hopefully I will only ever drink again in my dreams.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wasnt panicked by it, more relieved when I woke up. I think that if you get too wound up by stuff like this it leaves recovery more difficult than it should be. At least I had no hangover when I woke, and no, Im not going to drink again as a result of this dream!
Old 07-13-2009, 03:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Be vigilant though mate, the mind is a powerfull tool.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Eddie, strange that you mentioned that. I had a very vivid dream the other night, too, about being drunk/out of it/confused even though the dream did not involved drinking. I went to someone else's house after work and thought it was my own. Also in the dream I had 3 dogs and I was so out of it that I had let them loose and did not know where they were (and was worried sick about them). Then I got a call from my mortgage broker who said my re-fi fell through, so I started crying and telling him how mixed up I was and did not know how it happened. I actually *felt* drunk in the dream. You can imagine how happy I was when I woke up and was normal and clear headed again. I think my dream was stress related, but it was unnerving to feel that confused and lost and it reminded me of my drinking days.

Good job on the 6 weeks. I'm doing much better now after a few setbacks

Laura
Old 07-13-2009, 04:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

OMG!! Yes!! Before my one year I had dreams a lot that I relapsed and would wake up freaking out that I ruined my sobriety date. I still have them occasionally and I know they're due to stress or fears. Totally normal.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Perfectly normal Eddie - I haven't let them trouble me - it's been many months now since I had one.

D
Old 07-13-2009, 02:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes this is very common. I even woke up with a hangover from a drinking dream, which went away when I realized it was a dream and I did not relapse.