Notices

Hello - My Story

Old 07-12-2009, 02:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello - My Story

Hi everyone,

I am a 31 year old female who has a drinking problem. I've always struggled with drinking too much, but lately it's become a daily habit. I think I've had at least 4 glasses of wine and now working my way up to 6-8 a day for the past 5 weeks. I've used a break up as an excuse to completely let myself go. Before the break up, I was still having about 4 glasses of wine every other day. No one knows how much I've been drinking. As a matter of fact my ex thinks I stopped drinking due to anti depressant medication. That was my intention, but once again I've been breaking my word to myself and others. Most days I just can't bear the pain and heartbreak. We broke up cause of my depression, so I went for help but haven't really been using it. I drink to not feel, then I get more depressed. And I've been stuffing my pain with food. I bet I've put on 5 pounds in 5 weeks. UGH. I'm already 30 pounds overweight as it is.

I know this has to stop or I'll never be happy.

I've been to AA once before about 3 years ago and went without alcohol for a month. I'm thinking it is time to go back. I want a life again. I want to go to the gym and cleanse my body of alcohol and feel alive again.

Anyways that is it for now - thanks for reading
Old 07-12-2009, 03:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Angela

Welcome to SR
This place is great for support advice and encouragement - I think you'll like it.

It's a bad cycle to get into drinking, and eating, to stop depression - not to mention drinking can hamper the effectiveness of your anti-d's.

I'm glad you're doing something about it now.

This place, and face to face help like AA, seems to be a good mix for most of the people here.

Hope to see you around some more
D
Old 07-12-2009, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Hi Angela, I hope you stick around. I go to AA and it works for me, , I made some really good friends I can share and talk with with. keep posting.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Focus

Wow Angela... I can totally relate. I'm 29 and was drinking your levels (well 6-8 servings of wine on a daily basis) for some time. Also no one knows how much I drank bc I did it alone MUCH of the time (not all). Even had some mild withdrawal symptoms when I stopped. You are right about one thing IMO... the break up is merely an excuse! I used debt as mine and the fact that my brother keeps me supplied with cases of great free wine (doesn't help).

YOU don't need this... WE don't need this. I don't use food to take away the thoughts of alcohol etc... but I do stay on the internet whenever I have thoughts about it (which isn't much better).

I agree, get to the gym, get off those 5 lbs because you will feel SOOOO much better... and less depressed. Right now you are probably being too hard on yourself, but it is great that you recognize the problem and are promptly addressing it. Maybe AA is right for you (don't know, never been to a meeting)... maybe you need to join a formal exercise group (bc I know to keep up a committment like that, I wouldn't be able to drink at those levels). Find what YOU can do...and if you need support, this seems like the place to come.

My most recent excuse that I put a bottle of wine in the freezer to chill it for 30 minutes (was supposed to be for company) and forgot about it. When I got home the following morning, the cork had popped up out of the bottle bc of the pressure and constriction of the glass bottle. For about 5 minutes I thought "what a waste... I should just drink it rather than ending up throwing out a perfectly good bottle of wine after a week of not drinking." That was yesterday... and I didn't have it. You don't have to either!
Old 07-12-2009, 05:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Angela and welcome to SR!! This is a great site and there is tons of information, support and threads for you to go through.

My hope for you is that you go to an AA meeting and raise your hand.

Ask for a sponsor and talk to her about the steps, why they work and how they keep you sober. I a BIG fan of the steps!!! Love them.

I wish you the best and glad you're here.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are here with us....Welcome...
Old 07-12-2009, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to our recovery community - I, too, lost relationships due to my depression and used the breakups as an excuse to really have at 'er - I think your intention to go back to AA is a good one. Recovery can be painful, but no less so than the depression and isolation I put myself through while living with active addiction.

I look forward to reading about your own recovery progress.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Miracles Happen

Welcome to SR, glad you found it. I use AA meetings in my recovery process. Good luck and please keep posting.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I just ordered a book from the library that deals with the cycle of food, alcohol and depression. I don't remember the exact title since I have not received it yet, but PM if you want it and I will look it up for you.

You're in the right place. Glad you're here!
Old 07-12-2009, 08:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Angela...Welcome to Sober Recovery! This looks like a great place for support. I am new here too.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

Welcome to SR and
keep coming back.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR angela001