self-love

Old 07-08-2009, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

self-love

No, this is not about something naughty Not that kind of self-love - lol

Anyway, something hit me like a bolt of blue this morning. Maybe it's because I re-read a MySpace blog I wrote after watching the show Intervention (see my earlier post on this)

this is the crux of the whole issue and why I can no longer stay with my axbf any longer.

I love myself way too much to stay with someone who is destroying himself.

I care about my own wellbeing way too much to continue to endure the stress, hurt, and pain my xabf's drinking has caused me.

It's that simple.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey,

I think we posted at the same time, because I was just asking this question!!!

Miss
Old 07-08-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting to my HAPPY PLACE!

I love myself way too much to stay with someone who is destroying himself
That is probably the main reason I ended my relationship with xabf. Not only was he destroying himself - but I was destroying MYSELF by staying caught up in the drama and turmoil.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yep, I hear ya.

You're from Virginia? Me too!

Originally Posted by lovtolaff View Post
That is probably the main reason I ended my relationship with xabf. Not only was he destroying himself - but I was destroying MYSELF by staying caught up in the drama and turmoil.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Power is not having to respond

Originally Posted by sandrawg View Post

I love myself way too much to stay with someone who is destroying himself.

I care about my own wellbeing way too much to continue to endure the stress, hurt, and pain my xabf's drinking has caused me.
I might add to my own "self love" that I love myself way too much to stay with someone who's destroying himself, and taking me with him!
Old 07-08-2009, 07:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

after i realized my own quacking, i loved him, quack quack, i loved him so much, quack and putting the mirror infront of me i realized i am not very close to loving anyone as i do not love myself. self love is vital, no wonder i have been so unstable all these years! i feel self love is the key to sanity and health. thank you for this thread!

i realized the same thing you realized, after 9 months of mourning LOL i guess some of us are slow learners
Old 07-08-2009, 09:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You're welcome!

Originally Posted by TakingCharge999 View Post
after i realized my own quacking, i loved him, quack quack, i loved him so much, quack and putting the mirror infront of me i realized i am not very close to loving anyone as i do not love myself. self love is vital, no wonder i have been so unstable all these years! i feel self love is the key to sanity and health. thank you for this thread!

i realized the same thing you realized, after 9 months of mourning LOL i guess some of us are slow learners
Old 07-09-2009, 06:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

In my early recovery days, I was babysitting my niece, who is just a funny, smart, loving, thoughtful kid -- gives out lots of hugs, gets along with others without caving, takes care of herself. I had a blinding flash of love for this kid, my brother's daughter, and I realized that in that moment, I could personally kill, with my bare hands if necessary, anyone who tried to hurt her. That moment of fierce love was frightening and exhilirating.

When I was home again, locked in the drama and chaos of living with an alcoholic/drug addict/sex addict, while writing in my journal I had an epiphany: I did not love myself in the same way. I wasn't willing to defend myself, and my own right to be serene and happy, the way I was willing to defend my niece. I allowed bad things to happen in my life because I didn't love myself enough to say no to them.

It was a huge moment in my awakening from the nightmare of codependency.

After many years, I can finally say that I would protect my own happiness with the same ferocious efforts I'd use to defend my niece. Finally.

Thanks for this thread, sandrawg!!