Notices

Do you ever think.........

Old 07-12-2009, 02:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do you ever think.........

how much you have ever spent on your drug(s) of choice? I did a little work out last night and I got angry with myself. I reckon about 100 grand.

If this is in the wrong place gladly move.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Focus

I think about this all the time... esp after a night of drinking where I lost control and was spending $ on alcohol. What is worse Spen, if you are like me... is adding into it how much it cost you to pay out on all the promises you made to people while you were drinking. "Oh, I'll pick you up one of those" or "sure, we can do that (expensive activity) tomorrow" etc. Sometimes I can be so overly nice to people when I drink Then other times, WATCH OUT (those haven't resulted in loss of $...yet)!
Old 07-12-2009, 12:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Disposable Hero

The huge amounts of money that i spent on drugs amounts to nothing when
compared to the spiritual, mental, emotional, & physical price i paid every day.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

way too much money, but i feel i paid more in loss of self respect, dignity and trust of loved ones---
money is important, can't really survive without it, but it doesn't compare to all the other stuff alcohol has cost me.....
Old 07-12-2009, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't think this is really a worthwhile excercise. Personally, it takes a certain amount of energy to come up with an actual number, and even then it is a very rough estimate and probably not entirely accurate. But then, given the huge number and taken to guilt about how much money I wasted and what I could have done that was productive with it etc. So what? It is all gone now and there is nothing I can do but move forward. It may be useful to recognize this as a facet of the destruction that drugs/alcy can cause but it doesn't do much in terms of what I need to do moving forward. Plus, money alone was never a big enough deal to get me into recovery. If it was I would have been here years ago. All it really does is puts me in the wreckage of the past--not the best place to be.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Funny you should post this today. I was just going over my budget and realized that I'm spending $350 a month paying off credit cards and loans to cover my last major "binge". I've tried to figure an amount out in the past, it's well north of 100k. Pot was my DOC, can't imagine what I would have spent if I was into coke or some other more expensive drug!! Generally I'd spend between $200 & $300 a week and pot and alcohol, sometimes more.

Yup, life would certainly be different in many ways if I hadn't chosen the path I chose. But all I can do now is try not to repeat the mistakes I've made in the past.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wolfchild View Post
The huge amounts of money that i spent on drugs amounts to nothing when
compared to the spiritual, mental, emotional, & physical price i paid every day.
Perfectly said.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
it's a movie, you're the star

Yup. But, I also think about how much money i'm saving by not using now
Old 07-18-2009, 08:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yeah...we figured one time between 3 of us we spent about 500K.....it's amazing.

But....i like what bubbles said...think about that you can not continue to spend that sort of money.

And think about the time you will get to spend with family, with hobbies...think of all the positives you will gain each sober day.

I also believe that not everything from my drunken past was bad .... I did some good along the way.....so....I try to just accept it for what it is and move forward (hug) spen
Old 07-18-2009, 08:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spen71 View Post
how much you have ever spent on your drug(s) of choice? I did a little work out last night and I got angry with myself. I reckon about 100 grand.

If this is in the wrong place gladly move.
I never caculated how much I spent overall, but I do know that my last drink cost well over $5,000.00, if you include the DUI fine, court costs, lawyer and treatment. Now I'm working on what I have saved, since I haven't had a drink in over 5 years. Not just money, but peace of mind, zero hangovers, zero loss of memory and just maybe a life or two were saved, since I'm not on the road drunk. No more "yets" for me.