Book discussion . . . OT

Old 07-08-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Book discussion . . . OT

I was browsing the used book sale area of my local library and came across Playing It by Heart (Taking Care of Yourself No Matter What) by Melody Beattie. The sub-title alone roped me in - boy do I need to learn how to take care of myself, NO MATTER WHAT. So I splurged w/$2 buck and bought the book. (She is the author of Codependent No More, which is recommended many times here on SR.)

The first 1/2 has been Melody's story and OMG! I wasn't even aware of her history, WoW . . . is all I can say. She has struggled and is apparently in recovery from a pretty bad drug addiction. (Forgive me if I phrase it incorrectly.)

I'm still reading the book. I haven't gotten to the "magic" answer part of how to take care of myself no matter what - I'm still 1/2 always searching for the magic - but I thought I would just share about the book anyway. (It amazes me the number of people who haven't heard of her or Codependent No More. I first heard about it probably 15 years ago. (But, admittedly, I was in an abusive relationship and had an alcoholic father so if someone passed along a book suggestion that one would make sense . . . duh.)

Joan
Old 07-08-2009, 12:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
BBD

Sounds like you found a winner Joan. Let us know the magic answers. How's everything with you and your son?? I haven't been here too much but do read as much as I can. Staying on top of this addiction thing will be a lifetime career for me. Life is good here.....hugs, Bonnie
Old 07-08-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hadn't heard of that book...I thought I knew most of her writings. Yes, please let us know what you think when you finish it. Maybe we can pass it around